General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

65 cutlass sending unit location

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM

65 cutlass sending unit location

do i need to drop the tank to change out my sending unit?? i believe when i was installing my exhaust system, i saw it on the back side of the gas tank, near the rear differential. in that case, i don't think i would have to drop the tank, i may be mistaken though.

is there any DIY threads on this?? it seems simple enough, but i'm just not clear how it mounts into the tank. my new sending unit came with a round washer/bracket type of thing & a round rubber O-ring. i am unsure of what goes where. any help would be appreciated!!
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:18 PM

You are right, no need to drop the tank. There is a lock ring which holds it, and a large rubber "O" ring which seals it. I take the lock ring loose with brass hammers and punch (no sparks) but I am sure there is a special tool for it.
My pickup was leaking where the tube goes through the housing, not enough to create a wet spot, just enough to stink up the garage with fumes where the gas evaporated as fast as it leaked out. Anytime you put too much gas in the tank it smelled the garage up. I bought a new one, removed the old one. When I looked at it I decided to take it to the local radiator shop. He re-soldered it and it is now fine and the garage smells,,,,well better than gas fumes,,,,if not actually good.
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM

awesome!! that makes my life alot easier, LOL.

so to remove the old one, i would remove the lock ring by breaking it loose and turning counter-clockwise? then remove the sending unit & O-ring. (i assume the rubber o ring should be between the sending unit & the tank itself??)
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
awesome!! that makes my life alot easier, LOL.

so to remove the old one, i would remove the lock ring by breaking it loose and turning counter-clockwise? then remove the sending unit & O-ring. (i assume the rubber o ring should be between the sending unit & the tank itself??)
Exactly.
Just remember the gas and fumes which can be ignited easily. Be careful.
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:19 PM

i'll probably cyphen out the remaining fuel before i remove the old sending unit....thanks 66luvr!!
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
i'll probably cyphen out the remaining fuel before i remove the old sending unit....thanks 66luvr!!
I do not want to seem silly here, but, I imagine you know already, just taking the fuel out is not going to prevent a fire, the fumes will be flamable long after all the liquid is gone, just please be careful, dont make sparks, you should be fine, remove the filler cap, have a fan blowing from the front to the rear under the car where you are working, go slow. You can use a piece of dense wood, like oak, and a dead blow hammer to prevent sparks when removing the lock ring. It is a pretty easy job really. I also think I would clean all the dust and dirt away before removal to help keep the tank clean.
Best luck, Mike
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM

yes, thank you. i was thinking eiter using a piece of wood, or maybe wrapping the tip of a screw driver with a rag a couple times to prevent metal-to-metal contact or something along those lines. but yes, lots ventilation and no sparks, got it!!