General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

63 s88 running problems, modulator/warning light relay

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2013, 09:58 AM

63 s88 running problems, modulator/warning light relay

Welp, the car began acting funny about 2 days ago, the trans started shifting hard and at high rpm, and at idle it makes an audible ticking/buzzing noise and the car begins to flicker.

I had just put in a new voltage regulator and points along with cleaning up all of the wiring for the charging system/warning lamps, and the car charged the battery drove/shifted beautifully. after some aggressive driving though the car began flickering like this, and although the horn relay and warning lamps seem to be working fine, I believe the light relay to be buzzing and the car begins to flicker along with the tick. is it most likely the relay making the car run this way?

then someone said 'check the modulator', and I looked under the car at the trans and found a line that runs to a canister-shaped thing with a curled end off of it, which I believe to be the modulator. however there is no line attached, no extra hose/open port, and doesn't look like there has been a line on it for a while or atleast since ive had the car, and it shifted great until now. is this the modulator and should there be a vacuum line on it, if so from where?