General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

500 low mileage originals to be auctioned

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2013, 03:41 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

500 low mileage originals to be auctioned

I'm guessing this guy left his family a nice fortune by stashing original cars.
What a great guy..awesome.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/sal...icle-1.1392856

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/05/216901...up-for-auction
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM
same but different

There is going to be a lot of eyes on that auction. We'll be talking about the results for months. Or maybe not. Looking forward to reading about it none the less.
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:41 PM

Wow... I would love to have one of those, just to see what "original" is really like.
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Most of them were stored outside and look like rust junk. The few which were stored inside look interesting.

The auction company has done a great job hyping these cars. I bet they sell for a lot more than they should.

Last edited by Boiler_81; September 5th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:51 PM

I saw that on YouTube when they rolled them out. Little car dealership in the middle of nowhere NEB. Looks nice but no normal person will be able to buy anything.
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The ones that were inside will bring crazy money. I would guess there are no other 63 and 64 Impalas with less than 10 miles on them and the plastic still on the seats. There is a 78 pace car Corvette with like 10-12 miles on it and a 58 Cameo pickup that is new. There were some new cars that were put outside with no miles on them. The weather and thieves and vandals took their toll on these unfortunately. It would be fun just to watch this one.
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:10 PM

These auctioneers sure know how to get the word out. I bet I have seen this posted on every forum I frequent, at least 50 times total AND I saw this on NBC Nightly News!
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Wow... I would love to have one of those, just to see what "original" is really like.
You and me both Rob!
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM

Anybody notice the 4 speed Jetstar 88 ?
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...Star-88-2dr-HT
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:33 AM

“They are mostly Chevrolets and the vehicles with less than 20 miles will be the bells of the ball.”

Really?
Not the horns of the ball? The bells of the whistle?

I thought ***** were for belles and beaus.
Maybe these cars can go on to win at the "concourse" car show, which I guess is held at the airport? As opposed to the highfalutin "concours" car show.... details, details...

One Chevy Deluxe from the 1950s even has a 20-foot tree limb growing out of the bumper.
..."And that's why we're not washing them, and we're not getting them running, because we'll let the collector decide what they want to do with them, because they are true survivor cars," VanDerBrink says.
===============
I am not real sure a rusted out hulk that's been in the field for 30 yrs is rightly called a "survivor." Doesn't survival, by definition, mean that you are still alive, not dead yet?

Item Description:
you are bidding on a 1964 Oldsmobile Jet Star 88 2dr HT. 834K017019. the car is a V8 and no valve covers. It has a 4 speed transmission. 59,8487 miles on the odometer. Does not run and it has been outside. The interior is white vinyl bench . It does need work. Am radio. Manual windows and locks. there is some rust in the lower body. Some other parts missing. Cool car. This car is for Project, Parts, or Rod. Selling AS IS and ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO RESERVE. Immediate payment. Buyer is responsible for all purchases and must make all determinations off information given and may request more info or come in person during preview. Removal within 10 Days. Buyers may strip parts and leave the body. Buyer is responsible for all transportation and removal arrangements and expense. For more info www.vanderbrinkauctions.com or 605-201-7005.
=====================
I almost bid on that at $850. Have to sign up to bid I guess.
That's damn generous of them to let you take some parts and leave the $500 worth of steel there. Save you quite a bit of hassle.

Last edited by Octania; September 6th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old September 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM

I went through most of the pictures.

There is an awesome looking Oldsmobile convertible. Someone should jump on this one.

Old September 7th, 2013, 07:52 AM

They don't want to wash them and show the rust or cracked paint and don't want to get them running because the engines are probably stuck. You can't leave a car sit for over 30 years and expect it to run.
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM

I'd love to go to this auction, But i think not being a millionaire/Billionaire would just ruin it.. most of those cars are going to go for outrageous amounts... hopefully we have some million dollar check book holders in this forum, they can go buy something and we can all live vicariously through them! lol.
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:25 AM

taxes

The person responsible for this collection or his heirs will likely have the IRS way up his butt for tax evasion. That must have been some very creative accounting that went on at this dealership over many decades.

What a shame that the majority of the car were not stored properly & are mere shadows of what they should have been.
Old September 7th, 2013, 09:11 AM

maybe im missing something OldsmobileDave, but back in the day didnt dealers actually own the cars they where selling? or am I missing a tax since im not a dealer of cars I donno maybe there is something extra.. not nit picking or starting a fight.. Just genuinely curious
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Nasty455
I'm guessing this guy left his family a nice fortune by stashing original cars.
What a great guy..awesome.[
Great guy? Unless you are saying that tongue-in-cheek, I couldn't agree with you less. He was a hoarder with no regard to the consequences of his hoarding, which is typical of the affliction of hoarding as we have come to know it today. "Stashing original cars?" That's a stretch. These cars we left to rot with very little done to preserve them. I find that sad at best, and certainly not admirable.

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
What a shame that the majority of the car were not stored properly & are mere shadows of what they should have been.
Exactly.
Old September 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM

I am toying with the idea of going to the auction, strictly as an observer. It is only 2 states away from me.

It sounds as though, notwithstanding the ridiculously low mileage, these cars will require more than a little TLC to get them up to snuff. One needs to be able to have eyes and hands on the cars to see in what condition they really are.
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:34 PM

Here's a link to some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11104...CMbHwK65_7bbJQ

They are already taking bids at proxibid.com
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:29 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Considering the guy probably paid $1K-3K for each car I'm thinking he will do alright.
I sure wouldn't pay someone to sell off the cars though...auction company will be taking most of the profits.
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:52 AM

Auction companies normally take at least 10 percent. The cars with no miles on them will still take a ton of work to get running due to improper storage. It don't look like anything really rare or super valuable cars so no big deal. If he had 427 vettes or ZL1 Camaros that would be different. Just my two cents worth!