General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

4GC Carbs

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:36 AM

4GC Carbs

If I dont start my 65 Olds at least once every day, the next day it turns over for a while before it goes....no gas in the carb..

Do these carbs have a plug in the bottom or is there a reason why the gas seems to be draining out overnight?...Just trying to get a heads up before I pull it apart...It has been like this since I got the car two years ago...Other than this the carb is great
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM

A common problem for Quadrajets not sure about the GC's, but yes the casting plugs leak by and the bowl empties thus the bowl must fill again with gas pefore the engine will fire.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442scotty
If I dont start my 65 Olds at least once every day, the next day it turns over for a while before it goes....no gas in the carb..

Do these carbs have a plug in the bottom or is there a reason why the gas seems to be draining out overnight?...Just trying to get a heads up before I pull it apart...It has been like this since I got the car two years ago...Other than this the carb is great
Ok, here's a (maybe) dumb question. When you go to start your car, do you just turn the key, or do you press the gas to the floor before you do?

Here's the reason I ask. On one of our old (2GC equipped) Cutlasses, all you had to do was barely tap the gas enough to close the choke and it would fire instantly when you turn the key.

On my 1983 Regency, (equipped with a 4bbl) You had to press the gas to the floor 2X before turning the key, but it would fire right away.

My 1972 Cutlass is equipped with a 7042250 4BBL and it's exactly the same. Press the gas to the floor 2X and turn the key. (If it's been sitting for a long time, I usually crank it for about 7-10 seconds to get the oil circulation going before I pump the gas).

Even the Owners manual for Cutlass states to Fully depress the accelerator before starting a cold engine. (ref: Page 16,17 1972 Owners Manual).

Hope this gets rid of your problem. Haven't run into very many GM 4BBLs that start any other way.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM

All of mine seem to be starving for gas and need to warm up as soon as they light up.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM

[quote=Allan R;82378]Ok, here's a (maybe) dumb question. When you go to start your car, do you just turn the key, or do you press the gas to the floor before you do?

Here's the reason I ask. On one of our old (2GC equipped) Cutlasses, all you had to do was barely tap the gas enough to close the choke and it would fire instantly when you turn the key.

Mine definitely has no gas in it...takes about 10 secs and a lot of pumping if I leave it more than a day...I can leave it for 8 hours, turn the key with mild pedal pressure and vroom! way she goes...time to pull her apart...need to get a kit from up your way...