General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'49 rocket 88 restoration help

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM

'49 rocket 88 restoration help

I am trying to find a reasonably priced restoration expert for my 49 Olds Rocket 88 here in the Valencia, CA area (near L.A.). I want someone who does the work in his shop, not a middle man who charges a premium to find people to do the work. I am getting ridiculous quotes from guys who only take the car and broker the work out. So far it woud cost more than the car is worth with the quotes I am getting!

I want an honest guy who will work with me on this without charging me an arm and a leg to get this done. Thanks for any help. I can be reached at 818-284-2080

Last edited by 49 Rocket; April 28th, 2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: wanted to add something to it
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Administrator

If you are going to restore a car through your wallet, it's going to be high. A lot of shops do broker out some of the items, interior, paint, engine, trans, etc. Not saying there aren't one stop shops out there, it's just getting harder to find.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM

I'm finding that out. I was just hoping to find someone here that may know a shop I can trust to do the work and not try and rip me off along the way.
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Hard to find a shop that can do all jobs equally well. I wouldn't want my engine guy doing my upholstery nor my painter working on the transmission. Why not part the work it out yourself, often you get a better job and faster service at a better price. That's been my experance.....Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM

I gree with you Tedd. That is the best way to handle this. The problem I am having is finding those individuals that handle each part of the restoration. That's why I have been getting quotes from middle men. If you know of any restoration guys in my area, please let me know.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:14 PM

restoration

My best advice to you would be forget trying to find someone in your area. Expand your search to nation wide. The $2000 dollars you will spend in transport fees will be made up for in quality reputable work that could be done outside of your area. It does become more difficult to drop in and take pictures or consult, if your car is being built on the other side of the country, but you would probably save money and have a much nicer car in the long run.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. But where do I find someone I can trust nationwide?
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
My best advice to you would be forget trying to find someone in your area. Expand your search to nation wide. The $2000 dollars you will spend in transport fees will be made up for in quality reputable work that could be done outside of your area. It does become more difficult to drop in and take pictures or consult, if your car is being built on the other side of the country, but you would probably save money and have a much nicer car in the long run.
I personally like having my car near where I can keep a hand in the decision making that always comes up or catch the mistakes that others don't see. LA is such a huge populated area there has gotta be a bunch of good restorers there. Have you gone to many car shows and asked who is recommended either whole car or piece meal? most guys are very opinionated on who works on there car, you should get some ideas there....lost in the fifties ....Tedd
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Guess it's time to start going to car shows!