General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The 455 I bought shows up as a 403

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM

Unhappy The 455 I bought shows up as a 403

Ok Guys, I'm kinda embarrassed to tell you all about my engine that finally showed up today. I was told I was buying a 455, and expected to get a 455. I actually did have some reservations about what I would get. I'm upset, but not totally. Not being an Olds guy, I started looking for casting numbers of any kind which look familiar with the ones mentioned in the tech section. First, the exhaust manifolds matched numbers for a small block. Then later on the right side of the block about center under the manifold I found a "403" cast in the block. I guess I wasn't all that surprised, but somewhat disappointed. Anyway, since its not a 455 I'll deal with what I have. I was really only expecting a decent engine to get this 56 running anyway. A call back to the yard that pulled it now says, "I was told it was a 455." So now I have a 403 which does look rebuilt. Has the numbers 557265 4 b cast up frt. He claims when he started it that it sounded super good and is cammed up. I have a 56 4 door I was planning on putting the 455 in. I now will use this engine. It does have some goodies on it. I do believe him in saying it runs very well, as he is a friend of my employee. I can believe he wasn't sure himself on the engine. Will this fit in my 56? Change motor mounts and use this short shaft TH350 that came with it? I guess now I can use small block mounts and pedestals? The trans has a C11 up towards the front and a "7" cast in each side. I am assuming its a short tail shaft TH350, but I don't know for sure. It's all together, just as he pulled it. I'm not wanting to spend tons of money on this car. I got everything with this 403 from radiator, trans crossmember, driveline, etc. He gave me everything. I'm convinced I need to be happy with a rebuilt engine and just install this 403. Please give any advice, guy! Thanks, Lyle
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM

The 403 should be fine to use. I cant tell you what would be involved in putting it into a '56. If you all ready know what was needed with the 455 it should not be much different. It most likely depends on what car the crossmember came out of that will determine if you can use it or not. Sorry I cant give any more info.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM

Last edited by hamm36; September 23rd, 2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: wrong input, sorry.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by moparmusclecars
So now I have a 403 which does look rebuilt. He claims when he started it that it sounded super good and is cammed up . Will this fit in my 56
#1 Having chrome valve covers or other chrome parts on an engine from a junkyard does not mean its rebuilt. When it sounded ' cammed up ' that probably meant that it ran rough. Will it fit in a '56? Absolutely - with major modifications - and probably $1,500 more than you planned to spend.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM

Talking

Ok my intent with this post was to ask for some help on installing the "403" in my 56. I can tell by looking at the 403 that it indeed was rebuilt not too long ago by the new gaskets throughout the engine just for starters. Now I know you guys can beat me up on this, but I am sure I've got a recently rebuilt engine. I'm not wanting to debate, or have every statement I make over analyzed. Please keep focus on my request for assistance on the install. I own 19 cars currently, and I've looked at a lot of engines, and owned a lot of engines over the years. Point being, I'm merely asking for help on the install, not comments on what I bought. My concern is not with the engine itself. Thanks if you can assist with this install in regards to motor mounts, engine pedestals to use, etc. My plans were actually having to probably spend close to $1500.00 if need be on the 455 so this is no shock to me. Even though I'm capable of doing most of this work in my own shop, I am aware that items such as the radiator needing re-cored, gas tank cleaned, and unforseen items needed to complete the job do require spending money.

Last edited by moparmusclecars; September 22nd, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM

another member is in the process or just finished putting a 455 into a 56. there are mods that are required, but the iron is before my time, so i am not familiar beyond reading his posts. I want to say his handle is amh555 but may be inaccurate. The point of this post is that the info you seek is on the boards from a man who has done what you are attempting. the differences between a small block and a big block olds are minor. Deck height and with being the bulk of it, so it makes little difference as far as the process is concerned. I would look him up and start there. hope this helps
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Registered

Not me but wish it was. I put a 390 in a '55 Furd once but all you do is flip the motor mounts over.

Allan
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM

Look in the big block section under 455 engine swap. His swap should almost be the exact same. You do need to make sure of the trans you have. Check the trans pan and look up which one you have. My thought is the short shaft trans is better because of the X-member in you car. You will see when you look at the thread on 455 engine swap.
Gene
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM

Citicapp did the swap of the 455 into the 56. He is nearly done with his swap. He recently found that the steering gear box gets in the way of the universal engine mount. He had to fabricate his own mounts so the engine would fit.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
"me somebody" site member

Forgive me if this is wrong (as I don't know from personal experience) but I met someone years ago at the old Anderman motors / New England Olds Club show held in Meriden Ct. with a 455 powered early 50s Olds, and he told me that 1964 Jetstar 88 engine mounts helped with the install. This is because in that year ONLY, a "modern" Olds block (a small-block 330, actually) was used in an "early" Olds frame. Same guy also told me that the earlier Olds frames are similar enough to the '64s that will accept the '64 J88 mounts. Such mounts can probably be purchased from Fusicks. (ON EDIT: I have discovered that these mounts may not be so easy to source, sorry to say).
Again, this is just what I heard. The guy seemded knowledgeable, and as I recall he said this was an "old trick". Information gotten at car shows cannot always be relied upon to be 100% reliable, so I hope someone here can confirm.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; September 23rd, 2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Forgive me if this is wrong (as I don't know from personal experience) but I met someone years ago at the old Anderman motors / New England Olds Club show held in Meriden Ct. with a 455 powered early 50s Olds, and he told me that 1964 Jetstar 88 engine mounts helped with the install. This is because in that year ONLY, a "modern" Olds block (a small-block 330, actually) was used in an "early" Olds frame. Same guy also told me that the earlier Olds frames are similar enough to the '64s that will accept the '64 J88 mounts. Such mounts can probably be purchased from Fusicks. (ON EDIT: I have discovered that these mounts may not be so easy to source, sorry to say).
Again, this is just what I heard. The guy seemded knowledgeable, and as I recall he said this was an "old trick". Information gotten at car shows cannot always be relied upon to be 100% reliable, so I hope someone here can confirm.
Unfortunately, this is not correct. The 64 Jetstar 88 uses one-year-only mounts and they are completely different from the mounts used on the 394 in the other 64 88s. The 394 used a front mount with rear side mounts on the trans. The J88 used two side mounts on the 330 and a single rear trans mount. The J88 frame has mounting plates for the 330 that are unique to that car.

Most folks just fabricate or adapt an aftermarket engine swap crossmember.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
"me somebody" site member

Joe, interesting to know, but your post is a bit confusing to me at least, as you are comparing the 330 and 394 equipped 64 cars, whereas the original poster is interested in installing a 403 in a 56 Olds.

On edit (again!): OK, I think I get it, the early motors too had a single engine mount up front. Perhaps the man I spoke with somehow removed the frame pads as well from a J88 and welded them to his early Olds frame? Or fabricated a set to resemble them? Or was just plain full of it. Who knows.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; September 23rd, 2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM

Check my last postin 455 engine swap on the big block forum. I just posted pictures of my swap of a 455 into my 57. I outline some issues on the motor mounts and other items I also posted pictures showing motor mounts. Because of your steering box location a univerisal cross member mount will not work. I will be posting a sketch of what I did and the changes I will be making to improve this installition iin the next couple of weeks. Ask me any questions you have and I will respond. Not to difficult an install just takes time a mocking up a feq things
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM

Well the big thing with all the BOP engines is that since they are twice as wide as a SBC motor, non BOP people think they are big blocks.

The 403 is still a decent motor to build, which heads are on it? Should be 4A heads
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:55 AM

If you check past posts on 455 swaps into older cars you will find the Toro engine mount mentioned as well. I have often wondered if the front mount under the timing chain cover of a Toronado would make swapping a 455 into an older car easier.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM

Sorry citcapp and amh I was probably reading a lot of posts from you both and mixed you two up. I'll try not to do that again, but was add before they knew what it was. Can you say short bus any one I still love these guys
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Olds64
If you check past posts on 455 swaps into older cars you will find the Toro engine mount mentioned as well. I have often wondered if the front mount under the timing chain cover of a Toronado would make swapping a 455 into an older car easier.
I checked this out. It is to far foward. Two problems, the Toro is a front drive car so location is not an issue for stress because the rear of the engine is supported also. In the rear wheel drive configuration this mount puts all of the weight behind the engine and puts to much stress on the alumimun tabs connecting the transmission to the engine. The rear motor mount is located at the rear of the transmission. Just thing of the weight and stress driving down the road and punching it. Not good. My present mount location is at the rear of the front cross member using the first two side mount bolts which I will show in a diagram. I will also show my idea for center side mount custom built cross member as soon as I can mock it up and make aa drawing. Please be patient. With a stock 455 I believe My front mount which is easy to build will be fine. With a torque monstor like mine I will be moving the mounts back in the near future.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
Sorry citcapp and amh I was probably reading a lot of posts from you both and mixed you two up. I'll try not to do that again, but was add before they knew what it was. Can you say short bus any one I still love these guys
No worries, I didn't want have you go down the wrong path is all
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:12 PM

follow the yellow brick road...follow the yellow brick road...follow follow....
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM

I checked this out. It is to far foward. Two problems
Thanks for the info. I look forward to the diagram.