General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

455 horsepower

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM

455 horsepower

Hi everybody, I want to know how many horsepower for 1970 Olds 455, big valve "E" heads that have been ported and polished, Mondello pistons, Edelbrock roller cam (lumpy), and rockers, high volume oil pump, windage tray, ARP bolts, 10.5:1 compression, Holley 850dp?
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Why not go to the Comp Cams website where they have a horsepower estimator and find a similar grind roller cam to what you have. The estimator lets you add some of the other features and will estimate HP. All you are going to get is a rough estimate as there are too many variables including how well porting and polishing were done to get an accurate HP reading. Otherwise put it on a Dyno if you want exact calculations. I notice you said nothing about intake and exhaust modifications which will certainly affect HP and torque as well.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM

It has EDL torker intake and Flowtech headers
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

Originally Posted by DYSKIE
It has EDL torker intake and Flowtech headers
If not using one already I recommend using a 1 inch spacer on the torker, Car Craft saw a 30hp gain with their 455 build up. I reckon you may see @ 450 horsepower and @ 560lbs torque, Paul, 10 sec Old's Cutlass Supreme in the U.K.
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Why not go to the Comp Cams website where they have a horsepower estimator and find a similar grind roller cam to what you have. The estimator lets you add some of the other features and will estimate HP. All you are going to get is a rough estimate as there are too many variables including how well porting and polishing were done to get an accurate HP reading. Otherwise put it on a Dyno if you want exact calculations. I notice you said nothing about intake and exhaust modifications which will certainly affect HP and torque as well.
Could you post a link to this? Im very interested but cant find it anywhere.

Also, at Paul, do you think a torker with a spacer would make more power than a Performer or Performer RPM?

As for the original post, you'll need to post more info. Need to know more specifics on the cam, and pistons. But with what youve posted already id be comfortable estimating you at 400hp/500tq

Last edited by Vega; January 26th, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM

link to comp cams cam selection site: http://www.camquest.com/ You have to sign up but it is not a big hassle. The HP and Torque calculations are estimates only and the better the information you put into it the more accurate the results. The other thing I like is that you get a display of recommended cams and can plug them into the simulator to see what effect they have. On my 455 I chose to stay with a relatively low rpm cam as I did not do the oil restrictors nor chamfer the oil return passages or put in a special windage tray etc. that you would do if running frequently at high rpm over extended periods. I figured with an automatic transmission that the useful range was 1500-4500 rpm for street use.

If this link doesn't work go to the comp cams site and try to find the cam recommendation software through that.
Jerry
Old January 28th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

Originally Posted by Vega
Could you post a link to this? Im very interested but cant find it anywhere.

Also, at Paul, do you think a torker with a spacer would make more power than a Performer or Performer RPM?

As for the original post, you'll need to post more info. Need to know more specifics on the cam, and pistons. But with what youve posted already id be comfortable estimating you at 400hp/500tq
Old January 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

The Car Craft 455 build up was back in 2006 i think and the motor made 496hp and 565lbs torque with similar set up to you but with Edelbrock ally heads. Re manifolds the torker will make more horsepower ,as it is more free flowing , but you loose a bit of torque whereas the performer will have a bit more low end torque but loose a bit of top end hp. Depends what you want really, more snappy off the line or a top end charger.
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM

what's the difference between Mondello heads in Mondello site and the heads on summit racing site?
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

Originally Posted by DYSKIE
what's the difference between Mondello heads in Mondello site and the heads on summit racing site?
Only the price assuming they are Edelbrock, Mondello do offer a porting option but you will have to pay extra for that, apart from that they would be exactly the same.