General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 question

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2014, 01:28 AM

442 question

Did olds make ram air on the 442 in 1968 a option,this 442 forsale the guy said the ram air was installed as a option but it's not w30 car
Old November 5th, 2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by vingoea
Did olds make ram air on the 442 in 1968 a option,this 442 forsale the guy said the ram air was installed as a option but it's not w30 car
If it's not a W30 or W31 it did not get 'forced air induction' as an option.
Old November 5th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. I moved your post to it's own thread because you'll get better answers that way rather than resurrecting an unrelated thread that's been dead for two years.

First, no Oldsmobile was ever built with "ram air". That's a Pontiac trademark. Olds built cars with Outside Air Induction (O.A.I.), though sometimes the term "Force Air" was also used in factory literature. The distinction is a mystery of the marketing department.

As noted above, for the 1968 model year, the only factory-installed O.A.I. systems were on the 442, Ram Rod 350, and Hurst Olds. The parts were available over-the-counter from the parts department and many magazine articles suggested installing them for more performance. Some dealerships may have done this as well.
Old November 5th, 2014, 06:38 AM

Thanks Joe that clears up a lot,owner claimed it was oai option from olds and a matching motor but not a w30 car,he sent me pictures of the numbers off the block but not the serial number which would have matched up with vin,I suspect the motor was changed at some point,Thanks Al.
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:24 AM

Hi Vingoea. If the numbers match, I'd treat it as a numbers matching 442 with some extra go fast parts, but definitely not a w-30. Recommend doing your due diligence as it appears to be monkeyed with. We're here to help.
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Hi Vingoea. If the numbers match, I'd treat it as a numbers matching 442 with some extra go fast parts, but definitely not a w-30. Recommend doing your due diligence as it appears to be monkeyed with. We're here to help.
Agreed, but what indication some monkeying was done? It could simply be a 4-4-2 with OAI added and an owner who is full of it, unless I'm mistaken.
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:50 AM

Your practice can certainly differ, but, to me, a good gut-check for buying an original car is that nothing has been changed. That, and dust, and rust, and pitted chrome all matching. Anytime something shows up that wasn't originally there makes me want to look for anything else that may have been changed. Especially when what is added is a "clone category part," by which I mean something that is part of a higher option.

On the other hand, were it a 66 or 67, it'd simply be a trac pack.