General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 emblem spacing

Old May 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM

442 emblem spacing

Considering purchasing a 70 442. VIN# confirms its' originality. All the 442 emblems, trunk, fenders and front have incorrect spacing between the two 4's. They were installed with equal spacing between all numbers for some reason. I find it strange, but was wondering if that should be a "deal breaker" or wheather that is not uncommon. To me, it really doesn't make sense. Only thing I can come up with is that either the emblems may have been reproduction stick on type without the studs for the holes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by socalrs
Considering purchasing a 70 442. VIN# confirms its' originality. All the 442 emblems, trunk, fenders and front have incorrect spacing between the two 4's. They were installed with equal spacing between all numbers for some reason. I find it strange, but was wondering if that should be a "deal breaker" or wheather that is not uncommon. To me, it really doesn't make sense. Only thing I can come up with is that either the emblems may have been reproduction stick on type without the studs for the holes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Two thoughts. Most likely is that the front fenders have been replaced due to collision or rust and the emblem holes were incorrectly drilled. Check the tops of the fenders under the hood for the ridges that indicate 1971-72 fenders. Second, pull off the plastic bezel around the VIN and verify that the rivets holding the VIN tag are original.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:00 PM

442 emblem spacing

Those are good thoughts. Strangely, even the emblems in the front and on the trunk have incorrect spacing between the 4's,....so I'm thinking....I can understand that possibly the fenders have been replaced....but that would mean the trunk also was replaced as well as the sheet metal in the front. I have to say, I haven't a 442 with wrong emblem spacing in every location.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM

emblem spacing

I should add that the cowl tag is clean, with no paint and the rivets are not filled as they usualy are......would you mind if I email you a pic of the metal cowl tag for your opinion?

axelviejo@att.net
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Two thoughts. Most likely is that the front fenders have been replaced due to collision or rust and the emblem holes were incorrectly drilled. Check the tops of the fenders under the hood for the ridges that indicate 1971-72 fenders. Second, pull off the plastic bezel around the VIN and verify that the rivets holding the VIN tag are original.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:20 PM

cowl tag

florida cowl tag.JPG
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Can you post pics of these anomalies? Take a look at page 76 (4400 except W30) for the piercing pattern. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...9_-_Sec_11.pdf

The hood tooth on a 70 is pre-pierced from the factory and that part is not re-popped, although it could be welded and re-drilled. (should be able to see evidence of that from behind the tooth) What does the info on your cowl tag say?
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well you beat me to the punch - we both posted at the same time!

According to this tag you have a 442 built in Linden NJ on the 4th week of September 1969. The car should have black interior with bucket seats and power windows. I haven't seen a paint code like that, but it appears you should also have a black vinyl roof.

That cowl tag does look a little suspicious though - not that it's easier than average to read, but the cowl rivets are usually covered with a sealant at the factory. Could be someone just got way carried away with cleaning it?? Don't know.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM

cowl tag

The paint code is for sebring yellow and matches the car's color, and I believe the B is correct for its' black convertible top. the emblem spacing just bothers me....especially the front one. Like I said, the only reasonable explanation I have, is that emblems were put on that did not have studs on the back...if there even is such emblems available. It would make no sense that some one would redrill holes if the original ones were there?
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

D'oh 34467 Yes, convertible. My bad.
As far as the holes in the fenders. If they are replacement fenders (as Joe suggested checking), GM did not sell them to shops or consumers pre pierced. You had to do that yourself. Even at the factory, the assembly line had specific piercings that were on the build sheet for the car.

The numerals? Even repops have the mounting tabs. But to avoid drilling and fastening the numbers, a lot of folks will take the shortcut of cutting off the tabs and just double side taping them. It's not factory, but it does the trick and doesn't give water a chance to penetrate/rust. On the rear deck, have you tried gently prying the numbers up? From the factory they were set in place with barrell clips.