General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

425 Tune-up For Dummies.....

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2021, 06:36 AM

425 Tune-up For Dummies.....

Thanks to a few of you, I now know the 425 and 455 are interchangeable as far as parts. My question now pertains to a tune-up.....

1. Do these motors like a certain plug over another?
2. What is the proper plug gap (stock motor)
3. Does it require certain plug wires or can I use any for a BB GM motor?
4. Is there a step by step article somewhere on adjusting points? I am only familiar with HEI.

Any help is always appreciated.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:56 AM

My opinion:
What ever heat range plug your engine runs best at. Start with the manual that fits your engine year and adjust from that.
Any plug wires that are for any points type ignition will work.
Set the points with a good dwell meter. Adjust more or less as needed for the performance of your engine.
Old May 17th, 2021, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by StarRacer
Thanks to a few of you, I now know the 425 and 455 are interchangeable as far as parts. My question now pertains to a tune-up.....

1. Do these motors like a certain plug over another?

No

2. What is the proper plug gap (stock motor)

3. Does it require certain plug wires or can I use any for a BB GM motor?

7MM, I like Taylor Spiropro wires.

4. Is there a step by step article somewhere on adjusting points? I am only familiar with HEI.

You need a tach/dwell meter. Set the point dwell to 30*. If you don't have a meter, then use a feeler gage and set the point gap to .016 on one of high points of the distributor cam lobes.

Any help is always appreciated.
Always set dwell or point gap before setting your timing.
Old May 17th, 2021, 07:23 AM
Oldsdruid

You want a plug heat range "hot" enough to burn off deposits but not hot enough to cause detonation. AC R45 or equivalent is a good start. Gap at .030 or .035.

Use a good quality point and condenser set. NAPA Echlin or Standard Motor Parts Blue Streak are good. NOS Delco are even better if you can find them.

You need a dwell meter/tach to set them. Good ones are usually close enough out of the box to start the car. GM spec is 28 to 32 degrees of dwell and most engines run well at an even 30. Use a 1/8" allen wrench to adjust the points if needed. Access is thru the window in the distributor cap. There's a flexible shaft tool available to do this.

Set dwell first, then timing. I think the 425 spec is 5° before top dead center at 500-600 rpm but may need to experiment to eliminate detonation since modern gas is not the 100 octane leaded these engines thrived on when new. Adjust timing same as HEI by rotating the distributor with vacuum advance disabled.

If you don't have a dwell-tach or engine analyzer good working ones often show up on ebay and flea markets. Sears had a line of good ones for years. Dixco were good too and all the tool trucks had their own brands. I'll assume you already own a timing light.

Good luck and have fun!