General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

4 post car lifts

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM

4 post car lifts

Good afternoon,

I need to expand my current storage arrangements for my cars. I have been looking at getting 2 lifts installed side by side.

Currently I can only store 2 cars but i am looking to stack the cars so I can store 4 inside my garage.

Any feedback on the DirectLift ProPark8S? or other 4 post lifts?

http://www.directlift.ca/pro-park-8.htm

Thanks in advance

Sam

Last edited by 72xw30; April 28th, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:09 PM

I have one, We love it. Not much more to talk about. I did alot of checking around and talked to guys that service them and I was told Direct lift was the best lift for the money. Paid $1995.00 plus tax and picked it up locally. Set up was easy, we decided to bolt it to the floor after a couple months of figuring out exactly where to put it.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

I have a Bend Pak HD-9 9000 pound capacity extra wide and like it.

American made and built like a tank.

Check it out.

http://www.asedeals.com/garage lift.html

The pic is from a few years back, the Vista Cruiser looks a lot different now, the goat still looks mighty fine, the Vista is finer now.
Her debut will be soon.

Old April 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

I have a 4 post lift from Lifts Unlimited I bought a few years ago. American made by Eagle but I think they are out of business now. Backyard Buddy makes high quality American made lifts, I would buy one of those or as Allan said, from Bendpak. Don't know much about the Directlift model. I love having a lift, good luck with your purchase.
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Smile

I don't know the maker, but I have seen ads for a 2 car lift that spans a two car garage. Not sure if that is a good option or not, since it means having both lower cars out to get to one upper if you are going for a drive.
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Hey, you guys with lifts.
How high are your ceilings?????
I'm going to be putting up a barn soon and am currently planning on 12' Ceiling
for a future lift.

Sorry about jacking the thread.
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead1218
Hey, you guys with lifts.
How high are your ceilings?????
I'm going to be putting up a barn soon and am currently planning on 12' Ceiling
for a future lift.

Sorry about jacking the thread.
mine is 10'4" and is just tall enough. i could not get a truck high enough to put a car under it but 2 cars fit great. i would not want any lower than that.
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Thumbs up

I have a Direct Lift and it is well made, easy to assemble, fast shipping, and USA safety certified. I like it a lot!
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:09 AM

My cieling is 11ft 2 in. I can use the full height of the lift with a few inches to spare.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Just a thought on height clearance. In my situation which is probably common, the height of the open overhead door is often gonna be the limiting factor for storage purposes. How far off the ceiling the tracks hang will limit the height of the open door, aggravated by height limits dictated by a power door opener. I forget what my heights are but I have a balancing act that provides about 1" of clearance between OAI hood & overhead door rib which leaves me about 1 1/2" to fit an old ES300 daily driver under it. It's close & very little room for error.

Also take into account the width of a 4 poster. Again in my situation we park the kid's 70 Cutlass next to lift & it doesn't leave a lot of width going in & out w/ that car, have to be careful of garage door opening & lift post. IIRC it's an 18' door w/ appx 20' overall bay width.

Despite some ducking, bobbing, weaving & vertical limbo dancing, it sure is nice to have a lift in the garage!

Last edited by bccan; April 29th, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:38 AM

I went with Direct lift, but Gemini out of Texas makes it and sells it cheaper. Its a single post lift. Basicaly its a drive on fork lift. Works great no post in the way. Have had it 5 yrs and no problems. I have a ten foot ceiling and can fit two cars.
As for the garage tracks I rasied them by adding short lenths of track to the bottom. I did away with the gargae door opener, the sacrifice was well worth it.

70fendertrunkdeck002.jpg

Copyof1972442010.jpg

JKaz
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
Just a thought on height clearance. In my situation which is probably common, the height of the open overhead door is often gonna be the limiting factor for storage purposes. How far off the ceiling the tracks hang will limit the height of the open door, aggravated by height limits dictated by a power door opener. I forget what my heights are but I have a balancing act that provides about 1" of clearance between OAI hood & overhead door rib which leaves me about 1 1/2" to fit an old ES300 daily driver under it. It's close & very little room for error.

Also take into account the width of a 4 poster. Again in my situation we park the kid's 70 Cutlass next to lift & it doesn't leave a lot of width going in & out w/ that car, have to be careful of garage door opening & lift post. IIRC it's an 18' door w/ appx 20' overall bay width.

Despite some ducking, bobbing, weaving & vertical limbo dancing, it sure is nice to have a lift in the garage!
I didn't want my garage door opener hanging down inbetween the rails so I mounted my chain drive door opener on the wall and after some calculations determining the number of teeth I needed, I welded 1st gear off an old bike onto my spring shaft. It has worked fine for a couple years now.
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM

mn71w30 - That's a great idea. If you happen to see this post, can you count the teeth on your gears? What type of gear did you weld on - freewheel, fixed coaster brake. I would never have been so creative. I might just copy your idea, just have to do a lot of measuring & checking. How did you set stops?
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM

As best as I can remember the door opener has a fixed sprocket with 11 teeth. I counted how many turns it cycled while opening and closing. I think It was somewhere around 24. 11X24= 251 I then counted the revolutions it took for the main spring shaft to open and close. I think it was 8.5. 251/8.5= 29 teeth. I may be off on the numbers a little. My neighbor had a few junk bikes that had the exact chain size. First gear was a close match. I welded the gear to the spring shaft and set the limiters so the door closed and opened just where I wanted it. It worked perfect from the start. The unit has a built in pressure activated auto reverse if there is a problem. The motion lights will work the same I bypassed mine.
I think I bought a set screw type collar to fit on the shaft and welded the gear to the collar. I could then adjust the gear where I wanted it.

Last edited by MN71W30; May 11th, 2010 at 07:20 PM.