General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:12 AM

I recently acquired a 64 dynamic 88 with a 394. After getting the car home and putting in a battery it turns over easily but wouldn稚 fire, I知 not concerned about that I知 just glad it turned over. The car is junk i just wanted the engine as it is complete minus the generator. I have done a search on here and found some good options as far as adapting transmissions and rebuild parts which I知 very happy about.
I have a new 455 build in the works at the moment so I don稚 want to divert any funds from that project but when that is complete i will be looking for a project car to install this engine into, either a 30s coupe or a mid 50s sedan. I知 looking to build a more period correct hot rod to show and use as my road trip car. What are some good resources to do some more reading on this engine?
Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:19 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
What are some good resources to do some more reading on this engine?
The 1964 Oldsmobile Shop Manual is probably the best source of information on this engine .
It's a 5 book set , however you can sometimes find the volume that deals with engines separately on E-Bay .
It's really handy if you are going to re-build your 394 . Take it to the machine shop with you and share it with the machinist .
There's also a lot of good info in old (pre-65) Hot Rod Magazines . Many public libraries have them on microfiche .
Do you go on the H.A.M.B. ? Lots of good info there ; https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/
I recently did a mild 394 build . Here's a link ;https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ine-build.html

Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:52 PM

how long was it sitting? starting fluid might help, check for spark. did it start before you bought it?
Old September 23rd, 2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
The 1964 Oldsmobile Shop Manual is probably the best source of information on this engine .
It's a 5 book set , however you can sometimes find the volume that deals with engines separately on E-Bay .
It's really handy if you are going to re-build your 394 . Take it to the machine shop with you and share it with the machinist .
There's also a lot of good info in old (pre-65) Hot Rod Magazines . Many public libraries have them on microfiche .
Do you go on the H.A.M.B. ? Lots of good info there ; https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/
I recently did a mild 394 build . Here's a link ;https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ine-build.html
I read your build last night thank you for including all the pics. The car was parked in 1976. The points didn稚 want to open we only messed with it for about 30 min. I知 probably not going to mess with it anymore before i pull it. I really just wanted to make sure it wasn稚 stuck. Thank you for the link i will do some looking around.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:38 PM
Phantom Phixer

Is the hood on that 64 Dynamic any good ? (as in not rusted through .)
The guy who started this thread is " in desperate need of a hood " .
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nvertible.html

In fact ,don't throw anything away that might be used . Parts for these cars are hard to find .
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:44 PM
Phantom Phixer

That 394 would be a real bomb if you dropped it into a 49 or 50 Olds .
Old September 24th, 2018, 07:37 AM

The hood is trashed but i know where 2 more cars are so i may go buy them. I will have some stuff for sale, im just looking to recoupe my investment so if you need anything let me know. Once i get my money back anything useful will go for free.
Old September 24th, 2018, 03:36 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
Once i get my money back anything useful will go for free.
What a saint!