General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

215 driving impressions?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Registered car nut

215 driving impressions?

I know a few of you have (had) them. I'm considering one for swapping in place of a 4cyl. I'm not too concerned about tire smoking power, bound to be an upgrade to the old tired Volvo B20.
Mostly wondering about MPG. What did they get back in the day?
I'd adapt a modern O/D 200R4 is my guess. This would go in a VW squareback size car.

Any input would be great. If I can coax some decent (high 20's or better)
MPG out of one I'd try and do it.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

I had a 215 in a Vega wagon and now have my 62 F-85 wagon with a 215. Not a tire smoker, but some of the problem is the crappy RotoHydramatic 5 trans. I would suggest getting a 4.6 Rover version instead of the 215. More stock HP and torque, and all the 215 external parts bolt on.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Since you're talking a cross breed transplant, small block Chevy's probably the way, as can get parts for these anywhere. Maybe even step up to a lighter LS. One most don't think about, is GM's LY7 3.6 litre(217) DOHC V6. Have one in my daily Pontiac with 6 speed auto tranny. 60's in 6 seconds flat, and 28 mpg highway. GM's using more expensive direct injection versions of these in many cars, and have some gut's.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Registered car nut

Sort of a balance act between the cool factor and practical factor.
As is the Volvo in question is suppose to get 25 MPG. Per P.O.
I figure I need at least close to that. If the 215 is capable of getting close to that in this tiny car that would be good. I've thought of Quad 4 also.
Quad 4 could get very good MPG and would also be pretty cool but likely much more expensive.
LS sounds o.k. but really its not needed in such a small car.
Heck a V6 out of a Camaro/Firebird would be practical but lower on the cool scale.

The car is my wifes and she wants an automatic and though there is an adaptor to run a modern ATM with the B20 the kit is $900.00.
The 900.00 alone is not the end of the world but then we would have a gutless car that would be little fun to drive. Hence the engine swap idea.

And Olds power would just be fun but not necessary.
I do have a few Olds engines 350,425,455 but I"m thinking there a bit big.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Even in the UK where the 215 (popularly known as the Rover V8) has been a favourite in the hot rodding community small block Chevys & Fords are cheaper and produce more reliable power.
The 215s big adavantage is weight, it probably weighs about the same as your Volvos original 4 pot.
You also have a lot more transmission options if you go wth bowtie or blue oval. Don't forget Volvo is under the Ford umbrella nowadays, not that this makes any difference to the amount of work you will have putting any engine in the car didn't leave the factory with.

Roger.
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Even in the UK where the 215 (popularly known as the Rover V8) has been a favourite in the hot rodding community small block Chevys & Fords are cheaper and produce more reliable power.
The 215s big adavantage is weight, it probably weighs about the same as your Volvos original 4 pot.
You also have a lot more transmission options if you go wth bowtie or blue oval. Don't forget Volvo is under the Ford umbrella nowadays, not that this makes any difference to the amount of work you will have putting any engine in the car didn't leave the factory with.

Roger.
I've thought about a SBF but I like the 215 idea better. I do know the 215 weighs less than the 4 cyl. B20. Not by much. I could do alloy heads on a SBF to cut down weight but it just (at this time) does not interest me. In fact I am putting a SBF in another Volvo of my wifes currently. Pretty familiar with the Ford swap pros and cons already.
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Big advantage of pushrod motor, is compact size/weght. Owned a few late model Vettes, and can see why GM's sticking with the formula. The earlier mentioned GM 3.6 DOHC,s a bit large on the outside, but a real screamer, and friendly at the pump. Something to keep in mind.
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM

The GM 3800 series 2 and 3 is available with a supercharger (L67 or L32) and has good aftermarket support. You can easily get 350 HP and 400 Torque and mid 20's mpg with modification. Stock will do up to 240/280, and it's the same block as the V6 f-body. Bad part is the throttle body is on the wrong side, and it's all computer controlled so you'll need some tuning done. Motorswap.org has lots of info. You can also tune it down to run on 87, but at the cost of power. An L26 or L36 is the N/A version, another good choice if you're looking for decent mileage and power. L36 was used in the f-body, but also in FWD W-bodys so they are easy to find.
But still, not as cool, or a nice sounding as the 215. I have not been able to drive (or ride in) an a car with a good running 215 yet. My dad's had lots of problems and was not running well the only time I was in his, and I have only driven mine once, just to get it home, and it needs some work.
For gas mileage, I have been told the 215 will get about 20 mpg in my 62 cutlass, but I cannot conform that. Also thats on 93 with a bottle of octane booster...

Last edited by RyanFink; February 8th, 2012 at 05:40 AM.