General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2022 oca nationals

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2021, 04:49 PM
Olds Fever

2022 oca nationals

Info I am hearing from a reasonably good source is that the 2022 Nationals will be at Murfreesboro, Tenn again... Anyone heard otherwise or can verify???
Old November 8th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Oldsdruid

Haven't heard anything, but even though central Tennessee is a good location they're gonna burn out the Music City Rockets if they keep having it there. I've been involved in planning and execution of three National Meets and it's a lot of work.
Old November 9th, 2021, 06:02 AM

It was a great time, great people, great cars. Spent a great amount of $$$ on gas so if they have it there again I think next year we will drive our 1996 Cutlass there and get 30 mpg instead of trailering and getting 8 mpg.

I hate to sound so cheap but geez, those RUNAWAY prices at the pump these days are going to force more of us to make some decisions like this!
Old November 11th, 2021, 10:58 AM

Hope they have it in Murfreesboro again,surely they will make an announcement soon on the dates and location.
Old November 11th, 2021, 06:13 PM

also heard from an EXTREMELY reliable source.. now i gotta try to find new 235 70r15, 3/4" whitewalls for the Salon to make the trip. 12 hours on REALLY old tires is just not a good idea anymore...
Old December 16th, 2021, 10:56 AM

Has anyone heard any updates?
Old December 16th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldoldss
Has anyone heard any updates?
Edit: fixed date

Yes, Murfreesboro. Same venue as last year. Given the time it takes to plan a Nationals, and the late start on 2022, the only practical option was to rerun last year's Nationals. First week of July. Now there is sufficient time to plan 2023. One of the new features for 2022 will be an on-track driving experience, similar to what was done at Bristol in 2016.
Old December 16th, 2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, Murfreesboro. Same venue as last year. Given the time it takes to plan a Nationals, and the late start on 2022, the only practical option was to rerun last year's Nationals. First week of June. Now there is sufficient time to plan 2023. One of the new features for 2022 will be an on-track driving experience, similar to what was done at Bristol in 2016.
Isn't the dates July 6-9?
Old December 16th, 2021, 01:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Isn't the dates July 6-9?
Sorry, my mistake. Yes, It's July.
Old December 16th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Olds Fever

Good to see OCA made a commitment... Not really happy with the dates, since they follow the July 4th weekend... But it is better then not having the National Meet...
Old December 16th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Good to see OCA made a commitment... Not really happy with the dates, since they follow the July 4th weekend... But it is better then not having the National Meet...
There was definitely consideration about that, though some feel that the holiday could be a benefit for people to travel without having to take extra vacation. In any case, the available dates at the venue were limited.
Old December 16th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Olds Fever

There was definitely consideration about that, though some feel that the holiday could be a benefit for people to travel without having to take extra vacation. In any case, the available dates at the venue were limited.
I did figure the venue's event schedule was a big part of the decision... And as you said, it may help individuals with their travel plans...
Old December 16th, 2021, 02:40 PM

I am planning to go to Homecoming in 2022 if I can so don't think I can make it to the nationals also. I have a California trip coming sometime and may take all my 2022 travel money. If it does I am out of all Olds and car events.
Old December 16th, 2021, 02:51 PM

My Journey With Olds magazine just showed up today with the answer.

In regard to registration, "We will be opening registration for our 2022 National Meet along with hotel reservations in early 2022..."
Old December 16th, 2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Availability may have had a lot to do with the dates. One waitress told me that they have a lot of shows there. IMHO it's the best site ever for the OCA Nats.
Old December 16th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Gary

The host hotel is sold out.

As noted, OCA only claims "information coming," both on their website and in the magazine. Very poor communication on the club's part.

We miss Jerry Wilson.
Old December 16th, 2021, 09:08 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by VC455
We miss Jerry Wilson.
X2. One of the better OCA presidents in recent memory.

A lot of the Zone people are slack as hell too. I've given up trying to get mine to respond. Thought that would change after we got two from outside the Atlanta area but it ain't happened.

Gripes me that most of the Buick Club of America officers and board are all over Buick forums. Tom Aukzemas visits here once in a while, but no other OCA people that I know of.

Believe it or not some of us are still very Met-averse...
Old December 16th, 2021, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
X2. One of the better OCA presidents in recent memory.

A lot of the Zone people are slack as hell too. I've given up trying to get mine to respond. Thought that would change after we got two from outside the Atlanta area but it ain't happened.

Gripes me that most of the Buick Club of America officers and board are all over Buick forums. Tom Aukzemas visits here once in a while, but no other OCA people that I know of.

Believe it or not some of us are still very Met-averse...
I 100% agree!

What Jerry Wilson did was way above and beyond...

It's time for others to step up to help the current OCA President..

Too many non doers, everyone like to have fun and do nothing.

It takes a team.

I get why they had to redo at Murfressboro, but I can tell you that our chapter hosted two national meets(Nor Cal Olds Club) it is a ton of work to do it right!!! Especially at a new location year after year.

OCA has been paying for some National Meet help to "travel"? agencies to make it happen.

2017 National OCA meet in Alburquerque was done by 8 members!! It can be done and it was a great show!

Fred

Old December 17th, 2021, 03:00 AM

Alright, I thought that I would be soo fast and get reservations at the Host hotel before everyone else.... NOT!! Fair enough I guess, I tried to get reservations at the host hotel last year (2021) and couldn't and apparently I won't be able to this year (2022) either. But I think I remember someone posting that the host hotel and the swap meet, show field, etc. is right next to some other hotels and you can walk back and forth? I wouldn't mind that at all. Anyone who knows give me some advice, please. I think the Nashville area would be a great time! Thanks Greg.
Old December 17th, 2021, 05:13 AM
Gary

Greg,
The Hilton Garden Inn, 1335 Conference Center Blvd., is a block-and-a-half from the host hotel.
Currently, we have little to go on, but this will probably be one of the additional hotels where you can get an Olds group discount.
Gary
Old December 17th, 2021, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Alright, I thought that I would be soo fast and get reservations at the Host hotel before everyone else.... NOT!! Fair enough I guess, I tried to get reservations at the host hotel last year (2021) and couldn't and apparently I won't be able to this year (2022) either. But I think I remember someone posting that the host hotel and the swap meet, show field, etc. is right next to some other hotels and you can walk back and forth? I wouldn't mind that at all. Anyone who knows give me some advice, please. I think the Nashville area would be a great time! Thanks Greg.
A quick check of the Marriott, which is basically in the same parking lot, shows availability July 6-9 at $189/night
Old December 17th, 2021, 11:16 AM

The host hotel is sold out..
We were told by Zone rep at Christmas Party that reservations would not be taken until Feb....I am checking on this...........

Old December 17th, 2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
We were told by Zone rep at Christmas Party that reservations would not be taken until Feb....I am checking on this...........
It has been a practice for many years that the host hotel gets fully booked before the general membership is allowed to make reservations. Read into it what you will but that's a fact. I've been a member for 38 years and I can't tell you the times I've tried to make reservations on the day it's kosher but to be told it's booked solid. To those who want to go to the Nats this next year,don't worry there are many hotels in the area for less $$$$$$.
Old December 17th, 2021, 12:16 PM

The host hotel is sold out.

As noted, OCA only claims "information coming," both on their website and in the magazine. Very poor communication on the club's part.

We miss Jerry Wilson.
This was also a problem under Jerry Wilson. I like Jerry a lot but the host hotel is always booked solid before the general membership gets a chance,go figure.
Old December 17th, 2021, 12:52 PM

So maybe they claim to be fully booked, so the general public can't get in for a bit until OCA members get a chance first. My zone person confirms what I heard that no reservations until Feb. for OCA.
Still waiting to here from the events person at the hotel.
Old December 17th, 2021, 01:45 PM

you are correct- the hotel is blocked out now for that time. as Hammerdrop wrote, reservations will open in feb.
I believe the rate will be comparable to last year as well.
Old December 17th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Greg- the Nashville area was, and is, a great time.
There are several hotels nearby the host hotel, and I believe some of them will be overflow for the nats- commitments haven't been firmed up yet, but I'm sure everyone will be advised once the paperwork is done..
Old December 17th, 2021, 05:45 PM

Times two on that. We got a return call from the Hilton and no reservations til Feb. Final Answer I Hope.
Old December 18th, 2021, 04:47 AM

Thanks guys, I checked with Embassy Suites and no rooms available after July 3rd. I looked up Murfreesboro on Google maps and saw that Courtyard by Marriott Nashville SE is right across lot from Embassy suites, also Hilton Garden Inn is close. I looked up Courtyard and it seems they have rooms. So I am assuming Embassy Suites IS the host hotel as it was in 2021? Also July 6 is a Wednesday. I need to talk to wife to get permission (boss- ya know....) but I think maybe we will get a room for 6,7,8,9 -Wed, Thur Fri, Sat. Leave Sun AM.
Old December 18th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Thanks guys, I checked with Embassy Suites and no rooms available after July 3rd.
There appears to be confusion on the Embassy Suites room issue... It is my understanding Embassy Suites is saying there are no rooms available after July 3rd for the Nationals because the OCA has blocked x-number of rooms for the National meet which will not be released for reservations until the January/February time frame... Anyone hear anything different???
Old December 18th, 2021, 02:19 PM
Banned

I worked in the hotel world for years. It is not uncommon for hotels to "hold" blocks of rooms for certain events until a certain date.
Old December 18th, 2021, 02:23 PM

Enlighten me: what's the big deal with getting into the host, when it sounds like a bunch are close?
Old December 18th, 2021, 03:47 PM

Fleming, it's probably not a big deal if there are other hotels within walking distance as there is in Murfreesboro. In a place where there are no other hotels within walking distance you have to drive your Olds (if it is what you have driven from home) back and forth from your hotel to the host hotel- just kind of a PIA. Back at the Nationals that were in Springfield and later the one in Gettysburg we stayed in host hotels and really loved it- though pricey it was worth it.
Old December 20th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Looking forward to the 2022 Nationals back in Tennessee. Not sure I understand the desire for the host hotel--especially when there are half a dozen hotels walking distance from the lot. Truthfully, I prefer the adjacent Marriott property as it's a bit quieter.
Old December 20th, 2021, 04:11 PM

Ok, I just reserved a room at the Courtyard Marriott. No risk really as I can cancel as late as July 4th and get $ back. So we are planning to be there! WOOHoo!!
Old December 20th, 2021, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Enlighten me: what's the big deal with getting into the host, when it sounds like a bunch are close?
Are you an old person that has a hard time walking??? Then you'll get it..
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:34 AM

Just got my JWO yesterday. I hope the plan to get us on the Nashville track is successful. This alone is worth the price of admission. A can't miss. I had my black/silver 79 Cutlass on the Bristol track in 2016 and it was a total blast. I told my wife if they ever have something like this again we'll be bringing either the 1994 or 1996 Cutlass Supreme as I think that (despite front wheel drive) either of these 2 cars would do really well on a racetrack. I've improved the handling on both these cars by installing a factory front strut tower brace (found only on the convertibles), and an aftermarket rear shock tower brace. The white 1996 with its variable effort steering seems to handle better than the 3.4 package in the Aqua 1994, but the latter has an extra 50 horses. That's the tradeoff.

IMHO, I think the 1992 to 1997 Cutlass Supreme most closely resembles a NASCAR race car of that time. Really too bad Olds was done with racing by then
Old December 21st, 2021, 07:34 AM

🤯 "track day" is on a roundy round? If that ain't a disaster waiting to happen, unless it's parade laps at 45mph behind a pace car. Otherwise, there's going to be a bunch of right side bodywork induced!
Old December 21st, 2021, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
🤯 "track day" is on a roundy round? If that ain't a disaster waiting to happen, unless it's parade laps at 45mph behind a pace car. Otherwise, there's going to be a bunch of right side bodywork induced!
Obviously it's parade laps. The terms "insurance" and "liability" come to mind.
Old December 21st, 2021, 09:22 AM

Obviously it's parade laps. The terms "insurance" and "liability" come to mind.
I have a completely different definition of the term "Track day", obviously.

Quick Reply: 2022 oca nationals