General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2022 oca nationals

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2021, 09:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
I have a completely different definition of the term "Track day", obviously.
Yeah, which is why I specifically said this in Post #7:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
One of the new features for 2022 will be an on-track driving experience, similar to what was done at Bristol in 2016.
Old December 21st, 2021, 11:44 AM

They let us have at it in Bristol in 2016, fast as you want BUT the one rule was NO passing. We got to do 10 laps or so. In my 105 hp smog wheezer i did 61 mph on the straights and the only way I was going have any attempt to pass anyone was on the curves. Eventually I figured it out where I was able to keep it floored in the curves. I guess when you have such a low horsepower car you can get away with that. I had a 67 442 and a 72 Vista Cruiser in front of me and all I saw on every curve were brake lights. I get our cars are straight line dry road cars, my 79 included. This is why I want another shot using the more modern Cutlass.

Also, after that gig I noticed my 79 developed a penchant for pulling to the left, so it was off to the alignment shop for it.
Old December 21st, 2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
They let us have at it in Bristol in 2016, fast as you want BUT the one rule was NO passing.
I've been on the track at Watkins Glen twice. The first was at the NAOC meet, the second was with a bunch of random sports cars on a weekday afternoon. The NAOC was boring. Everyone kept an even pace and no one dropped off the pace car. If you get stuck behind one slow car you can't even hang back and punch it. The second time everyone hung back and then hammered it around the curves. It was a blast. I don't think the pace car ever got over 60 either time.

FWIW if you happen to get in a hot group at WG the pace car will go quote a bit faster. I know someone that hit over 130 mph on the straight and he was right behind the pace car.

I think no matter what you are doing on a track, most insurance carriers have a track exclusion, even for an event like this.

And yes, those are my kids in the car and my younger daughter is in a car seat....lol

Last edited by allyolds68; December 21st, 2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 05:01 PM

Track time

Lapping at Bristol in 2016 was the most fun I ever had at Nationals.
We had ten laps. The pace car said he would go faster every lap as long as we kept up. If the pace car caught up to the last car, he would have to slow down.
I happened to be in a group of mostly Hurst/Olds' that had done track laps before and knew what to do. Everyone kept up and we kept going faster. I don't know that anyone kept track of lap times, but most agreed that our group was definitely among the fastest. There were a few that worked it to get spaced out and got some faster blasts down the straightaway, but about 80 was the fastest I got. My wife and kids were in the car, too.

Old December 22nd, 2021, 02:38 AM

I've driven my Silverado on the backstretch of Daytona. Woohoo. The "on track experience" doesn't do anything for me, but I haven't watched nascrap since Dale died. RIP #3
Old December 22nd, 2021, 04:46 AM

Great photo of your Cutlass S on the track!

Bristol is known for its rather steep upgrade on the turns and I was initially afraid to go up top as my 79 is so slow I was sure it would fall off. Shows how much I knew, which was nothing. But by the 6th lap I was going all the way up around the turn looking down to and staying even with those 2 cars mentioned earlier. I would then eventually floor it back down to the bottom and get right behind them until they pulled away as they were faster cars. Repeated that several times. They said no passing, but nothing was mentioned about keeping even..........

I honestly think I had the slowest car there with my 260, M200, 2:29 set up.

Best time at a Nationals? Yup.
Old December 22nd, 2021, 01:01 PM

I wanted to provide a quick update regarding the upcoming 2022 OCA National Meet. Further details and updates will be published in the upcoming editions of JWO (Journey with Olds). I will try and cover as much as I can in a small amount of space. Dates are July 6th- July 9th 2022 and will be held in Murfreesboro, TN. The Embassy Suites will be the host hotel and the backup hotels are all within walking distance. They are: Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard, and Residence Inn. We will have blocks of discounted rooms for our OCA group and registration for both the hotels and our event will open up on February 14, 2022. (Rooms will not be available until February 14th). We will have someone maintaining a "wait" list so don't panic if rooms get booked early, hotels sell out, or you are having issues securing rooms. We will help you get you in one of "our" hotels. I can provide you with some highlights of the planned events. Wednesday afternoon, July 6th we plan to go to a Shorts Mountain distillary and moonshine tour. We will sample some shine, have dinner and entertainment at their restaurant. Thursday, July 6th we have an action packed day planned at the Nashville Superspeedway. They have a 1.33 mile oval racetrack along with a road race course. We are planning to take our Oldsmobiles on both tracks for a few laps, along with a tour of the track's tower. This should be a fun filled, memory making day. I believe this will be one of those "don't miss" events. Thursday evening, we are planning an informal "meet and greet" back at the Embassy Suites which will include a couple of "slider" stations, salads, chips, dessert, coffee, tea, etc. Great event to socialize with other club members. Friday, July 7th will be our show day complete with OCA Judging. We have a day planned for our ladies or anyone not attending the show at Oakland's Mansion which includes a self guided tour, a terrific luncheon at one of the beautiful mansion rooms, and shopping afterwards in downtown Murfreesboro. Friday night, we have a night at the Grand Ole Opry which we also did at the 2021 OCA Nationals. There was such a popular demand for this event, we thought best to offer it again. Saturday, July 8th we start out with our General Membership Meeting and encourage everyone to attend. Great way to communicate with us regarding "your" club. Saturday evening is our OCA Banquet Dinner and Awards Ceremony which is our mostly highly attended event and wraps up the OCA Meet. Hopefully this answers many of your questions. Wishing all of you and your families a very joyous holiday season and a Happy, Healthy New Year!
Old December 22nd, 2021, 01:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Sal, thanks for the update. Can we assume that Joe D is working on a race night also?
Old December 22nd, 2021, 02:17 PM

Sal, thanks for the update. Can we assume that Joe D is working on a race night also?
Not Sal but I talked to Joe and said they were planning to have a day @ the dragstrip.
Old December 22nd, 2021, 02:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Not Sal but I talked to Joe and said they were planning to have a day @ the dragstrip.
I'm guessing it's Sat night, so Grand Ole Opry or drags... I know which one I'd pick.
Old December 22nd, 2021, 02:20 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

The Grand Ole Opry was a great time at the 2021 show. Thanks for the update on the 2022 event.
Old December 22nd, 2021, 02:33 PM

I'm guessing it's Sat night, so Grand Ole Opry or drags... I know which one I'd pick.
They normally have it on Friday night because some leave on Saturday.
Old December 22nd, 2021, 02:54 PM

Joe,
I don't know but I will find out
Old December 23rd, 2021, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the update, sounds great!
Old December 24th, 2021, 12:05 PM

I asked about a day pass at the 2021 Nationals but not sure if the discussion went further. It had been an "all or nothing" registration. Anything on a one day pass to park one's Olds at a shown & shine corner, etc?
Old December 24th, 2021, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 65Delta
I asked about a day pass at the 2021 Nationals but not sure if the discussion went further. It had been an "all or nothing" registration. Anything on a one day pass to park one's Olds at a shown & shine corner, etc?
Not sure what you mean by a "day pass". Spectators are free, including access to the swap meet. If you want your car judged, you need to be on site all day Friday. The cost of the venue, awards, and conduct of the show are what the registration fee pays for. The other days are typically for side trips (which are extra) or socializing. The latter doesn't cost anything either.
Old December 24th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Oldsdruid

95 we had a designated guest parking area in Four Seasons mall parking lot, which was adjacent to the host hotel. That area became a car show in its own right when other car groups found out about the big Oldsmobile show in town.

I realize not every host site has the luxury of a big shopping center parking lot next door.
Old December 24th, 2021, 12:20 PM

I'm not worried about getting mine judged, more of a guaranteed parking spot among the other Olds cars than anything else. The full registration fee is a lot for one day and that seems to be the only to get the car in. I guess the question would be summed up as a pro-rated registration fee for one day vs. the whole event (non-judged). I'd like to spend the week but don't have enough vacation days to do so.

I've been to the show twice ('16 and '21) and drove the "regular" car both times so as to not worry about parking.

Old December 24th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 65Delta
I'm not worried about getting mine judged, more of a guaranteed parking spot among the other Olds cars than anything else. The full registration fee is a lot for one day and that seems to be the only to get the car in. I guess the question would be summed up as a pro-rated registration fee for one day vs. the whole event (non-judged). I'd like to spend the week but don't have enough vacation days to do so.

I've been to the show twice ('16 and '21) and drove the "regular" car both times so as to not worry about parking.
If you want to part on the showfield, that space gets blocked out for your car for the entire show, so you pay for the whole show. There is no "daily show parking", but that might be something to consider for future Nationals as a way to entice more people into OCA. Frankly, most of the cars are not on the showfield until Friday anyway, and most people are off doing other activities.
Old December 26th, 2021, 05:26 AM

I found M'boro's show last year easy for parking in and out. I was in the Hurst area with my 79 H/O and I left the show field several times with the car, no hassles in or out, and Joe's right, you get that parking spot for the show car for the whole show. I guess you could place in an orange cone or something while you are gone but I didn't see any need for it. Besides, someone in your assigned class is bound not to show up, at all. That serves to open things up if it does happen.