General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2020 Goodguys Salt Lake Nationals

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2020, 12:58 PM

2020 Goodguys Salt Lake Nationals

As I mentioned in the thread on the cancellation of the NAOC meet, Goodguys put on an actual, in-person car show in Salt Lake City this past weekend (July 17 through 19). My wife and I made a last-minute decision to hop a plane, spend two nights in SLC, and attend on Saturday. I was so tired of reading about the cancellation of car event after car event that I couldn't wait to go to a real car show again. From what I heard, Goodguys worked with the Utah and Salt Lade City health departments to set up guidelines, and they were pretty much what you would expect. The primary ones were the usuals, wear a mask and try to maintain six feet of space. This was primarily an outdoor show, which I'm sure helped and also made it easier to maintain the social distancing. Most people were wearing masks.

If it weren't for the masks, you could stroll the show field and not have any idea that there was a pandemic going on. It was great. I would guess that there was something like 250 to 300 cars, but that's just a guess. There were plenty for a car-show-starved audience. The weather was a little warm but otherwise perfect. I saw exactly ONE Oldsmobile.

Here's some of the more than 200 photos I took. All I kept thinking as we walked around was, if Goodguys can pull this off, why couldn't the OCA put on its show in Nashville? Utah was one of the least shut down states, and Tennessee wasn't far behind. About the only reason I can think of that would prevent the OCA from hosting the show is that, while the car show part itself might have been able to go off without a problem, some of the peripheral activities (tours, etc.) might not have been able to go forward. There was also the issue of the closing banquet. But, heck, it's summer. Set up some big tents and hold the dinner outdoors!

Anyway, this was wonderful. Congrats to Goodguys for making it happen.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 20th, 2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old July 20th, 2020, 12:59 PM

Here's that lone Oldsmobile. A 1972 H/O Pace Car.

Old July 20th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Olds Fever

Thanks for sharing... Great pics... It shows things can be accomplished with some effort and working together... Congrats to the Goodguys and all those who ventured out for the event...
Old July 20th, 2020, 05:03 PM

If I could pick one car from the entire show to go home with, it would be this one. A 1959 Pontiac Bonneville two-door hardtop. The car was simply gorgeous.

According to the Goodguys registration sticker on the window, the interior is original.

Old July 21st, 2020, 07:34 AM

I agree with you, if only the powers to be would utilize actual factual scientific data and not their opinions about covid19, we would have our freedoms back along with all our car shows and car events!
Old July 21st, 2020, 08:04 AM

99.9999% of car shows of any type, from the cruise-in at the local McDonald's to the 1000-car Goodguys show in Phoenix every year, are OUTDOOR shows. It is EASY to maintain social distancing when you're outdoors at an event like this. Cars are spaced apart. People can easily space themselves as they're sitting in their lawn chairs under their tents. Spectators like me can easily maintain distance from others as we walk around. Etc. There is no reason I can think of not to hold an outdoor event like this. Goodguys just proved that it can be done.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 21st, 2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old July 21st, 2020, 08:30 AM

And this girl is For Sale in the Dallas Area. I remember when I was about 10 years old my step-mother's sister's boyfriend had one of these . I thought it was one of the coolest cars ever. How can you not admire these cars..

Old July 21st, 2020, 08:42 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures, I was trying to make it to this show but wasn't able to. Looks like a great turn out. The other 2 big car shows got canceled.
Old July 21st, 2020, 09:24 AM

We went on Sunday but it looks like there were quite a few more cars on Saturday.
Old July 21st, 2020, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1of1442
We went on Sunday but it looks like there were quite a few more cars on Saturday.
I thought this might be the case. I think, for a three-day show like this, Saturday is the best day. People want to start heading home on Sunday if they've come any distance.
Old July 21st, 2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
There is no reason I can think of not to hold an outdoor event like this. Goodguys just proved that it can be done.
Hate to break it to you, but they’ve proven nothing. You won’t have a clue whether it was safe for at least two weeks. Plenty of people in plenty of states are doing really stupid stuff...holding an event doesn’t mean it is safe to do so. This event may not have been one of those stupid things, and might have had excellent risk mitigations in place, but the time delayed response of the disease means the results of your actions aren’t realized for 2-6 weeks (~2 weeks to symptoms, ~4 weeks after that to deaths, and longer periods to determine the permanent damage to survivors). So as of right now, nothing has been proven one way or the other.

Hopefully it was successful and can be implemented elsewhere. But it is far too soon to declare victory.

Old July 21st, 2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba68CS
Hate to break it to you, but they’ve proven nothing. You won’t have a clue whether it was safe for at least two weeks. Plenty of people in plenty of states are doing really stupid stuff...holding an event doesn’t mean it is safe to do so. This event may not have been one of those stupid things, and might have had excellent risk mitigations in place, but the time delayed response of the disease means the results of your actions aren’t realized for 2-6 weeks (~2 weeks to symptoms, ~4 weeks after that to deaths, and longer periods to determine the permanent damage to survivors). So as of right now, nothing has been proven one way or the other.

Hopefully it was successful and can be implemented elsewhere. But it is far too soon to declare victory.
I'll wholeheartedly disagree with this. The ENTIRE STATE OF UTAH is wide open. This event had nothing on the everyday life in the state. Restaurants are open. Malls are open. Everything is open. People are doing 24/7 far more gathering and so forth than ever took place at this event. To say that somehow there will be an outbreak of the disease from this event and not from the other 99.99% of things the citizens of Utah are doing every day is a stretch to say the least.
Old July 21st, 2020, 11:31 AM

Totally agree with you. Bubba, you might want to stop watching the mainstream media like CNN, MSNBC, etc. as they continue to NOT report the scientific facts, just their opinions. They are destroying our economy with all their opinions!
Old July 21st, 2020, 12:09 PM

I'll wholeheartedly disagree with this. The ENTIRE STATE OF UTAH is wide open. This event had nothing on the everyday life in the state. Restaurants are open. Malls are open. Everything is open. People are doing 24/7 far more gathering and so forth than ever took place at this event. To say that somehow there will be an outbreak of the disease from this event and not from the other 99.99% of things the citizens of Utah are doing every day is a stretch to say the least.
Id suggest reading what I actually wrote, as your response doesn’t address anything I said, nor offer up anything that actually disagrees with me. I never said it would cause an outbreak. I never said that event would be more to blame than anything else if people start getting sick.

It is a fact that the disease doesn’t start showing symptoms for about two weeks. So until at least two weeks has passed, you have no evidence to support your claim they’ve proven it to be safe. That’s it. That’s all I wrote. It may be safe, but you don’t have the data to prove it yet.

This is how science works, and which news (or in many people’s cases, propaganda) you watch, it doesn’t change the basics of scientific analysis.
Old July 21st, 2020, 12:14 PM

I never said that event would be more to blame than anything else if people start getting sick.
You certainly implied this. If this is the case, then how can you say that, if people DO start getting sick, their illness came from this event? You just undercut your entire argument. This comment says that people can get sick from anywhere. Which is true. Welcome to the real world.
Old July 21st, 2020, 12:24 PM

You certainly implied this. If this is the case, then how can you say that, if people DO start getting sick, their illness came from this event? You just undercut your entire argument. This comment says that people can get sick from anywhere. Which is true. Welcome to the real world.
No, I didn’t undercut anything. This is a failure on your end to understand contact tracing. Might want to look into it, as it is one of the most important tools we have to fight this thing.
Old July 21st, 2020, 12:47 PM

This is a failure on your end to understand contact tracing. Might want to look into it, as it is one of the most important tools we have to fight this thing.
I understand contact tracing just fine. In the case of COVID-19, it's pointless. It's a CONTAGIOUS disease. It spreads easily among people. We don't contact trace with the common cold. We don't contact trace with the seasonal flu. They're too contagious. They spread too easily.

Contact tracing works for something like a sexually-transmitted disease, where you usually have a pretty good idea who you had sex with over the last week or two and the number of potential contacts is small. But to recall every single person you might have come into "contact" with over the last few weeks? Anyone you might have passed in the aisle at the grocery store or the drug store? Anyone you might have walked past on the street? The wait staff who served you at the restaurants you visited? Are you going to know the names and phone numbers of all of these people? Are they all going to know YOUR name and phone number? Forget it. There is no way to prove beyond a doubt that anyone caught or will catch a disease from any particular person or any particular location. There is no way I'm going to isolate myself because some stranger tells me that someone in a store I visited last week tested positive for the disease. We have never successfully fought a contagious disease by locking up all the healthy people. We quarantine the SICK people.

In the case of this car show, even if some of the attendees later contract the virus, there is no way it could be shown to any reasonable level of certainty that their attendance at the show was the cause. People were there from all over the western U.S. In addition to Utah, I saw license plates from California, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona. At least some of these people likely stayed in hotels both on the way to and from the show as well as the few days they were in town attending the show with their car. They ate meals in restaurants. They stopped at gas stations. They might have done some shopping, or certainly their wives might have. In short, they were out interacting with the world. Any disease they might catch could have come from any of these sources.

The way to fight the disease is the way we try to avoid catching a cold or the flu. We practice good hygiene. We avoid people who are sick. People who have these illnesses stay at home until they recover. The same is true for COVID-19. It's a little more potent, but it's otherwise no different from the other viruses that are around us all the time in terms of how we respond to it.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 21st, 2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old July 21st, 2020, 01:29 PM

In keeping with the original intent of this thread, here's a couple dozen more photos from the very enjoyable car show this past weekend.

In no particular order.

Old July 21st, 2020, 01:30 PM

Old July 21st, 2020, 01:39 PM

Old July 21st, 2020, 04:19 PM

One of the biggest issues I see with this car show is...my cars ain't in it.
Old July 21st, 2020, 04:35 PM

We have 3 grandkids this weekend, ranging in age between 3 & 15 years old. Maybe I will pretend there is a car show and run off a few hours.
Old July 21st, 2020, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the awesome car pics, what a cool show and swap! Just for the record Jaunty75, you are 100% spot on in your discussion, brilliantly put!
Old July 22nd, 2020, 08:16 AM

I understand contact tracing just fine. In the case of COVID-19, it's pointless. It's a CONTAGIOUS disease. It spreads easily among people. We don't contact trace with the common cold. We don't contact trace with the seasonal flu. They're too contagious. They spread too easily.

Contact tracing works for something like a sexually-transmitted disease, where you usually have a pretty good idea who you had sex with over the last week or two and the number of potential contacts is small. But to recall every single person you might have come into "contact" with over the last few weeks? Anyone you might have passed in the aisle at the grocery store or the drug store? Anyone you might have walked past on the street? The wait staff who served you at the restaurants you visited? Are you going to know the names and phone numbers of all of these people? Are they all going to know YOUR name and phone number? Forget it. There is no way to prove beyond a doubt that anyone caught or will catch a disease from any particular person or any particular location. There is no way I'm going to isolate myself because some stranger tells me that someone in a store I visited last week tested positive for the disease. We have never successfully fought a contagious disease by locking up all the healthy people. We quarantine the SICK people.

In the case of this car show, even if some of the attendees later contract the virus, there is no way it could be shown to any reasonable level of certainty that their attendance at the show was the cause. People were there from all over the western U.S. In addition to Utah, I saw license plates from California, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona. At least some of these people likely stayed in hotels both on the way to and from the show as well as the few days they were in town attending the show with their car. They ate meals in restaurants. They stopped at gas stations. They might have done some shopping, or certainly their wives might have. In short, they were out interacting with the world. Any disease they might catch could have come from any of these sources.

The way to fight the disease is the way we try to avoid catching a cold or the flu. We practice good hygiene. We avoid people who are sick. People who have these illnesses stay at home until they recover. The same is true for COVID-19. It's a little more potent, but it's otherwise no different from the other viruses that are around us all the time in terms of how we respond to it.
You are not an infectious disease expert. Period. ALL, (literally all of them), point to contact tracing as crucial for controlling the spread of this disease. So again, you fail to understand even the basics of what you’re talking about. You literally have no experience in the field, but think you know more than they do? This right here is Dunning-Kruger in action.

Im out. Enjoy your thread. I sincerely hope they did it right. Time will tell.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 08:37 AM

You are not an infectious disease expert.
And neither are you. The moment someone says "all the experts say" is the moment to run screaming from the room. The "experts" have been wrong as often as they have been right.

Im out.
Do hurry back. It's been so much fun having you here.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 22nd, 2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 08:52 AM

Advice from the experts.

Old July 22nd, 2020, 01:31 PM

Old July 22nd, 2020, 03:23 PM

Damn, as quick as they close threads around here I surprised you guys are still pissing in each other's campfire.