General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2010 Canadian Oldsmobile Nationals

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
Hi Ken,You have had a few OCC members make it to OLDS for your meet as well.
Yellowstatue and his daughter have done the drive,and a friend of mine used to be the head honcho Jamie ***.
The buick club moves their meet to a new location every year just like the OCA does and the NOCA spread it around now the OCC want to try this and we are getting slack from some members.This is a club for everyone who chooses to join and open to other to enjoy,it's about the people and the cars.
When we first joined the OCA the meet was in Grand island NY,close by and alot of fun.In the last quarter century it has gone all over the united states and came to Canada for the nationals in 1994,"come next door in 94" cool slogan and we had a great time.
So lets try Bracebridge and give the new management a try and we should all get behind him because if we don't alot of the membership will quit myself included as London has been dune to death,We have been there so many times that we have seen trees planted grow to maturity and die.
I have talked to alot of members over the years and they all feel the same way,it's time for a new venue.
Steve
Steve, I know there were a few kids that helped around the show in 2008 who were from the OCC. Don't know if they were visiting or had just moved here.

Jamie is in a lot of clubs. He now lives on the island (Vancouver Island) and is a member of a club there, the Olds club in Seattle, ours and I'll bet yours. He say he'll be at show this year. It'll be good to see him and Sherrill again.

I remember the '94 show. I wrote an article in JWO explaning to Americans what to expect when the come to Canada (bacially when you see the speed limit 100, don't yell "Yeeeehaaaaa" and put your foot into it). It got good reviews, hope it helped with attendance.
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Land Yacht Captain

So now that we have beat a dead horse to death about whether this thing should move around or not. How about getting back to the original question.
__________________________________________________ _______________

For everybody within driving distance of this event. I am hoping we can arrange a meet (possibly at a coffee shop or speed shop close to HWY400) and then all cruise up to the nationals together.

What could be a better site than a long line of Oldsmobiles cruising up the 400.
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
olds..older..oldest

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
So now that we have beat a dead horse to death about whether this thing should move around or not. How about getting back to the original question.
__________________________________________________ _______________

For everybody within driving distance of this event. I am hoping we can arrange a meet (possibly at a coffee shop or speed shop close to HWY400) and then all cruise up to the nationals together.

What could be a better site than a long line of Oldsmobiles cruising up the 400.
Please see my Feb. 08/10 post ref. meeting up en route to the OCC event in Aug. All Ontario[and US] members can PM me or call 1-705-739-7287....Derek
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM

Nothing like a rolling Oldsmobile show on the way to a stationary Oldsmobile show. Caravans are cool (and I don't mean the mini-vans).
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Great idea Derek. Why not create a separate post in the event section with all the details so it doesn't get lost in this confusion.

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Please see my Feb. 08/10 post ref. meeting up en route to the OCC event in Aug. All Ontario[and US] members can PM me or call 1-705-739-7287....Derek
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
wait.... what....

I hope there is a big turnout to this event like the ones back in the 80's and early 90's... ahhh those were the days! I unfortunately don't think i will be attending it this year.
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up "where are you going to be?"

Originally Posted by oldzzy
I hope there is a big turnout to this event like the ones back in the 80's and early 90's... ahhh those were the days! I unfortunately don't think i will be attending it this year.

You hope there will be a good turn out and in your next breath you say "YOU" won't be there? What's that statement all about, if we can't count on you to be there then that doesn't seem to be very supportive for the "cause" c'mon guys & gals now let's all make this a success!!
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM
wait.... what....

Originally Posted by chequenman
What's that statement all about
Well since you asked. It's a little to far away for me to make the haul at a little over 4hrs, and i wasn't sure if i was going to make it or not.
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Question Too Far!!

Well since you asked. It's a little to far away for me to make the haul at a little over 4hrs, and i wasn't sure if i was going to make it or not.
Well if it's too far what would you consider closer so we can count on you in future Events, looking at the fact we might not consider London for quite some time? You must realize you'll be missed at each event and the Club will be looking for you, to socialize, and Stare at your Wheels at all these Meets.
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
wait.... what....

It's not about me, it's what's best for the club. What didn't you like about London last year? I don't care if it's moved around, i went every year when it was in ***** Falls.
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Question London???

It's not about me, it's what's best for the club. What didn't you like about London last year? I don't care if it's moved around, i went every year when it was in ***** Falls.

If all there is, is ***** Falls, & London (Fanshaw) there's got to be some change and possible excitement by having new venues, like Bracebridge, maybe Bowmanville and Places of such. Let's go with some change and offer something different, and maybe increase the Membership by not being sooo stale in our thinking of Places to explore..... eh Toronto looks like a Place that might have something to offer .....
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Land Yacht Captain

What is the club looking for in a location?? I know London had camping on site. Is that one of the requirements???
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
wait.... what....

I didn't say that it could only be in London or ***** Falls only, and i was just curious as to what you don't like about Fanshawe? Are you one of the Club execs?
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Honestly I can't believe the club hasn't done one in the GTA area yet!! You really need to think about the fact that Toronto has many more sights and activities to offer potential participants. London is a nice city but once the show winds down at the end of the day there is F all to do or see in that place.

Originally Posted by chequenman
eh Toronto looks like a Place that might have something to offer .....
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Arrow It's been said before

I didn't say that it could only be in London or ***** Falls only, and i was just curious as to what you don't like about Fanshawe? Are you one of the Club execs?

What I, and others, and they have posted the same thing is it's the same old same old, and it's not fresh anymore. Many of us have watched Seedling Trees grow to their maturity and die at the same place it's that we've seen Fanshaw too many times and we need to move things around for possibly new membership throughout Ontario not just South Western Ontario. If we don't have a chance to have you participate in Bracebridge it's like going to the OCA Nationals and staying for the weekend and making a short holiday out of it. and now you know the rest of the Story....
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Honestly I can't believe the club hasn't done one in the GTA area yet!! You really need to think about the fact that Toronto has many more sights and activities to offer potential participants. London is a nice city but once the show winds down at the end of the day there is F all to do or see in that place.

You know Craig you're right about Toronto, but I think ONE or TWO years at other Venues and it'll really look good in THE BIG SMOKE !!! T O....
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
wait.... what....

The Canadian shows are nothing like the American shows. 50 cars at the Canadian Nat's compared to something like 500 at Homecoming in Lansing. I could be wrong but you didn't make the trip to London this year, did you? I would go to one in TO.
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Our economy

The Canadian shows are nothing like the American shows. 50 cars at the Canadian Nat's compared to something like 500 at Homecoming in Lansing. I could be wrong but you didn't make the trip to London this year, did you? I would go to one in TO.

I'm not comparing OCC to OCA in size I'm remarking about making a bit of a long Weekend out of Bracebridge or where ever the OCC Nationals are taking place, and not complaining that it takes 4 Hrs. for you to travel to your destination so you can relax with people that share your same interests and enjoy the Weekend for what it is !!..... And now you know the rest of the Story
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
wait.... what....

lol i give up
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Hands UP!!!

lol i give up

Don't give up, just say you're goin' ta try and make it to Bracebridge... and have a GREAT time meeting some new Friends.
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM

The Canadian shows are nothing like the American shows. 50 cars at the Canadian Nat's compared to something like 500 at Homecoming in Lansing.
Are you sure 500 is accurate? The OCA nats is hard pressed to make the 500 car mark. So a local show of 500 is impressive. Besides the OCC is not a national club like the OCA. Yes it has the name that sounds national, but its strength is SW Ontario. Really, there is not a national Oldsmobile club in Canada in the sense of what a national club is supposed to be.

The OCA is a national club with a news magazine that holds shows all over the USA. Clubs in Canada hold local shows. However, without its chapters, the OCA will have no nationals or anything other than scattered membership and a magazine. Canadian clubs don't have chapters.

So comparing the OCA to the OCC or NLC is comparing apples to oranges. At our car show, it's open to members as well as non-members. Non-members just pay more to get in. Besides, 50 - 75 cars at a Canadian show, based on our population, is about equal to better and makes for a nice friendly show as you meet almost everyone participating. With that said, an OCA nats experience is still amazing, but then again, so is ours (Canadian clubs).
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Man I love this guy. Always so positive.

Originally Posted by 442much
With that said, an OCA nats experience is still amazing, but then again, so is ours (Canadian clubs).
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Trying to remember member

Are you sure 500 is accurate? The OCA nats is hard pressed to make the 500 car mark. So a local show of 500 is impressive.
Yes, that is pretty close, and yes that is impressive especially for a one day meet. The show is very well hosted, but I think it is good example of what simple geographic location can do.

Besides the OCC is not a national club like the OCA. Yes it has the name that sounds national, but its strength is SW Ontario. Really, there is not a national Oldsmobile club in Canada in the sense of what a national club is supposed to be. So comparing the OCA to the OCC or NLC is comparing apples to oranges.
Exactly. Note that the OCA is the Oldsmobile Club of America, not the Olds Club of the US. The OCA Nationals *have* been held in Canada.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:12 AM

Are you sure 500 is accurate? The OCA nats is hard pressed to make the 500 car mark.
Go back and read his post again. He's not talking about the OCA nationals. He's talking about the annual "Olds Homecoming" show hosted in Lansing each year by the R.E. Olds Chapter.

But the OCA nationals do routinely get, I believe, 300 to 400 cars depending on the location.

What's interesting in this is that a show hosted by a chapter draws as many cars on a yearly basis as the R.E. Olds chapter does. It just shows how many OCA members and Olds enthusiasts are concentrated in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area, and I bet they get a few cars from Canada, too.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:28 AM

I have driven from Miami to Bowling Green for 07 Nats, from Miami to Dearborn for 08 and from Miami to Pittsburgh for 09

I was not planning on going to MA this year just because of the distance.

I will go to AACA Nat's in Miami early next month & Olds Club of Florida Oldsmar Days (near Tampa) later next month.

I have been trying to get a local group going and then maybe eventually become an OCA chapter, but it's slow going (website, logo, business cards to hand out at shows exist but that's about it)

After the last 3 long trips to Nationals, I am going to pass, this year anyway.

The trips themselves are great, any excuse for driving an Oldsmobile is a good excuse, but really, every day is a car show for me, and it's hard to get time off of work.

Last edited by jeffreyalman; February 15th, 2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Considering this will be my First OCC Nationals with my own Oldsmobile I really hope there is a decent turnout.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Come on Jeff. Canadians drive down to FL every year!!! Its worth the drive to Canada. See you at the OCC Nationals

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
I have driven from Miami to Bowling Green for 07 Nats, from Miami to Dearborn for 08 and from Miami to Pittsburgh for 09

I was not planning on going to MA this year just because of the distance.

I will go to Olds Club of Florida Oldsmar Days (near Tampa) in March, and AACA Nat's in Miami next month

I have been trying to get a local group going and then maybe eventually become an OCA chapter, but it's slow going (website, logo, cards to hand out at shows exist but that's about it)

After the last 3 long trips to Nationals, I am going to pass, this year anyway.

The trips themselves are great, any excuse for driving an Oldsmobile is a good excuse, but really, every day is a car show for me.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM

actually just looking at the map it's not that much farther than Dearborn was, looks like about 6 hours farther. too far for me this year.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Come on Jeff. Canadians drive down to FL every year!!!
Yes, but when they do it, they stay for six months, not three days, and they're not driving a 40-year-old car!
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Nobodys putting a time limit on how long you can stay.
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM

The OCC peaked in 1994 when they held the national meet for OCA.Membership has dropped off and I feel that the club (OCC) has grown stale and content with this location,if the OCC only wants to meet in London then change the name to Oldsmobile club of London.However if the intention of the club is to allow other venues then moving it around is required.
Personally I am done with London and Fanshaw park,in the past I have taken both cars,stayed at the host hotel (hoilday inn express) and spent friday as a travel day and checked out on sunday.Now this is a time for change and growth.When I joined OCC we lived in Richmond Hill and enjoyed the drive,now we live just south of Barrie(Bond Head) and have three kids,do I need to go to London every year,Christmas comes once a year and is a tradition,OCC is not.OK the club fell on hard times and going to ***** falls as well as Plunkert's (?) farm helped out.
What I'm saying is what about the other membership that year after year has driven from all points of the province and beyond for years and years to London now have a chance to go to a different locale.Whats the harm in this,so the members from the London area have to drive further,with this attitude we should have said good bye to London years ago and your meet would be in the TSC parking lot.I pay a membership fee and park entrance fee and food fee for two cars for what to look at the same trees or go into London for dinner.
My idea of roughing it is no room service and a small TV don't care about camping or cooking on a campfire.
The people who we meet and whos company we keep are the reason we go to these meets,the cars are all awesome to see and enjoy,I'll drive to London to visit friends that we have met over the years and for the past several years have driven to Lansing for the homecoming.Two years ago we drove to Lansing for the day,turned around and drove all the way back just to go to a friends 50th birthday party.

Bottom line is help support the club by showing up or you can wonder why their isn't one in a few years.
Steve
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Nobodys putting a time limit on how long you can stay.
Good point! I hadn't thought of it this way. Come for a car show, stay for a lifetime!
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
When we first joined the OCA the meet was in Grand island NY, close by and alot of fun.
Nice to hear that Steve. I was on the committee that ran the Grand Island show and I know we worked our tails off to put it on. Glad to know it got you involved. I don't recall what the exact car count was at that show, something like 480 I think. I know we prepared for up to 600.

Also, in those days the Western NY Chapter would caravan to London for the OCC event annually. It was always a scheduled activity which we looked forward to. The 3 hr. drive was part of the fun, not to mention the weekend of partying once we arrived

Good luck in your new leadership and location. I hope all your members appreciate the hard work which goes into putting on an event like this - wherever it may be held.

Glenn

PS: I've personally gotten away from the car show scene for a lot of reasons, but stay in touch with the hobby mainly through online forums. I participate primarily in Olds-specific racing events now.
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Hi Glenn,
That was a great show and I found lots of neat NOS parts for my car.
Is the guy with the black 61 Starfire still around? That is a great car that he has black with a dark red interior he even has the original boot for the top.
I to have let the car show scene slip as life has gotten in the way but we are trying to become more involved.My oldest daughter is going to collage taking automotive management and trying her hand at building her own classic car,she drives a 93 olds 98 touring sedan as a daily driver.
Back in the day the northern New York club would have a great turnout and sponser one of the prizes and the OCC would pick the best US car their,I'm not sure if this still happens.
Good to hear from you Glenn
Steve
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

The beautiful Starfire you remember belongs to Bill Pitz. Bill & his wife Shirley are wonderful people but unfortunately I've lost touch with them over the years. As far as I know they still own the '61 though last I knew, Bill was mainly showing a red '62 409/4-sp. Impala bubbletop he had restored. Bill is a very talented body and paint guy and loves to work with high-performance engines too. The 394 in his Starfire looked stock, but was hopped-up internally and sounded great with a big lumpy cam in it.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Go back and read his post again. He's not talking about the OCA nationals. He's talking about the annual "Olds Homecoming" show hosted in Lansing each year by the R.E. Olds Chapter.

But the OCA nationals do routinely get, I believe, 300 to 400 cars depending on the location.

What's interesting in this is that a show hosted by a chapter draws as many cars on a yearly basis as the R.E. Olds chapter does. It just shows how many OCA members and Olds enthusiasts are concentrated in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area, and I bet they get a few cars from Canada, too.
Yes, I know what he was talking about. That's why I said "for a local show 500 is impressive", because even the OCA Nats do not host 500 cars.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Yes, I know what he was talking about. That's why I said "for a local show 500 is impressive", because even the OCA Nats do not host 500 cars.
You're right! My bad.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Land Yacht Captain

The website has been updated with more info.

http://www.oldsclub.ca/Nationals/nats2010.html
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM

now I am tempted to take a trip this summer, where and what car is the question
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Sounds like a solid commitment to me!!!

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
now I am tempted to take a trip this summer, where and what car is the question

Quick Reply: 2010 Canadian Oldsmobile Nationals