General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1988 Cutlass GT Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM

1988 Cutlass GT Engine Question

Well guys I purchased a 1988 Cutlass GT a couple months back, never knowing one even existed until the day before I drove 18 hours with my son to pick it up. I was told the previous owner was pulling the motor out to put in a blankity blank 350 for more hp and cost effectiveness. But I was told the stock 307 that was still in the car was running fine just showing coolant in the radiator. My intention was to have my mechanic hopefully just replace some gaskets clean it up and drive it away. Well I know it never is that way but was hoping. My mechanic says he got it running but bearly and there is alot of knocking soo the motor is trash. Here is my dilemma, and this is where some of you might hurt my feelings, but I am a big boy...let me have it. My car is 1 of 400 originally said to be produced down to actually 240 produced and better yet I might have the only one in the "442" color scheme. Now I know some of you say its just a dealer car but to me its rare, i know it isnt a 442, but in my defense 100 times more 442s were produced...we could go all day. Problem is my car was a little rough with 145,000 miles on the odometer missing key parts like the rare scoop, one wing of the rear spoiler I do not see my car getting back to "original condition" without me hitting the lottery soon anyways. Soo what should I do??? Spend a couple grand rebuilding the 307???...a crate motor??? Does anyone have any input on hurting the value...if there is any??...Am I basically just dealing with a Cutlass Supreme because I dont have a Museum quality GT??...Hopefully someone can get my spark lit again because I have to say it is dimming. I see all the time hot rodders taking 70 442 and making it their own with tires and wheels and paint and soo on. I was hoping to be able to take this to car shows with my son when we were done and Im not trying to win anything but I dont want to be laughed away either
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

First, and sorry about this, but there's nothing particularly special or collectible about a 1988 Cutlass GT (other than it's the final year of production of the RWD Cutlass). It will never be worth what an 85-87 442 is worth (and frankly, those cars haven't exactly set the world on fire). The 307 is one step up from a 260, so I agree, don't drop a dime on it. The easiest path (and the one that probably least hurts any future "collectibility" is to replace the 307 with an Olds 350 or 403. That's a drop-in swap and if done right, 99% of the people won't even know it. A 455 is only slightly more work to install, mainly due to the accessory brackets and exhaust manifolds.
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM

i agree with you in some sense, like i said we could argue all day. i like being different and i know when i go somewhere...there will never be a cutlass gt there...lol...i wasnt really looking for speed because lets face it 80s g bodies are NOT fast by any means. But putting 2 grand into a slow dog makes no sense. Now i just have to find an olds 403...just has a nice ring to it. See my problem is I am no mechanic, wish i was, i am no daddy warbucks either. Is it better to find a 403 from a junk yard and have it built or can they be bought crate??

Last edited by 1988CutlassGT; December 29th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM

I don't think there are any sort of Olds "crate" motors. Some of the Olds shops might have deals on complete motors, or you could find one that is rebuilt, or just get a core and do it yourself. I bought my Cutlass as a roller specifically because I wanted to do a swap. Found a low-mile motor for a great price and dropped it in. Joe is right, the 455 is slightly more work depending on how you want to equip it, but nothing serious. The 350 or 403 will bolt right in without any changes. As for value and respect, with 145k miles, I'd venture to say your car would be worth more and get more attention with a 350 or 403 in place of the 307. You'll certainly enjoy it more, and that's what really matters.