General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1988 Cutlass GT

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:53 AM

1988 Cutlass GT

I'm not sure if the earlier post got through or not, so I'll post it again.

I want to thank those that helped me to get started on chasing down the previous owners of my 1988 Cutlass GT, #14 of 280. With their help and the help of the DMVS' in North Carolina and Georgia I've found out that the car had 3 owners in North Carolina and 1 in Georgia before being sold via auction to a museum in Illinois. A fellow from Vancouver Island up here in Canada brought it North of the 49th and I bought it from him. So, a total of 6 owners since new. It would really be interesting to me and maybe others to find out how many of these GTS' are still in existence, so if you've got one or know someone who has, let us know, including the number that is on the plaque that's on the console. Send me a private message, so I can keep a record.

There's not much that the car needs, and I'm keeping the patina. I guess that some would repaint it, and re stripe it, but that's not my thing. I like survivor cars and other than mechanically making it sound, and of course clean, nothing will be done to restore the car.

There are a couple of items that need to be tended too, one being the shifter assembly and the other the shifter plate in the console. So, if any one knows either how to repair the shifter (no detents) and can help with the shifter plate any information would be much appreciated.

I also want to wish all members on the board a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM

Is this yours?
https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/KC1...le-Cutlass-GT/
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty45
Yessir that's mine. The #14 of 400 plaque was removed and the correct number (14 of 280) plaque was put on at the museum. They did some research and found out the same thing I did. The original plan was to build 400, but only 280 were built. I have a letter from Tops & Trends (they did the modifications originally) that confirms that they only did 280 cars.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:03 AM
Oldsdruid

The museum is guilty of rewriting history. The car CAME with the #xxx of 400 plaque, so that's where I'd have left it.

Joe Johnston (former T&T owner) told me there were 287 total, but that's splitting hairs. Amazing you were able to get anything out of them.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The museum is guilty of rewriting history. The car CAME with the #xxx of 400 plaque, so that's where I'd have left it.

Joe Johnston (former T&T owner) told me there were 287 total, but that's splitting hairs. Amazing you were able to get anything out of them.
I agree that the plaque should have been left as it came out of T & T, but it is what it is.

I didn't contact Joe at T & T, I have a copy of a letter from them that was sent to a previous owner. In it, Joe states that they converted 280 cars. The cost to the dealers was $595.00.
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Possibility #88 will be coming up for sale in NC. Needs charcoal paint badly from pics I saw. With no guarantee the decals are still available from T&T, DK what you'd get into trying to refurbish it.