General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1980s Style Boxy CC Whistles

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2023, 11:37 PM

1980s Style Boxy CC Whistles

We've had our 1990 Custom Cruiser for 4 years and it has always whistled above 50. Like some one high pitch whistling. Checked all bearings, doesn't change with shifts or engine speed. Only thing that affects it is cross winds. Do the roof racks and mirrors on these square bodies buffet the wind enough to whistle? You can only hear it with the windows open. Anyone else experienced this?
Old October 27th, 2023, 06:05 AM

Put some wide masking tape over your windshield mouldings (from glass to body) the length of the moulding one at a time and do a test drive to find by process of elimination. You can do the same thing with the luggage rack. I had a g body that the upper windshield would squeal something fierce once ago. This was how I located the problem. Once found you can put a small amount of rtv to calm it down.
Old October 27th, 2023, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by smparr
You can only hear it with the windows open. Anyone else experienced this?
If you can't hear it with the windows closed I think your weather stripping is good​. I used to own a 90 Buick Estate Wagon. It didn't suffer from abnormal wind noise.

Old October 27th, 2023, 09:42 AM
Administrator

With all the trim on these cars, it will happen and it could be any of the moldings.
Old October 27th, 2023, 10:11 AM

All the Ford van I had with pipe racks, did that. Roof racks need to be slightly angled from driver to passenger side. I had to do that to stop the whistling. Not sure how you would do that to factory rack. But did found this

Old October 27th, 2023, 05:01 PM

I'm glad it's not just me. It freaks me out under overpasses because it echoes. I always have the windows down in summer because with the tailgate window open I get a massive breeze. Miss that with modern CUV/SUVs.
Old October 27th, 2023, 10:23 PM
Rocket Renegade!

... with the tailgate window open I get a massive breeze.
And don't worry about those headaches you've been getting. It's probably just the exhaust fumes.
Old October 27th, 2023, 11:55 PM

If you're moving the wind comes in the front windows and blows out the back. Exhaust doesn't come in.
Old October 28th, 2023, 08:51 AM
Rocket Renegade!

If you're moving the wind comes in the front windows and blows out the back. Exhaust doesn't come in.
My understanding is that the open rear window creates a vacuum that sucks exhaust into the cabin whether you can detect it or not.

Mind you, this is only what I've read or heard -- I have no personal experience. Any brain damage I've sustained over the years has been acquired in other ways.
Old October 28th, 2023, 09:33 AM

There is a vacuum effect on the rear window area of wagons. This is the reason that wagon exhaust is always directed out the side rather than straight out the back from the factory. This is also the functional purpose of the go-fast air deflector mounted on the roof of wagons. The air deflector directs air to push any emissions away from the rear window. If you were to have your exhaust directed straight out the back, had no air deflector and were driving with cabin windows closed but rear window open, it would be an optimal scenario for fumes in the cabin.
Old October 29th, 2023, 05:40 AM
Past Administrator

My experience is that with the rear window open I get fumes even though the car has the exhaust exiting behind the rear wheels. It still happens. I don't have an air deflector yet but plan to install one, maybe it will help but even if not it still just looks good on a Vista Cruser. It seems that the video has a good idea except I would venture to say that wrapping cord around the rail makes it less aerodynamic not more aerodynamic even though the effect is achieved regardless of what one calls it. Maybe an engineer could educate us on that fact but lilke I said it really makes no difference, if it works, it works.