General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1975 8 track tape

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM

1975 8 track tape

I am looking for an 8 track tape, the actual tape, that was given as a gift in the 1975 Olds. Cutlass. The tape was found in the glove box. My step dad used to play this tape all the time. I would love to find this tape or a list of all the songs. Anyone know how I could get this list or tape, please let me know.
Thanks, CamoYB
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM

I don't have a 1975 tape, but do have a 1976 in my collection - if the one you are looking for looks like the one in the link below, let me know and I'll write down the songs / artists for you.

http://supercarsunlimited.com/info/p...apes/tapes.htm
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:32 AM

Thank you so much for the reply!
The solid black tape with the Oldsmobile emblem on it, is the tape I remember. If I could get a list of the songs and artists I would really appreciate it!!!!
Thanks CamoYB
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:26 AM

Thumbs up

I have an 8 track, black, dated 1975. The songs are listed as follows:

Program 1

Hues Corporation Rock the Boat
Jack Jones If You Could Read My Mind
Living Strings Songs From M.A.S.H.
Danny Davis Singers Behind Closed Doors

Program 2

Imperial Jazz Band The Entertainer
Ronnie Milsap I Honestly Love You
Benny And The Jets Daniel
Nilsson Without You

Program 3

Main Ingredient Summer Breeze
Julie Budd The Long and Winding Road
Roger Whittaker New World in the Morning
Doc Severinsen A Song for You

Program 4

Perry Como It's Impossible
Floyd Cramer You are the Sunshine of my Life
Dottie West Killing Me Softly with His Song
John Denver Take Me Home Country Roads

Hope this helps bring back memories.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Thank you so much Rocketbrian!
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:10 PM

75 8 track tape

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench in here but the tapes are dated the year previous to the year they were distributed. So a tape dated 75 is actually a 76 tape.
The list of songs above isn't the list of songs you used to listen to.
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:09 AM

I have two dated 1973 and one dated 1976. But know 1975
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:39 PM

A tape given out with the purchase of a 1975 car would have a 1974 date on it.
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:44 PM

I love my 8 tracks and dash player. I don't have any oldsmobile dealer gifts though, but I do have one from Ford, pretty decent shape. always thought it was pretty cool dealers gave em out back then, 74-76 8 tracks were all the rage probably height of popularity at that time. good luck in your search!
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:22 PM

I have an original tape from my parents 1975 Toronado they bought new and it has a 1975 date on the tape housing.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by 442Fred
I have an original tape from my parents 1975 Toronado they bought new and it has a 1975 date on the tape housing.
Now that's way cool! Do you have memories of listening to it as a kid?
Old February 7th, 2016, 07:51 AM

Do u have list of songs on the black one on the left

Originally Posted by Super442s
I don't have a 1975 tape, but do have a 1976 in my collection - if the one you are looking for looks like the one in the link below, let me know and I'll write down the songs / artists for you.

http://supercarsunlimited.com/info/p...apes/tapes.htm
Old September 15th, 2019, 02:52 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the Memories

My Dad bought a brand new 1976 Cutlass Supreme Brougham (sp?) and my father parked it in our enclosed, (immaculate clean garage even dust free) until 2006 - for 30 years, only to take it out for a 15 minute drive on Sunday and waxed it once every 3 months also on a Sunday.

It was candy apple red with chrome accents, a mirror shine, 8 cylinder, a hard top not the fabric type on top of the rear window part of the car like many of the models that year. Since I was too young to drive, I was around 11 when it was purchased. It rode like gliding glass heavy and smooth hugging the road and wide curves. Unlike anything I've ridden or driven since - they just do not make them like that.

This car turned heads whenever anyone drove by or if they happen to get a glance going to the gas station and particularly noticed by attendants and mechanics at the "filling station". Nearly always inquiries as to whether it was for sale. I felt like a queen getting to ride in it, because it was so perfect. I just could not understand what he was keeping it for, since we never got to use the car to go anywhere, except those short trips on Sunday to the gas station...

After I moved out of the house on my own, I heard that my Dad sold the car and within a few days, the car was totally destroyed by a fire from an explosion while parked in front of a business that stored various gases. I felt kind of a sad for the destruction of such an immaculate car after all those countless Sundays, without fail, of washing, rinsing, drying, chamois, vacuuming, wiping every surface with Armor-all, Windex every glass inside and out, a full inside and out detailing, even though it never had been "dirty" which did not matter.

I guess I just wish someone got a chance to really enjoy the car - once - as it was originally made for.

I would have loved to have just driven it around the block, but that was never to be, for my father was the only one allowed to do so. I guess my Dad had his reasons for this obsession toward this particular car, but they are still lost on me to this day, 53 years later.

The good news is - the 8 track tape. My Dad said the music on it was crap music and was a free gift from Oldsmobile company and playing the 8 track was probably put there so it would break the player and have to get it serviced. My Dad always saw the potential in everything to be paranoid about the big guy was solely out to take advantage or 'screw over' the little guy. This was the philosophy about EVERY/ANYTHING electronic that was ever purchased only by absolute necessity or encountered anywhere - you do not use it ever, do not touch it, or get near it.

So since he didn't like the 8 track tape, and it would never get played and was of little value to my Dad, my curiosity got the best of me, and I would play the 8 track in our old truck that was used to go everywhere. I figured if it broke the 8 track player or "wore it out" or explode, etc. it wouldn't be as big of a deal since it was the old truck.

I could not believe it, was like winning the lottery, it didn't blow up, break the tape, or get stuck in the player, or any other numerous ways that it could turn out disastrous, which seemed to be the constant in my life!!! I was euphoric. After all I always seemed to get into trouble for pretty much anything I touched, looked at, listened to, or was in close range of, electronically.

I fount myself listening to the tape repeatedly. There was music on it that was unlike anything I had ever been exposed to. The only other music I was exposed to or allowed to listen to (as a family) was classic country music I'm talking decades before Loretta Lynn - she was considered modern. This did not appeal to me in the least, and the other music was baptist hymns - again the old, original baptist hymns. Music which appealed to me even less than the ancient country...

So this 8-track tape was the savior for me by being the one and only music that was basically "new" and unheard of, a variety of artists I'd heard of or seen on the cover of a magazine at the market checkout, I intently listened to and enjoyed each and every song. My particular memorable favorites that appealed to me: Dottie West, "Killing Me Softly with his Song", John Denver "Country Roads Take Me Home" and Hues Corporation "Rock the Boat".

Over the decades, I have often thought about this first "mix 8-track tape" of wondrous music that opened up a world of various genres and artists. I figured no one would have a clue what or where to find such a single piece of music that meant so much to me. It was like an escape out of the music hell I was locked in for 18 years!

But I typed into Google and boom this popped up, I guess you can find anything in the world that you're looking for on the internet...

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the photo of the promotional 8-tracks from Oldsmobile and listing the Playlist from the tape. The black tape is the one that was in the glove box along with the book for the car that was in a nice leather encasement - they don't do that anymore either - lol How things change, and sometimes music can take you home again.

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
I have an 8 track, black, dated 1975. The songs are listed as follows:

Program 1

Hues Corporation Rock the Boat
Jack Jones If You Could Read My Mind
Living Strings Songs From M.A.S.H.
Danny Davis Singers Behind Closed Doors

Program 2

Imperial Jazz Band The Entertainer
Ronnie Milsap I Honestly Love You
Benny And The Jets Daniel
Nilsson Without You

Program 3

Main Ingredient Summer Breeze
Julie Budd The Long and Winding Road
Roger Whittaker New World in the Morning
Doc Severinsen A Song for You

Program 4

Perry Como It's Impossible
Floyd Cramer You are the Sunshine of my Life
Dottie West Killing Me Softly with His Song
John Denver Take Me Home Country Roads

Hope this helps bring back memories.

Last edited by 76oldsCSB; September 18th, 2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old September 15th, 2019, 02:55 PM

@W70442....you are correct as far as I recall...the tape was dated 1975 and the model of my father's cutlass was '76 for what it's worth...

Last edited by 76oldsCSB; September 18th, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:44 PM

43 yrs.
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:24 AM

Wow, I love that story CSB! I never really thought about how much a free tape could become such a memory for a kid. Thanks for sharing that.
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:53 AM

Awesome story, sometimes the most obscure thing can have a profound affect on our lives. Sad story about your father's Cutlass, such a loss on a pampered car. Glad you shared that music experience with us.
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:45 AM

I see factory 8 tracks at the swaps here. You gotta hit the swaps. Found a 1978 GM 8 track tape at the Packard Grounds swap a few years back for in my glove box,
I recently found Led Zep 1&2 nOS wrapped up still in the box. I think I’ll sell them.

Last edited by Burd; September 16th, 2019 at 06:48 AM.