General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Cutlass Supreme with factory 455

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:58 AM

And if you find a car with AC it doesn't mean you won't spend more money than you care to on getting it fixed. This time of year, most northern cars "feel" like they are blowing cool air. Different story in 95 degree with 90% humidity midwest summer air
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:49 AM

KVP if your looking for a nice original ac car I found this 70 on Detroit craigslist. I don't know the car but it is close to me and I could look at it for you. Just let me know

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5194145003.html
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:16 AM

I found this 70 on Detroit craigslist
That's a nice looking car.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:33 AM

wow, very nice . A decent amount of money but looks like it is in great condition. I'm always hesitant to believe "only 33k original miles" but look at that interior, it looks mint - I'm inclined to believe this car has never rolled over 100k. If in the market it would be a great car

It also has the rare 350 rocket FIRE engine in it.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
wow, very nice . A decent amount of money but looks like it is in great condition. I'm always hesitant to believe "only 33k original miles" but look at that interior, it looks mint - I'm inclined to believe this car has never rolled over 100k. If in the market it would be a great car

I think so too! Plus from reading the posters thread I believe it meets his critera as well.

The seller must be a chevy guy with those turbo fire engines.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I thought that was funny too. Likely has the HC 350? Color is not 'rare' though. Code 78 Burgundy Mist.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:24 AM

Yep, as it's a '70 Supreme, the std. engine would be the 350/310hp, with the 10.25 compression, as it is the 4bbl (air cleaner), we know that it is not the 250hp low compression optional engine.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
KVP

Originally Posted by JpMotorsports
KVP if your looking for a nice original ac car I found this 70 on Detroit craigslist. I don't know the car but it is close to me and I could look at it for you. Just let me know

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5194145003.html
John,

Sent a response to your PM. Appreciate your thoughtful, generous offer. The car looks like a real possibility. Let me know if you don't get the PM response. Thanks.

Keith
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:58 AM

PM received and I will let you know what works out
Old September 23rd, 2015, 04:37 PM

common color?

Originally Posted by Allan R
I thought that was funny too. Likely has the HC 350? Color is not 'rare' though. Code 78 Burgundy Mist.
Are you saying that code 78 Burgundy Mist is common? I disagree.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 04:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Are you saying that code 78 Burgundy Mist is common? I disagree.
No, I said it wasn't 'rare', as stated by the seller. Maybe you interpret that to be common, IDK? Since there are no records to prove one way or another the number of cars produced with that standard offering on the color palette, neither you or myself can prove or disprove 'rare' or 'common'. I do remember growing up with these cars, but can't tell you off the top of my head what I remember seeing as the popular choice 45 years ago. Now if you said 71 code 43 Lime Green, I'm there with you about being a rarely sighted beast. I've only seen 1 in person and it lived 2 houses down from me in 1974. 442 with a 4 speed.

Compare Baroque Gold (which ironically looks more green) in 1972. Not a color that a lot of folks liked then or even today, and no record of how many were produced. I've seen several but that doesn't mean rare or common. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of cars have been repainted from their birth colors to more popular shades preferred by the owner. My 72 is an excellent example. It was code 14 (not rare). Now it's Corvette Silver, which I think is a far nicer shade.

The cars that survive today in their original colors and trim (cowl tag data) IMO are more 'rare' by comparison.
Old October 7th, 2015, 05:25 AM

So.... KVP do you have any news to share? Especially pictures!
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:26 AM
KVP

Originally Posted by JpMotorsports
So.... KVP do you have any news to share? Especially pictures!
Yes, I do indeed. I am now the owner of a low mileage, original Olds Cutlass Supreme with burgundy mist paint, black vinyl roof and the requisite AC. JpMotorsports was instrumental in the process. He located the car, test drove it and gave me a detailed evaluation. Based on this, I negotiated a tentative price and arranged to see the car in person The car was as presented and the purchase was completed. If you need some one to put eyes on a car in SE MI, John would serve you well. I'm really appreciative to John for his efforts. I'll need a sunny day and some education on picture posting before I can put pics up.

Keith
Old October 7th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
No, I said it wasn't 'rare', as stated by the seller. Maybe you interpret that to be common, IDK? Since there are no records to prove one way or another the number of cars produced with that standard offering on the color palette, neither you or myself can prove or disprove 'rare' or 'common'.
But there are trends to go by - I can tell you, for 1970, burgundy was one of the rarer colors for the GS and GTO. And if you want to talk 1972, only about 1,500 Mustangs were a similar color. Of course, it depends on the model, so it could have been more popular on full-size cars.
Old October 7th, 2015, 10:37 AM

Congrats KVP, that is a sweet looking car.
Old October 7th, 2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by KVP
Yes, I do indeed. I am now the owner of a low mileage, original Olds Cutlass Supreme with burgundy mist paint, black vinyl roof and the requisite AC. JpMotorsports was instrumental in the process. He located the car, test drove it and gave me a detailed evaluation. Based on this, I negotiated a tentative price and arranged to see the car in person The car was as presented and the purchase was completed. If you need some one to put eyes on a car in SE MI, John would serve you well. I'm really appreciative to John for his efforts. I'll need a sunny day and some education on picture posting before I can put pics up.

Keith

Thank you Keith for the kind words and recommendation!! I am so glad you found this great car and like I said before in our communications thank you for letting me do this for you!