General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Cutlass Power Steering Pump Removal

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:46 AM

1972 Cutlass Power Steering Pump Removal

My power steering pump is making a very annoying squeeking noise, sounds like a bearing issue. I live very near Nixa, MO so I am going to have Power Steering.com rebuild it. When removing the pump, do you have to remove the pulley? The CSM says to loosen the pulley nut but Im uncertain why. I have seen several posts referring to a post by Joe P regarding the removal/installation but I cannot find it using the search function.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:20 PM

Help

Hey guys any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Im needing to remove the pump first thing in the mor ing.

Thanks
Will
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:35 PM

You can remove the pump from the engine without removing the pulley, but to remove the mounting bracket from the pump will require the pulley removed. You can rent pullers from the parts stores.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
You can remove the pump from the engine without removing the pulley, but to remove the mounting bracket from the pump will require the pulley removed. You can rent pullers from the parts stores.
Thanks for the reply Matt. I can take it to the rebuilder with the pulley and bracket on it. I assume it can be reinstalled with the pulley and bracket mounted....correct?

Last edited by Will22; February 23rd, 2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:56 PM

Will, if your rebuilder is local that would be the easiest way to take care of it. If you have the original 1972 pump it does take a special puller to remove the pulley. If over the years someone swapped on the 1968-70 style the pulley can be removed by taking off the big nut and using a brass drift or plastic hammer to tap on the shaft while you support the pulley with your other hand. Here's a few things for you to check out, first is from the 1972 Chassis Service Manual. Then are some photos of what the pumps look like in person. If you plan to work on your car I'd encourage you to pick up one of the Chassis Service Manuals as it has a lot of helpful information. John

Then here's some photos of the earlier pump that doesn't need a puller to remove the pulley.

Old February 23rd, 2019, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Will, if your rebuilder is local that would be the easiest way to take care of it. If you have the original 1972 pump it does take a special puller to remove the pulley. If over the years someone swapped on the 1968-70 style the pulley can be removed by taking off the big nut and using a brass drift or plastic hammer to tap on the shaft while you support the pulley with your other hand. Here's a few things for you to check out, first is from the 1972 Chassis Service Manual. Then are some photos of what the pumps look like in person. If you plan to work on your car I'd encourage you to pick up one of the Chassis Service Manuals as it has a lot of helpful information. John

Then here's some photos of the earlier pump that doesn't need a puller to remove the pulley.

Thanks John. I do have a CSM and it is the original 1972 pump. It looks like I only need to remove two nuts and a bolt after removing the alternator belt. I just didnt understand why the CSM said to loosen the pulley nut? Is that necessary? I do plan to take it to the rebuilder with the link and pulley on the unit.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 07:21 PM

Will, its been several years since I took one of these apart, but since the 1972 pump has holes in the pulley you might be able to remove the brackets without removing the pulley. I don't know for sure, but looking at it I'm thinking that might be an option. Not sure what the CSM means by loosening the pulley nut. Without a puller you can't loosen the pulley. Oh well... I expect your rebuilder will know the best way to get it apart and back together again!
Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Will, its been several years since I took one of these apart, but since the 1972 pump has holes in the pulley you might be able to remove the brackets without removing the pulley. I don't know for sure, but looking at it I'm thinking that might be an option. Not sure what the CSM means by loosening the pulley nut. Without a puller you can't loosen the pulley. Oh well... I expect your rebuilder will know the best way to get it apart and back together again!
Thanks John.