General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Cutlass No Start

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2023, 06:45 AM

1972 Cutlass No Start

Hey all, been a long time. I have been scouring the posts on here for any help, as I know this is one you have heard before.

Last fall, I went out and started up that Cutlass, (I try to do it a few times over the winter months), and it started right up, and I let it run for about 10 minutes, and shut the car off. A few weeks later, I went out to start it up, and it gave me one small crank, then nothing. It did give me the "click", like power is getting to the solenoid. I thought for sure "starter". I pulled the starter yesterday, and took it to AutoZone to be tested. Are those tests pretty reliable? They tested it it 3 times and they said it was fine. I'm pretty sure this thing isn't locked up, it was built in 2010 by a reputable shop, and the engine probably has 500 - 700 miles on it at most, as I only take it to local cars shows, etc. I'm stumped at this point. I also want to make sure this starter is good before I crawl under there and put that thing back in the car. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 19th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a low battery or dirty cable ends.
Old November 19th, 2023, 07:34 AM

Agreed. The starter test is very good, so I would suspect low voltage / current as the issue. Dirty, corroded, or even loose battery cable end clamps is the #1 suspect.
Old November 19th, 2023, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Sounds like a low battery or dirty cable ends.
Thanks Eric, I thought the same thing. Brand new battery, has plenty of juice. Checked the cable ends at the battery, they seem to be clean.
Old November 19th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kevin.horton
Thanks Eric, I thought the same thing. Brand new battery, has plenty of juice. Checked the cable ends at the battery, they seem to be clean.
A fully charged battery is 12.6v where the .6 is very important, see chart below. Just because they look clean does not necessarily mean they are. Go over both the ends and battery terminals with a cleaning brush.

Old November 19th, 2023, 08:41 AM

Thanks Eric, I'll give that a try.
Old November 19th, 2023, 08:50 AM

Kevin, running the car for 10 minutes or so, isn't really enough time or rpm to keep the battery charged. You are actually better off not running it at all, if you can't take it out for a drive. The cart needs to be hot to burn off any moisture in the exhaust, etc. During its "off" time, I would suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable (if you have a clock or anything that might pull some voltage) and put the battery on a trickle charger, or check it every once in a while.
Old November 19th, 2023, 09:21 AM

Thank you Pat, yeah I keep it on a little battery maintainer as well. It's a little Harbor Freight battery trickle charger. Seems to keep the battery up ok. It was just odd that I went out and started it up, then a few weeks later, one little half-hearted crank, and then nothing. This was last winter. I was going to do something with it this past summer, but due to some health issues I wasn't able to do it, so here I am now, trying to work on it.
Old November 19th, 2023, 09:28 AM

Turn on and watch the headlamps while another attempts to crank the car. What do the headlights do, no change, very slight dimming or practically extinguish?

Do you have volt/ohmmeter?
Old November 19th, 2023, 09:34 AM

Thanks, once I get the starter back in I'll try that and let you know. I have cleaned the cable ends as per Eric's instructions, I just need to get the energy to get back under the car to get the starter reinstalled. Once I do that, I'll have the Mrs. turn the key with the headlights on and see what it does. I don't have a volt/ohm meter.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 02:31 PM

Thank you all for the advice... cleaned the cable ends until they were bright and shiny...got under the car today, re-installed the starter. Held my breath and turned the key... BOOM! It turned over. Now, it won't catch fire. Scenario: I let this car sit for almost a year without starting, what would you guys do? Check for spark 1st? Bad fuel filter maybe? Bunk fuel? This is HEI, so no points. While we're on the subject, are Quadrajets pretty easy to rebuild? This thing has never really run right since I got it. It will hesitate at stop lights, then go, so I thought maybe the carb needed to be rebuilt. I don't think it ever has been, or if it was, a long time ago. I'd like to keep the QJ on and not mess with another carb.

Once again, thanks for the replies and advice on this, and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Engines need fuel and a properly timed spark to run. You need to figure which one is missing. Operate the carb linkage with the key off while looking down into the carb and see if there is 2 solid streams spraying. With a voltmeter, check at the BATT terminal wire on the HEI with the key on to see if you have full battery voltage. If you have voltage, crank the engine and check for spark at the plugs.
Old November 23rd, 2023, 02:56 PM

Thanks Eric, I'll do that. Can you recommend a good voltmeter to buy, so I can have it when I need it. I need to start getting the correct diagnostic tools if I'm going to keep this car running.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old November 23rd, 2023, 03:37 PM
Administrator

It doesn’t need to be expensive, any simple volt, ohm meter will work.