General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 CS Pin stripes

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2019, 11:47 AM

1972 CS Pin stripes

Does anyone have a source for the pin stripes that go down the sides of the Supreme. I believe they were painted on at the factory, but need self adhesive type or stencil or what ever. Would like them as close to original look as possible. Anyone? THANKS like always.
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Often they were done at the dealer as a thinner pair of stripes, but there is one thicker 3-stripe type that turns up somewhat consistently that I never recall seeing back in the day, so there almost had to be a kit or stencil for it.

Terry
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:18 PM

I am needing to do the same for my CS. So far I have not been able to find any three stripe tapes that are close to the factory size noted in the assembly manual.
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:20 PM

Old February 6th, 2019, 01:22 PM

I'd love to know if you come across a good template. I may be adding another '72 CS to my collection in June and it had the stripes shown for years, but it no longer does after being restored. My OCD will require me to put them back on.

Terry
Old February 6th, 2019, 05:38 PM

in the 72 olds cutlass assembly manual they have the dimensions of the stripes around page 150, I had these duplicated by Flinner in Zelienople PA and I installed 24 years ago and are like new still, I had pictures from when My car was new and duplicated placement, these were vinyl? stripes, I don't think they were dealer installed, i believe they were on my window sticker from the factory, I have it somewhere , I"ll repost when I find it Thanks Tim

Last edited by green1972; February 6th, 2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:48 PM

That would be great Tim. How about a pic of your green car with the stripes? I only saw it it once in your garage years ago. Would still love to see pics of your SX project too!
Terry
Old February 6th, 2019, 07:44 PM

I did check the window sticker , $21.00 for side stripes I'll have to have my daughter help me post pics, Tim
Old February 7th, 2019, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by green1972
in the 72 olds cutlass assembly manual they have the dimensions of the stripes around page 150, I had these duplicated by Flinner in Zelienople PA and I installed 24 years ago and are like new still, I had pictures from when My car was new and duplicated placement, these were vinyl? stripes, I don't think they were dealer installed, i believe they were on my window sticker from the factory, I have it somewhere , I"ll repost when I find it Thanks Tim
My late brother's 1972 CS (which he purchased new in December 1971) has vinyl stripes and to my knowledge the car has never been repainted. I do not have the window sticker for it.
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:14 AM
Lansing built

I live in the Lansing area. So whenever I come across any Fisher or Olds retirees. I try to glean any information I can! Just happen to come across this last weekend a gent and his wife at my favorite antique store and yes they always have Olds paraphernalia on hand. Anyways just starting off I see this couple with hands full of Olds drinking glass and we were all drooling over a an oldsmobile dealer lighted sign. So the conversation turns to he is retired from Plant 1 which is final assembly here in Lansing. He was telling me he worked in the paint shop and was telling me about the paint tools and how they applied certain stripes they had jig/fixture that would suction cup to the car so they could paint what ever stripe that was required or ordered.He also mentioned the hand tool that could filled paint and had two and wheels that could lay stripes which has been mentioned here on this forum before.

We also talked about the hood decals about using soap and water, squeeged the bubbles and wrinkles. He did not mention which exact years and models.

Pat
Old February 7th, 2019, 06:08 PM

I found the pin stripe sizes in the assembly manual, but it doesn't help, except for knowing the peramiters, I don't think I am anywhere talented enough to buy enough of three different sizes and putting them on the car with any consistancy. Sure would be nice if someone made the stripes. Thanks all
Old February 13th, 2019, 07:05 PM

1st pic
Old February 13th, 2019, 08:38 PM

Looks even better than I remember, Tim. I forgot you had the OAI hood on it. (Still would love to see a pic of the brown SX...)

Terry
Old February 14th, 2019, 09:18 AM

I'll try to get some more pictures, also how Flinner made the stripes , they were laid out on a sheet strait,all three together with correct spacing on a backing, you just peeled it off, but had to put the curves in , but it wasn't hard at all , Terry, I brought the sx home in 90? pulled the motor and trans and it has been sitting in a barn since, I'm not sure if I even have a picture, I had it in back of my house and the next door neighbor had a daughter getting married, so she turned me , the neighbor on the other side who was into 70's nova's and the guy across the street who was into early 70's trucks to the police for cars without plates or inspections, so I had to move it quick or they would fine and or tow them, needless to say nobody talks to the old Bitch since,and when the daughters are there they all have range rovers or lexus or other high end cars and have their alarms on, when I go past or the other guys we blow past these cars and their alarms go off , and they are running out looking for someone messing with their cars, Tim