General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 W30 4-speed @ Mecum Kissimmee

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

1970 W30 4-speed @ Mecum Kissimmee

Take a look at this one. This car seems to have a lot of provenance. Pretty awesome car but I have no doubt there are some here that can pick it to pieces.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-48...ource=hs_email
Old December 20th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

I know nothing about this car, nor do I have any opinion on it or critique of it.

I do have to ask, however, is it just me, or does make it seem like all 150 of the 96 original cars have been up for sale in the last year?
Old December 20th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I know nothing about this car, nor do I have any opinion on it or critique of it.

I do have to ask, however, is it just me, or does make it seem like all 150 of the 96 original cars have been up for sale in the last year?
151 but who's counting...
Old December 20th, 2021, 03:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Well they are probably like ram air hoods, there are more of them today than there were back in 1970-72. This one does sound pretty well documented.
Old December 20th, 2021, 03:23 PM

Looks a nice restoration, and apparently legit NHRA racing provenance.
Old December 20th, 2021, 03:32 PM
72 Olds CS

Side stripe ends are nice and flat not uphill like a lot of them end up.
Old December 20th, 2021, 05:03 PM

Ok...maybe I'm too nitpicky, but for 200K and all the provenance and restoration effort, where is the cap for the stud on the horn relay?
Old December 20th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 72455
Ok...maybe I'm too nitpicky, but for 200K and all the provenance and restoration effort, where is the cap for the stud on the horn relay?
Damn Skippy! Good eye, Dave.
Old December 20th, 2021, 05:38 PM
Banned

So while this is a topic. Do you all know the ex President of the Oldsmobile Club of America's 70 Rallye Red W-30 four speed ragtop?
Old December 20th, 2021, 05:47 PM

Just curious, should the oil cap be painted or not? This one is not painted.
Old December 20th, 2021, 06:04 PM

Ok stop, please. I knew the original owner and the car since this car was delivered new to General Sales. The owner was originally Paul Mayo, my Oldsmobile mentor. I had the same car except my car was blue with a white top and white interior, automatic. Paul taught me everything about the importance of Oldsmobile timing, point dwell, removing our power steering belts, staging, and how to get the most out of our cars racing in pure stock class. Paul lived in Exton, PA, and I still remember Paul's phone number, 363-6664 (no area codes in 1970). We used to meet at Paul's house, tune and wash our cars in preparation for organized racing. We raced at Atco Dragway, Englishtown, NJ, Cecil County Maryland, etc. I stayed in pure stock and Paul moved on to the point in which his car had to be trailered. Paul brought my car down to 13.28 at 108.78MPH, pure stock, with factory air. Paul's car was a 4 speed and air conditioning was not available. Paul car was later purchased by Ron McHugh, the current owner. Ron offered the car to me, but I must have air conditioning. I know so much about this car. When the car sells, a piece of my heart will go with the car......so many great memories.

This is Paul's car in his Exton, PA driveway, top down.

Paul's car in his Exton, Pa driveway, winter.

Racing GG/Z pure stock class.

Staging lanes, Atco Dragway, Atco, NJ

Self explanatory.

Englishtown, NJ. Front wheels off of the ground.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; December 20th, 2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old December 20th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Looks a nice restoration, and apparently legit NHRA racing provenance.
Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Side stripe ends are nice and flat not uphill like a lot of them end up.
Originally Posted by redoldsman
This one does sound pretty well documented.

Amen. This car of all the cars out there that are questioned? This car is so not that car. This car has been known since new. Hence the price. This isn't some gayway motors car. This is the real deal. Zero picking from this corner.
Old December 20th, 2021, 11:04 PM

Since everyone seems paranoid to say anything…. Why in the original pics are the 442 and W30 fender emblems higher in relation to the strip, compared to now where the 442 seems like it’s almost touching the stripe and the W30 is sitting at the bottom of it?

Old December 21st, 2021, 01:14 AM

Are the valve covers on backwards or is it just shadows? My stick holiday coupe W-30 didn't come with a fan shroud, are convertibles different?

Last edited by dragline; December 21st, 2021 at 01:35 AM. Reason: addition
Old December 21st, 2021, 08:12 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
Since everyone seems paranoid to say anything…. Why in the original pics are the 442 and W30 fender emblems higher in relation to the strip, compared to now where the 442 seems like it’s almost touching the stripe and the W30 is sitting at the bottom of it?
________________Exactly, but I was trying not to be too critical, but since you bring it up, yes, the new strips are obviously a little wiggy.

I will say though, that in the pictures Twightlightblue posted that the W30 emblem does float a little low on the stripes than mine do, and the space between the 442 numerals and the W30 is very minimal in the Mecum pictures.

Perhaps this is a convertible thing as compared to a hardtop? You will also note the bumper embellishment does not line up with the side stripe either. This is the case in the old pictures and also in the new pictures it seems to me.

Bottom line, yes, the current stripes could have been installed more appropriately.

Old December 21st, 2021, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by dragline
Are the valve covers on backwards or is it just shadows?
In the Hemmings article they look correct

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...e#&gid=1&pid=2
Old December 21st, 2021, 10:16 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Awesome W-30. I love the color combination. The blue stripes in '70 are really unique.
Old December 21st, 2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
________________Exactly, but I was trying not to be too critical, but since you bring it up, yes, the new strips are obviously a little wiggy.

I will say though, that in the pictures Twightlightblue posted that the W30 emblem does float a little low on the stripes than mine do, and the space between the 442 numerals and the W30 is very minimal in the Mecum pictures.

Perhaps this is a convertible thing as compared to a hardtop? You will also note the bumper embellishment does not line up with the side stripe either. This is the case in the old pictures and also in the new pictures it seems to me.

Bottom line, yes, the current stripes could have been installed more appropriately.

You’re not being critical, neither was I.

it’s a glaring thing that isn’t right. Neither is the very short positive battery cable that short cuts across the valve cover…unless that’s a convert thing too? 🙄

I have a question ,, with only 29k original miles and from what I’ve read, were at the track.

why would a car that’s never seen the road need a frame off pristine resto like this?

wouldn’t it be more valuable, more attractive and rare to leave it as it was? With its race stickers and back in the day of its glory?

that’s actually the true history of the car and why it’s got , or had the persona it had.

it was all erased during the frame off…gone, pfft, vanished. Pics and all that other stuff don’t cut it…not for me anyway.

Tell me what the difference is between this car now and another car that is a fake or clone or tribute of this car….done to the exact detail as this one? Put them side by side and ask someone to pick out the real ex race car with all its history,, even ask the original owner to pick out the one he owned and raced…?

he couldn’t do it,, because it’s gone, all the Olds experts in the world couldn’t pick out the real original race car…unless you looked at the serial number.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; December 21st, 2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 03:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Looks to me like all somebody has to do is raise the trunk lid to prove the provenance but then I guess the trunk could have come off a different car. Do you guys really think that all the chrome and stipes lined up perfectly when these car came off the assembly line. These were Oldsmobiles not Mercedes and GM was building these car as quick as they could sell them which was very fast.

Last edited by redoldsman; December 21st, 2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:18 PM
Banned

You’re not being critical, neither was I.

it’s a glaring thing that isn’t right. Neither is the very short positive battery cable that short cuts across the valve cover…unless that’s a convert thing too? 🙄

I have a question ,, with only 29k original miles and from what I’ve read, were at the track.

why would a car that’s never seen the road need a frame off pristine resto like this?

wouldn’t it be more valuable, more attractive and rare to leave it as it was? With its race stickers and back in the day of its glory?

that’s actually the true history of the car and why it’s got , or had the persona it had.

it was all erased during the frame off…gone, pfft, vanished. Pics and all that other stuff don’t cut it…not for me anyway.

Tell me what the difference is between this car now and another car that is a fake or clone or tribute of this car….done to the exact detail as this one? Put them side by side and ask someone to pick out the real ex race car with all its history,, even ask the original owner to pick out the one he owned and raced…?

he couldn’t do it,, because it’s gone, all the Olds experts in the world couldn’t pick out the real original race car…unless you looked at the serial number.
Of All the cars that we see go thru the auction houses lame dealers etc. This car is nowhere near a clone. How could you even compare this car to a clone? This car has mad history. True history. A clone is a Cutlass in 442 trim. It's funny to me to see a known W-30 ragtop like this get beat up here. This car is legit. Has provanance deep. Why would it need a frame off? It was a race car. Anyone that was around a race car from the day that it was born gets it. It may not have hundreds of thousands of miles but that car was ran hard. Beautiful car. Someone will get a very very cool ACTUAL W-30 ragtop. Picking This car apart? Yeah I don't see it.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I knew it would happen. Always does.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:32 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

This is laughable.

1.) The 4 speed battery cable actually cuts across the LH valve cover like that intentionally. What you see in the auction picture is correct.

2.) The car has seen the road. In fact, it appears this W-30 was on the road for 29k miles. And a previous commenter showed the car in PA out in the snow. Not to mention that a race car gets treated a little rougher than a daily driver.

3.) A race car in full racing livery appeals to a subset of buyers. A concours restoration back to factory condition likely casts a wider net.

I love this car and would have no issue sticking this in my garage if I were in the market for a W-30 ragtop. I hope the seller cashes in to the tune of $200k+.

Last edited by WTHIRTY1; December 21st, 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I knew it would happen. Always does.

Nothing is ever good enough for this site anymore.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Of All the cars that we see go thru the auction houses lame dealers etc. This car is nowhere near a clone. How could you even compare this car to a clone? This car has mad history. True history. A clone is a Cutlass in 442 trim. It's funny to me to see a known W-30 ragtop like this get beat up here. This car is legit. Has provanance deep. Why would it need a frame off? It was a race car. Anyone that was around a race car from the day that it was born gets it. It may not have hundreds of thousands of miles but that car was ran hard. Beautiful car. Someone will get a very very cool ACTUAL W-30 ragtop. Picking This car apart? Yeah I don't see it.
what? You idiot, i never said anything of the sort.

read what I said again, then you can apologize.

jackass,, I never said it was a clone…not even close

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; December 21st, 2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
This is laughable.

1.) The 4 speed battery cable actually cuts across the LH valve cover like that intentionally. What you see in the auction picture is correct.

2.) The car has seen the road. In fact, it appears this W-30 was on the road for 29k miles. And a previous commenter showed the car in PA out in the snow. Not to mention that a race car gets treated a little rougher than a daily driver.

3.) A race car in full racing livery appeals to a subset of buyers. A concours restoration back to factory condition likely casts a wider net.

I love this car and would have no issue sticking this in my garage if I were in the market for a W-30 ragtop. I hope the seller cashes in to the tune of $200k+.
nope…why does it need to cast a wider net? The history of the car was not preserved at all.

You didn’t read or understand what I said either

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; December 21st, 2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:42 PM
Banned

Go read your own posts. Check yourself. You are the one that said what makes this different than a clone? Me jackass? I love internet tough guys. Go reread your post. Better a jackass than a dumbass. You trashed this car in your post. Carry on...
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:43 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

nope…why does it need to cast a wider net?

You didn’t read or understand what I said either
I did, actually. You offer an interesting perspective. I am guessing restored concours cars just aren’t your thing based on your reply—which is fine.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:45 PM

Go read your own posts. Check yourself. You are the one that said what makes this different than a clone? Me jackass? I love internet tough guys. Go reread your post. Better a jackass than a dumbass. You trashed this car in your post. Carry on...
you are a halfwit. I never said it was a clone.

here, I’ll say it again. Someone could build another car identical to this in every way,, a clone. Two cars, the original and the clone side by side…nobody could tell them apart

even the original owner.

understand? You are still an idiot
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:46 PM
Banned

PS: I am a huge fan of leaving cars as they were as race cars. I love history left.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:48 PM
Banned

you are a halfwit. I never said it was a clone.

here, I’ll say it again. Someone could build another car identical to this in every way,, a clone. Two cars, the original and the clone side by side…nobody could tell them apart

even the original owner.

understand? You are still an idiot
Classic. You said what you said. That's one good thing about the internet. Once you put it down it is there for good. Pull your panties out. You said it not me. Yup I am an idiot. Anymore names you want to call me out on the playground? You are killing me smalls.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
I did, actually. You offer an interesting perspective. I am guessing restored concours cars just aren’t your thing based on your reply—which is fine.
yup, you got me.

I am not into concours restos of special cars that have a great history.

other cars,, I don’t care.

a concours resto of a car like this takes it down a notch. This will attract big money buyers who are in it for the money,, it will flip again shorty for a profit.

i know I have different tastes when it comes to special cars. When they are gone, as in concours restos, they are gone for good.

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; December 21st, 2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:51 PM

Classic. You said what you said. That's one good thing about the internet. Once you put it down it is there for good. Pull your panties out. You said it not me. Yup I am an idiot. Anymore names you want to call me out on the playground? You are killing me smalls.
are you going to apologize for saying I said it was a clone?
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 442Fred
Nothing is ever good enough for this site anymore.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:59 PM
Banned

Tell me what the difference is between this car now and another car that is a fake or clone or tribute of this car….done to the exact detail as this one? .
Hello....

Take a breath Marsha. You are all worked up. You had nothing good to say about this car in your post. You Trashed it. It is a real W-30 ragtop. That is the difference between this car and a clone. This car has mad history. You say what makes this car different than a clone. You said it not me. I am done with arguing. I am an idiot.
Old December 21st, 2021, 05:02 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

It’s difficult to surmise what’s in the seller’s head. Obviously, the seller felt a restoration was in order, and that’s done regardless of the opinions here.

In 1970 it’s a fact Oldsmobile made cars—not fine jewelry. My first car, a 1970 GTO was a testament to that.

Everyone has something to add here. We may not agree with everything one says, but we can be sane and respectful to others; name calling is simply not warranted.

Level heads rock!
Old December 21st, 2021, 05:10 PM

no1oldsfan check yourself... all you ever do is talk smack and look for a fight, get a grip on the lip, this aint the place for your bullshit
Old December 21st, 2021, 05:13 PM
Banned

Like I said also. I absolutely love old race cars that are still the way they were when they were race cars.

This car is beautiful. I was warped on Oldsmobile's at twelve when one of my brothers bought a 70 W-31 in these colors. I have always had a thing for this color combo. There is no better looking 1970 convertible than an Olds. Period.
Old December 21st, 2021, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by otto72
no1oldsfan check yourself... all you ever do is talk smack and look for a fight, get a grip on the lip, this aint the place for your bullshit
See no I don't. That is your viewpoint. I actually bring something to this website. I don't talk ****. I don't look for a fight. Who came at who? Get in line G. I am done with pansies. You win in your head. That's what matters. 🌬️ Me.
Old December 21st, 2021, 05:47 PM

PS: I am a huge fan of leaving cars as they were as race cars. I love history left.
I am too,, so whats the problem with what i said?

Old December 21st, 2021, 05:55 PM

Hello....

Take a breath Marsha. You are all worked up. You had nothing good to say about this car in your post. You Trashed it. It is a real W-30 ragtop. That is the difference between this car and a clone. This car has mad history. You say what makes this car different than a clone. You said it not me. I am done with arguing. I am an idiot.
wtf? I never even hinted that it wasnt a real W30....im 100% sure it is. it doesnt need any Minore rocket report to prove that to me.

you have an over active imagination. thinking I said something not even close to what i said

Quick Reply: 1970 W30 4-speed @ Mecum Kissimmee