General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 w-30

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2018, 05:02 PM

1970 w-30

Did the 1970 W-30's have the sound deadener under the carpet along with the jute backing on the carpet or was it omitted?? I know they were suppose to have less sound deadener than the average car----thanks----Greg
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zr1bandit
Did the 1970 W-30's have the sound deadener under the carpet along with the jute backing on the carpet or was it omitted?? I know they were suppose to have less sound deadener than the average car----thanks----Greg
The reduced sound deadener was primarily the deletion of the underhood insulation pad, which couldn't be used with the O.A.I. hood anyway, but the marketing guys sure took credit for that.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:17 PM

Jute backing was on all the carpet sets.....AC, non-AC, W car or non-W car.

Not 100% sure on the "tar paper"-like floor sound deadener....

On a very original '70 W30 (factory AC equipped car) there is not any of the "tar paper" laying on the floors or tunnel, etc. In the front footwells THERE ARE full coverage "panels" of a silver/alum colored plastic covered insulation type material. The insulation is a yellowish type material but I can't tell if it's a fiberglass type material or instead a natural or some type of man-made insulation. Anyway, the silver/alum plastic sheeting is only on the topside with the bare "insulation" material down against the floor.

Nothing is under the carpet/jute in the rear seat footwells.

I know plenty of the '70 models did have the tar type material laid down onto the floor and areas of the tunnel but my guess is maybe the W30 didn't get the stuff. BUT, I believe '70 W31's DID GET the tar pieces...at least those based on a Cutlass "S" instead of a F85.

Then the question becomes "Why the silver plastic covered front footwell material?"....was it b/c of the AC option OR was it put in all '70 W30s so there would be some additional sound/heat insulation?

Last edited by 70Post; February 5th, 2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
On a very original '70 W30 (factory AC equipped car) there is not any of the "tar paper" laying on the floors or tunnel, etc. In the front footwells THERE ARE full coverage "panels" of a silver/alum colored plastic covered insulation type material. The insulation is a yellowish type material but I can't tell if it's a fiberglass type material or instead a natural or some type of man-made insulation. Anyway, the silver/alum plastic sheeting is only on the topside with the bare "insulation" material down against the floor.
I've seen that silver with yellow like fiberglass insulation. it was on a 69 S built in Fremont that I parted. None of my 31s had it and my w-30 is too rough to tell. On that same said w-30, it appears it has the tar paper like underlayment, but it's just too rough to tell and make a definitive decision.
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:22 PM

Mine had the foil backed insulation as well. From what I remember all the way up to the the rise of the back of the rear foot well.
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:09 PM

My '69 W31 did not have the fiberglass type of insulation on the floor.