General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 vista cruiser in Calif what to do

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM

1970 vista cruiser in Calif what to do

I bought a complete 1970 vista cruiser when I started restoring my 442. Thought I may need parts and really did not need to take anything.

I recently bought a very cool 1971 vista cruiser with a 5 speed stick conversion. Running complete and registered California rust free car too. Nice to live in California. Love the 5 speed vista cruiser and I am at the point to either part or sell complete the 1970. I generally have a philosophical problem with parting out cars. In my old age I hate to ship stuff and a partial car in my sideyard doesn't sound very good either.

Long way to get to the question. It looks like the parts may be worth more than the whole. Then again to sell it the car leaves my property. It would be pretty easy to get to 2500 with all the good parts on the car.
What should I do? Had it on craigslist for some time at $4500 with no interest then tried the trade thing too.

I am guessing I could probably sell it for around $2500 complete. It runs and will drive but is not sorted. I put a couple new flowmasters so the neighbors would not have to put up with the open headers. Complete rust free 1970 350 vista with fresh engine aluminum intake, headers and flowmasters, new bench seat, windshield. Things like the nice 1970 fenders are the gold on that car too. VC doors and glass probably has little or no market. It has a light weight ram air hood from body source that attaches at the hinges too. Forgot to mention it is green with a green interior. What do you think

Lee

Last edited by leepear; December 7th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Rob... Oh Rob, are you listening?

Lee, over the years I've owned four 1970-72 Vista Cruisers and even though I'm in a relatively low rust environment they all had rust around the roof glass. If this car is sound around the roof glass it would be a shame to part it out. That said, it's your car to do with as you wish. If you would take $2500 for it whole then create a car for sale thread with lots of pictures. You may get someone in another state willing to purchase it through here when you can't find someone local. I drooled over the 5 speed car ad, but since it had been modified I would have wanted to see it in person before spending money on it. I'd have a higher confidence level purchasing something that hasn't been modified and a car from someone who's been on this board for a while. It sounds like you really don't want to spend the time parting it out. How much time would you have for other things if you didn't part it out? So what would the difference be worth to you? Things to consider. John
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM

The 5 speed vista is a very cool car. After I get some good rubber and rims on the car I am thinking of painting it. Not fancy just to keep it a nice driver. I will of course put the ram air hood that I got with the car on and maybe better grilles.

Thanks for your thoughts. If it was on the other coast the 70 would have already sold because of the dry body and frame. Shipping is just too expensive and it is not really a driver until it gets sorted better. Lee
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Ohhh sooo tempting.
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM

Here are a couple pictures. The five speed gets the luggage rack and it has stock rims now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ebay 001.jpg (57.8 KB, 37 views)
ebay 006.jpg (56.0 KB, 38 views)
ebay 008.jpg (67.3 KB, 38 views)
ebay 002.jpg (68.7 KB, 38 views)