General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 Oldsmobile what ? What is this ?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2023, 10:41 AM

1970 Oldsmobile what ? What is this ?

What is this car ? I don’t know what it really is.

I see an S on the spears and I another one on the front between the grills in the center. I take a look at some stuff online and I see some thing about a s holiday etc

what is this car and can someone tell me a least anything about it because I see about 50 different trims so I don’t know what’s what anymore. I don’t see any trim other than an s and cutlass but that’s it

I see all these packages but I just for some reason I can’t figure out what this car is.

All I know it’s it’s a cutlass in bamboo color. Thanks everyone I hope to gain some info on this car
Old June 29th, 2023, 10:58 AM
Running On Empty

You can post a picture of the VIN & a picture of the cowl tag if you'd like more information....
1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Sedan
Old June 29th, 2023, 10:59 AM

70 Sports Coupe Cutlass with Supreme grilles.
Old June 29th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I think you're right...I have a hard time recalling which is the sedan and which is the sports coupe based up on the pillars.
Old June 29th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Thank you guys

what do you mean by supreme grills ? Because I think I’ve seen pictures of the ad from 1970 in similar car with similar grills ?

what grill is it supposed to have ?
thanks
Old June 29th, 2023, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

The car is an assembly of parts. The shell is a Sports Coupe (2dr post). That body was available as an F85, Cutlass S, or 442 that year. The VIN will tell exactly which it is. The fender emblems say Cutlass S, but the hood is from an F85. The grills are obviously Cutlass Supreme.
Old June 29th, 2023, 11:33 AM
Running On Empty

Cutlass S

Cutlass Supreme
Old June 29th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Actually, it occurs to me that the flat hood was also used on the Supreme. My money is on this car having been crashed at some point in it's life and the Supreme hood, grills, and probably bumper and core support were used to repair it.
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The car is an assembly of parts. The shell is a Sports Coupe (2dr post). That body was available as an F85, Cutlass S, or 442 that year. The VIN will tell exactly which it is. The fender emblems say Cutlass S, but the hood is from an F85. The grills are obviously Cutlass Supreme.

I’m sorry what’s an F 85?

If I post a picture of the Vin tag, will that help? Or does it have to be the Vin number because I don’t mind posting

I’m just trying to learn what this car is because like you say it seems to be a bunch of parts put together. I believe it has a 442 steering wheel. Maybe somebody put it on her whatever but it looks to have the wrong steering wheel that’s correct for a 442 but now you’re telling me the girls are different can somebody tell me what grills is this car supposed to have assuming it’s an S and if it’s an S is it an S holiday?

Also, does this package come with stripes and the spears on the side or do you have to have the stripes with the stripes on the side as well?

Thank you and sorry for the bunch of questions I would just really like more details

I noticed these Oldsmobiles are not like your typical cars with packages and options
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:11 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Purepony
Thank you guys

what do you mean by supreme grills ? Because I think I’ve seen pictures of the ad from 1970 in similar car with similar grills ?

what grill is it supposed to have ?
thanks
A 1970 Sports Coupe (2dr post) is supposed to have 1970 Sports Coupe grilles ONLY if you WANT grilles which were original to the Oldsmobile 1970 Sports Coupe model...your choice.
I suspect you don't own the 1970 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual (CSM)? If you don't, then buy one - it's your bible. If you own the 1970 CSM, the front of the manual will list/demonstrate every Oldsmobile model & series identification number for the 1970 model year (and more, but let's stick to 1970). Look at your VIN plate on the dash...the very first number will be a "3" - this demonstrates the GM Division which manufactured the vehicle. The following numbers (after the "3") demonstrate the model number and year of manufacturer. Post a picture of your VIN we can decipher it for you. Additionally, post a picture of your "cowl tag" (data code plate) located below the LH side of the windshield. It will include items such as interior trim, color, accessories, etc. the car was born with from the factory as it left the assembly. We could go forward in elaborating whether your car has the original engine &/or transmission from the VIN derivative numbers - how about we just stick w/ the VIN and the cowl tag pictures.
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief

Cutlass S

Cutlass Supreme
what’s a cutlass supreme ? Does it look like my body style

is it another car or a trim ?
do they reproduce those grills for sale ?
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:14 PM
Running On Empty

I noticed these Oldsmobiles are not like your typical cars with packages and options
Well, that's not correct. Your car is an A-Body GM vehicle. GM made A-Body vehicles in each of the GM Divisions, e.g. Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet. Each division offered nearly identical packages & options - numbers may be different (many are same) but packages and options are extremely similar among all A-Body motor vehicles.

Old June 29th, 2023, 12:15 PM

Actually, it occurs to me that the flat hood was also used on the Supreme. My money is on this car having been crashed at some point in it's life and the Supreme hood, grills, and probably bumper and core support were used to repair it.

original family since new no accidents and owner passed away in 2008 and gave to son then that son gave to his son and he sold
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

The F85 was the base model in the Oldsmobile A-body line that year. The VIN will tell you exactly what model the car is. There is no such thing as a "442 steering wheel". The four spoke wheel was an available option on just about any Cutlass model that year. It did not come standard on the 442 in any case. Do not think that the cars you see on the interwebs today represent what was actually built in 1970. Today, everyone feels that they MUST have a W30 clone, so that's all you see on line.

Old June 29th, 2023, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

original family since new no accidents and owner passed away in 2008 and gave to son then that son gave to his son and he sold
The car did not come from the factory that way.
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:18 PM

Well, that's not correct. Your car is an A-Body GM vehicle. GM made A-Body vehicles in each of the GM Divisions, e.g. Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet. Each division offered nearly identical packages & options - numbers may be different (many are same) but packages and options are extremely similar among all A-Body motor vehicles.

I think olds has more packages and variations
they have a convertible
a post car
a no post car
A Sportback style
a non Sportback style
that to me is not similar to let’s say a camaro or a challenger which is what I have but anyway I’m just trying to learn
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

I think olds has more packages and variations
The page from the 1970 dealer brochure that I posted above shows you EXACTLY what body styles and models were offered for the 1970 model year.
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:21 PM

The car did not come from the factory that way.

OK OK I agree with that

How do I know if I have an S holiday or Anais sports coupe? I noticed that the hood is different on mine than the one that was posted abover ( green car ad)

I also believe it’s the original finish on the car because when I wax the car and I look at the rag, the paint color starts coming off on the rag, so it appears to be a single stage paint

this cara driving me crazy !!
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:22 PM
Running On Empty

Here's a good read on the history of the Oldsmobile F-85 series. You'll eventually come along & figure it all out. The F-85 series is a tad peculiar in the evolution of it's body style...dig in, you'll figure it out.
BTW, I guess you own this 1970? It's a good looking car. Listen, lots of folks are keen to point out what it is and what it is not in terms of factory OEM parts, the car looks good, everyone here is very willing to help you understand EXACTLY what you have - have faith in them all, you'll learn tons of information. Did I mention to you to purchase the CSM?
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:22 PM

OK OK I agree with that

How do I know if I have an S holiday or Anais sports coupe? I noticed that the hood is different on mine than the one that was posted abover ( green car ad)

I also believe it’s the original finish on the car because when I wax the car and I look at the rag, the paint color starts coming off on the rag, so it appears to be a single stage paint

the vin is 336770z13****
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:23 PM
Running On Empty

OK OK I agree with that

I'll mention this now the third time (or more) - post a picture of the VIN and a picture of the cowl tag.
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:24 PM
Running On Empty

Brilliance on my part I forgot to give you the URL Link...

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2022/...obile-cutlass/
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK OK I agree with that

My apologies, Now that I've taken a closer look at the photos of your car, it DOES have the "double hump" hood used on the Cutlass S. My previous F85 comment was incorrect. As I've said a couple of times now, the VIN will tell you EXACTLY what this car is. There's no fuzz on that and it isn't open to opinions. From what I can see the VIN will be 336770Mxxxxxx, which designates a Cutlass S V8 Sport Coupe. If the car was originally a six cylinder car the VIN will be 335770Mxxxxxx. The cowl tag will provide more info on the original paint color, interior trim, and build date.
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:26 PM

I'll mention this now the third time (or more) - post a picture of the VIN and a picture of the cowl tag.

Old June 29th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Running On Empty

Here's what a cowl tag looks like. Also, a link to a 1972 Cutlass S on this site...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...coding-157623/

Old June 29th, 2023, 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1507886]My apologies, Now that I've taken a closer look at the photos of your car, it DOES have the "double hump" hood used on the Cutlass S. My previous F85 comment was incorrect. As I've said a couple of times now, the VIN will tell you EXACTLY what this car is. There's no fuzz on that and it isn't open to opinions. From what I can see the VIN will be 336770Mxxxxxx, which designates a Cutlass S V8 Sport Coupe. If the car was originally a six cylinder car the VIN will be 335770Mxxxxxx. The cowl tag will provide more info on the original paint color, interior trim, and build date.[/QUOT

you are the expert it is 3700 except it has a Z instead of an M though
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Running On Empty

you are the expert it is 3700 except it has a Z instead of an M though
Fremont born vehicle = "Z" - not Lansing = "M"
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

The VIN would also help, since the cowl tag isn't the VIN. In any case, this shows a Cutlass S Sport Coupe built at the Fremont, CA plant. That means that your VIN should be 336770Zxxxxxx.
Trim code 944 is a gold bench seat interior.
Paint code 50 50 is Bamboo lower and upper body colors, so the repaint appears to be done in the original color.
06B build date is the second week of June, 1970
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:35 PM
Running On Empty

Buy this manual today. It is the absolute BIBLE for your car (is this your car?). Buy an original used OEM 1970 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual (CSM). Digital editions are junk, there are no "new" manuals. Buy an original. They sell between $25 - $75 on eBay and other sites.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30487754158...6K_gDRmS-E98W0
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:42 PM
Running On Empty

The second best product manual for your car is called the Product Information Manual (PIM) often referred to as the Factory Assembly Manual (FAM). It has images, diagrams and notations demonstrating how your car was put together at the factory.

1970 Oldsmobile A-Body PIM
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:43 PM

The VIN would also help, since the cowl tag isn't the VIN. In any case, this shows a Cutlass S Sport Coupe built at the Fremont, CA plant. That means that your VIN should be 336770Zxxxxxx.
Trim code 944 is a gold bench seat interior.
Paint code 50 50 is Bamboo lower and upper body colors, so the repaint appears to be done in the original color.
06B build date is the second week of June, 1970

thank you very much for that that is very helpful so it seems to me like this was just a basic car that they swapped grills and Stuff on ?

It does have the bench seat it does have the I believe the paint I was told was the original

Old June 29th, 2023, 12:45 PM

The second best product manual for your car is called the Product Information Manual (PIM) often referred to as the Factory Assembly Manual (FAM). It has images, diagrams and notations demonstrating how your car was put together at the factory.

1970 Oldsmobile A-Body PIM
You’re right about that PIM manual that thing looks like a must have.

I was told the car is the original mileage 85,000 miles it’s really a strange car to me it’s very mystifying because it’s not what I’m used to. I’m not even really sold on that front grill yet at whole assembly. I guess I’m just stuck on the Chevelle look, but with Chevelle prices being the way they are this is a great candidate, but still not a Chevelle. I think that’s what’s making it harder to accept that front end.
Old June 29th, 2023, 12:54 PM

The F85 was the base model in the Oldsmobile A-body line that year. The VIN will tell you exactly what model the car is. There is no such thing as a "442 steering wheel". The four spoke wheel was an available option on just about any Cutlass model that year. It did not come standard on the 442 in any case. Do not think that the cars you see on the interwebs today represent what was actually built in 1970. Today, everyone feels that they MUST have a W30 clone, so that's all you see on line.

yeah, I noticed that too. Apparently every car out there is a 442W something cologne and even if I drive the car out people come up to me and asked me is it a 442?

I mean, the car doesn’t have emblems, but it does say Cutlass S obviously if it’s an s it’s not a 442?!

I keep getting the car shows all the time asking me if it’s a 442

But anyway, I would be inclined to keep it for what it is since you don’t see a lot of these lower trim vehicles out there every car show you go to has nothing but Z 28 or SS is it seems that all the super sports the Z 2 eights cars all survived and all the basic models were crashed, never existed or stolen all of a sudden
Old June 29th, 2023, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
the end
Old June 29th, 2023, 01:34 PM

Those are definitely Cutlass Supreme grills, however that appears to be the correct double hump hood for Cutlass S with vents near the windshield. The Cutlass Supreme hood is flat with a chrome hood spear down the center.
Old June 29th, 2023, 01:52 PM

this is a great candidate, but still not a Chevelle.
Take that as a GOOD thing.
Old June 29th, 2023, 01:55 PM

this is a great candidate, but still not a Chevelle.
Take that as a GOOD thing.
I had friends in school with 70-ish Chevelles and they were definitely not as nice as my 1970 Cutlass Supreme.
Old June 29th, 2023, 02:38 PM

Its not unusual for the Cutlass S grilles to get replaced with the Cutlass Supreme grilles if the originals were broken in a parking lot bump. The S grilles ran out of stock way before the Supreme grilles did. So if one or both got broken, people just replaced them with the Supreme grilles.
All the grilles are now available in reproductions($339 for both sides)

This is a very good place to get reproduction parts

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/

There are other places too, but this one isnt known for not shipping the right stuff.

Old June 29th, 2023, 02:52 PM

Sounds like whatever mystery has already been sorted out, but what I would add is that what you have appears to be a very nice car! Enjoy it, and show us more photos. I would love to see the interior and engine. It looks like a fun cruiser.
Old June 29th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Its not unusual for the Cutlass S grilles to get replaced with the Cutlass Supreme grilles if the originals were broken in a parking lot bump. The S grilles ran out of stock way before the Supreme grilles did. So if one or both got broken, people just replaced them with the Supreme grilles.
All the grilles are now available in reproductions($339 for both sides)

This is a very good place to get reproduction parts

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/

There are other places too, but this one isnt known for not shipping the right stuff.

thank you for the link. I think I like the supreme grill better lol this is too many options for me.

but it makes sense

Quick Reply: 1970 Oldsmobile what ? What is this ?