General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 Olds Rallye 350

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2019, 05:47 AM

Exclamation 1970 Olds Rallye 350

hello QUESTION? what does this do and where does the 2 air hoses go?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6497.JPG (2.51 MB, 35 views)
Old October 12th, 2019, 06:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

You know, if you're going to work on this car, you REALLY should get a factory Chassis Service Manual and read it...

That is a vacuum reservoir. The flapper doors in your HVAC system are vacuum operated. That reservoir serves to maintain enough vacuum to operate the HVAC system when manifold vacuum drops during wide open throttle. The CSM has the vacuum hose diagram.
Old October 12th, 2019, 07:18 AM

One hose goes through the FW to the HVAC system, the other (should) goes to manifold vac port.
Old October 12th, 2019, 07:44 AM

No need to put the caution icon on all your posts.
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
One hose goes through the FW to the HVAC system, the other (should) goes to manifold vac port.
And it matters which one is which, since one of the ports has a check valve built in.
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:20 AM

Joe Padavano, I did get 4 volumes, but I rather hear it from You guys that have experience.

One of the tubes goes through the fire wall and I have no idea what Service manual is telling me the other one goes too?
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Koda, will try to refrain myself from clicking CAUTION Icon next time.
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hondo
Joe Padavano, I did get 4 volumes, but I rather hear it from You guys that have experience.

One of the tubes goes through the fire wall and I have no idea what Service manual is telling me the other one goes too?
Well, open that CSM to page 1C-13 and look at Figure 1C-23 at the top of the page. It shows you EXACTLY where every hose connects to.
Old October 12th, 2019, 09:48 AM

1970 Olds Rallye 350 vacuum

Okay I bought 6 Feet and probably need more tubing, installed what the diagram shows but still not sure if I got the right ones in the right connections. Which diagram is for the Big Cowl injection with AC?
thank you
Attached Images
AC Vacumm lines.jpg (257.5 KB, 26 views)
AC Vacumm lines002.jpg (363.6 KB, 22 views)
AC Vacumm lines003.jpg (235.5 KB, 18 views)
AC Vacuum Line.jpg (246.2 KB, 17 views)
AC Vacuum Line003.jpg (260.4 KB, 16 views)
AC Vacumm lines004.jpg (209.8 KB, 14 views)
Old October 13th, 2019, 06:03 AM

the picture you refered too

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, open that CSM to page 1C-13 and look at Figure 1C-23 at the top of the page. It shows you EXACTLY where every hose connects to.
Joe Padovano, I looked at the picture you are referring too, is the first one I posted and doesn't show where and what its connected too. its just hanging there with no connection or name..... or I'm looking at the wrong picture?

I know another member said in the Intake manifold but where? the one in front of the carburetor is already taken.
Old October 13th, 2019, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Vacuum operated accessories connect to manifold vacuum. ANY port on an intake runner is the same manifold vacuum. Unless you are performing a 1000 point restoration, it doesn't matter. Just pick a port on an intake runner. The square item at the end of the hose in the first diagram you posted is one of the brass fittings shown on the left in this photo. It screws into one of the many ports on the intake. Pick one.

Old October 13th, 2019, 08:12 AM

Thumbs up Joe I think i found the last port?

Vacuum operated accessories connect to manifold vacuum. ANY port on an intake runner is the same manifold vacuum. Unless you are performing a 1000 point restoration, it doesn't matter. Just pick a port on an intake runner. The square item at the end of the hose in the first diagram you posted is one of the brass fittings shown on the left in this photo. It screws into one of the many ports on the intake. Pick one.

Joe can it go here? in the picture its in the back of carb? thank you for your help, the last time i had this car was when i was 19.
Attached Images
AC Vacuum Line006.jpg (204.4 KB, 29 views)
Old October 13th, 2019, 08:33 AM

Hondo, Joe will know for sure, but that high on the carb, it looks like that is ported vacuum.

Ported vacuum is vacuum that is there only when the throttle blades are open, because it is "above" the throttle blades. So, you don't get it at idle.

Manifold vacuum is below the throttle blades, and you have it when the engine is on. For HVAC you want manifold vacuum. I think that is an extra little T on ported vacuum that doesn't look stock.

You are looking for a bolt plug on the intake manifold's runners for a source of manifold vacuum.
Old October 13th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

That isn't a vacuum port at all, it's a vent port for the TCS. Come on guys, I can see the correct square brass fitting down on the intake runner in that photo.
Old October 13th, 2019, 11:55 AM

Joe should I add a T and put it on the Intake runner you can see it the photo?

thank you
Old October 13th, 2019, 02:38 PM

That would work, but I think that fitting is a dedicated port for the vacuum reservoir per the manual. Where does the hose that's currently on it go?
Old October 13th, 2019, 04:48 PM

Cool Hi Kenneth

Originally Posted by Fun71
That would work, but I think that fitting is a dedicated port for the vacuum reservoir per the manual. Where does the hose that's currently on it go?
Kenneth, i just took 3 pictures

first one shows the top tubing goes into a metal tubing and goes right into intake.

second picture goes to a T and goes to Air filter metal and the big cowl

third goes to metal tubing and then changes to rubber hose and goes to diaphragm with BIG resister.
Attached Images
AC Vacuum Line007.jpg (206.3 KB, 87 views)
AC Vacuum Line008.jpg (244.0 KB, 23 views)
AC Vacuum Line009.jpg (53.1 KB, 23 views)
Old October 13th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Your intake should have THREE vacuum taps on that rear runner between the distributor and the carb. See the attached photo.

Old October 13th, 2019, 05:34 PM

Thumbs up Joe thank you

Your intake should have THREE vacuum taps on that rear runner between the distributor and the carb. See the attached photo.

I will check it out the second I get home.....

Grazie
Old October 14th, 2019, 02:44 PM

Smile Joe Question..

JOE, this is what I got? If you see a Mistake Please Correct me. the Vacuum Reservoir still not hooked up because I dont know which other one I have to T too?
Attached Images
AC Vacuum Line013.jpg (105.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Hondo; October 14th, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old October 14th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

JOE, this is what I got? If you see a Mistake Please Correct me. the Vacuum Reservoir still not hooked up because I dont know which other one I have to T too?
And THAT'S your problem. The hose from the rear of the TCS solenoid does not run to the vacuum tap on the intake runner. It runs to that open port at the top rear of the carb. This is why you don't have the vacuum port you need for the HVAC. The diagram on page 6C-19 in the CSM tells you that port from the TCS solenoid connects to "Vent Port On Carburetor Air Horn".

Old October 14th, 2019, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up

Joe,

so I also need to add a T to the Air Filter Housing and The Flapper? and also just re-route TCS to the top of carburetor like you said please check the picture I posted? Correct?

Im sorry but just want to get it right. all these tubes were already installed and missing when I purchased the Olds..

Thank you JOE for tolerating me..
Attached Images
AC Vacuum Line014.jpg (179.5 KB, 403 views)
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Leave the hoses to the air filter housing and O.A.I. adapter alone.

Disconnect the TCS solenoid hose from the intake fitting and connect it here:

That leaves an unused fitting on the intake runner. Use THAT unused fitting to operate the vacuum ball.

Done.
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Running On Empty

I really don't want to throw a wrench into this - but I will anyways.

Isn't that "port" at the top back of the carburetor not even ported vacuum? IMO, that "port" is nothing more than the port which pulls off clean/filtered air from the "top-side" of the carburetor (via/from the stove choke/vacuum assembly). The "port" gains it's air not from the air horn itself, (below the air horn plates) but instead via the cut-out chamber at the top center of the carburetor. It's nothing more than filtered air ("if" the air cleaner is installed). I might be incorrect about this, but isn't there supposed to be two ports on the back of this carburetor? They are rather close together; yet, one is lower (ported vacuum) and the other (as shown in this picture) is higher (filtered air)? Is this the correct carburetor for a sbo equipped with a TCS?
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Running On Empty

I've labelled the ported vacuum source which resides next to the filtered air source in the diagram below. The TCS should be attached to the ported vacuum source and not the filtered air source. I have two ports on my carburetor - one is ported vacuum and one is a filtered air source as designed by the location of each port.

Old October 14th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I really don't want to throw a wrench into this - but I will anyways.

Isn't that "port" at the top back of the carburetor not even ported vacuum? IMO, that "port" is nothing more than the port which pulls off clean/filtered air from the "top-side" of the carburetor (via/from the stove choke/vacuum assembly). The "port" gains it's air not from the air horn itself, (below the air horn plates) but instead via the cut-out chamber at the top center of the carburetor. It's nothing more than filtered air ("if" the air cleaner is installed). I might be incorrect about this, but isn't there supposed to be two ports on the back of this carburetor? They are rather close together; yet, one is lower (ported vacuum) and the other (as shown in this picture) is higher (filtered air)? Is this the correct carburetor for a sbo equipped with a TCS?
The port at the top rear of the carb air horn is a VENT. It is NOT a vacuum port. The choke uses this port to draw filtered air to be heated and eventually sucked into the carb past the choke coil.

The TCS solenoid ALSO uses this port to draw filtered air into the solenoid. When the TCS is active in the lower gears, the vacuum in the distributor can must be vented with filtered ambient air. This is that source. When the solenoid is energized, the vacuum advance can is connected directly to this vent port, which is ambient air pressure. THIS is how the vacuum advance is disabled in the lower gears.

Ported vacuum enters the OTHER end of the TCS solenoid. The source for that is on the front of the carb. When the solenoid is deactivated in high gear, the port to the carb air horn vent is closed and the port to the carb ported vacuum source is connected to the vacuum advance can. Again, all this is shown in the CSM.

And yes, this is EXACTLY the correct carb for a TCS application.
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I've labelled the ported vacuum source which resides next to the filtered air source in the diagram below. The TCS should be attached to the ported vacuum source and not the filtered air source. I have two ports on my carburetor - one is ported vacuum and one is a filtered air source as designed by the location of each port.
And your carb is not from a 1970, is it? In 1970, TCS was a last minute bandaid, so Olds used the single hole at the top rear of the air horn and scabbed on a tee fitting. In subsequent years the air horn was modified to provide two ports. You'll note that in subsequent years the TCS solenoid and the TVS were incorporated into a single housing. In 1970 they were not.
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Running On Empty

Ah, darn right - thanks for the clarification, Joe. Exactly, there's another correctly located port on the front of my carburetor for that bloody TCS. Thanks again. I was thinking that TCS ported vacuum was at that location. Since I have mine disconnected, I forgot I also capped the port on the front side of the carburetor.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 14th, 2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old October 14th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Running On Empty

And your carb is not from a 1970, is it? In 1970, TCS was a last minute bandaid, so Olds used the single hole at the top rear of the air horn and scabbed on a tee fitting. In subsequent years the air horn was modified to provide two ports. You'll note that in subsequent years the TCS solenoid and the TVS were incorporated into a single housing. In 1970 they were not.
You are absolutely correct. My carburetor is NOT a 1970 but instead a 1971. I will say this, between 1970 and 1972 it's bloody well tough figuring out the vacuum routing and the carburetors they used on these vehicles.
Old October 14th, 2019, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up Okay Joe Grazie and Thank You

Leave the hoses to the air filter housing and O.A.I. adapter alone.

Disconnect the TCS solenoid hose from the intake fitting and connect it here:

That leaves an unused fitting on the intake runner. Use THAT unused fitting to operate the vacuum ball.

Done.
I hope this is my last drawing,..LOL

Please make sure its Correct Joe Padavano.. Thank you again.
Attached Images
AC Vacuum Line015.jpg (87.5 KB, 14 views)
Old October 15th, 2019, 03:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

I hope this is my last drawing,..LOL

Please make sure its Correct Joe Padavano.. Thank you again.
Yes, that's it.
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:24 AM

Joe Padavano, I don't care what they say about you!!!!!.. To me your the BEST ..

THANK YOU finally GOT it.. It better run when I start it.. LOL
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Be aware that the way it was connected previously, you would have had full manifold vacuum in first and second then ported vacuum in high gear. When you change to the factory hose routing, you'll get no vacuum advance in first and second if the TCS is working properly. This may require you to change the initial timing and/or the idle speed to get proper idle. Now the factory specified initial timing setting should be the right starting point, however.
Old October 15th, 2019, 06:58 AM
delete

Koda, will try to refrain myself from clicking CAUTION Icon next time.
Also, helpful hint (not being sarcastic) for your title thread give a couple word blurb about the issue you are asking about.
Old October 15th, 2019, 05:40 PM

Joe,

I tried tagging you,,,, I Have a question on Back up lights,,, its at ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Electrical.