General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1967 Olds Cutlass 4 Door Sedan B07 B09 (442) "Police Apprhender" option... RARE?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Octania
Disk brakes are EXCEEDINGLY rare for 1967. Must be the uber-rare 4 piston calipers.
To be more specific, Chris, there were approx 4400 A-bodies that got disc brakes. That was about 1.75%. The 4 piston units are becoming more obtainable as the Chevy guys are repopping them.
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM

I just picked up a 1967 Cutlass 4 door, 99% rust free (California Car) This would make a good donor car for oldsmosteel's find, that's if he buys the car. Will post pictures later.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
That's a 10-bolt as it should be.

Does it have a smog pump and/or the plugs in the heads?
did not see a smog pump... yes the heads have spark plugs threads. took some extra pics of the car & bought it today.

thanks to everyone for all the helpful info on the car. when i drag it home i'll take more pics & keep everyone posted. took these today when i picked up the pink. pics of cylinder head, 390390 D1 stamped on intake manifold, # on exhaust & passenger side view of trans. thanks again for all the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Car1A.jpg (67.2 KB, 95 views)
Car7A.jpg (74.2 KB, 84 views)
Car7E.jpg (90.6 KB, 80 views)
Car7C.jpg (74.9 KB, 86 views)
Car8B.jpg (63.5 KB, 96 views)
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 65B01Delta
I just picked up a 1967 Cutlass 4 door, 99% rust free (California Car) This would make a good donor car for oldsmosteel's find, that's if he buys the car. Will post pictures later.
pm'd you
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:51 PM

What does the "pink" show for first registered, does it show anything for prior state titled?

That's a turbo 400 - these are the "plugs" in the heads that would have smog tubes attached to if it was originally a CA vehicle.
Attached Images
c-heads w-smog plugs.jpg (73.2 KB, 64 views)
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
What does the "pink" show for first registered, does it show anything for prior state titled?

That's a turbo 400 - these are the "plugs" in the heads that would have smog tubes attached to if it was originally a CA vehicle.
almost positive there were no plugs like that... but im not 100%. can't really tell from this other pic of the cylinder head. as far as pink goes... dated 05/14/69. nothing about being an out of state vehicle. heres a copy
Attached Images
Car7B.jpg (92.8 KB, 57 views)
Title2.jpg (56.4 KB, 69 views)
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:46 PM

From what I've seen - no smog-pump = not sold new in CA
5/14/69 would be the first issue of title in CA

If it had a prior CA title the 00/00/67 would've had the original sold/registered date.

It was probably sold at a municipal auction in AZ, NV, or other nearby locale during 5/69. Look for any painted "unit" numbers or tags in the door jambs under hood or trunk. What's the tag on the passenger inner fender.

COOL FIND!!
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:50 PM

head pic - modified
Attached Images
Car7Bm.jpg (184.8 KB, 63 views)
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Also, note the location of the transmission model number tag in your picture.

The correct number will help to prove that the 442 400 was the original engine (442 experts will know exactly which one that is for this year).

- Eric
Attached Images
TH400 Tag Location.jpg (147.9 KB, 283 views)
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by oldsmosteel
did not see a smog pump... yes the heads have spark plugs threads. took some extra pics of the car & bought it today.

thanks to everyone for all the helpful info on the car. when i drag it home i'll take more pics & keep everyone posted. took these today when i picked up the pink. pics of cylinder head, 390390 D1 stamped on intake manifold, # on exhaust & passenger side view of trans. thanks again for all the help
YES! Congrats on buying the car

Ted
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:53 AM

Awesome!
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Great score on the car, sir. Wipe that trans tag off gently with say WD40 and let's see what ye got there. I will be proud to assist in any parts that you may need that I can provide. Carb, stuff like that. I see you have PIT FREE exhaust manifolds. NICE....
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Congrats! glad that you got it. Just curious, would a vehicle like a Police car still have to meet CA. emission standards in that time period?
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Gov't vehicles were "smog exempt" but I believe they still would've been purchsed with the required in CA equipment intact. The full size CHP car in the Hemmings article has a smog pump.

If they were not in compliance, then all the used fleet vehicles would need to be sold out of state.
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Also, note the location of the transmission model number tag in your picture.

The correct number will help to prove that the 442 400 was the original engine (442 experts will know exactly which one that is for this year).

- Eric
gunna go back to day to load some parts in the truck. will take a better look at those heads & peep the #'s on the trans. thanks for the info.
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:17 AM

Great score on the car, sir. Wipe that trans tag off gently with say WD40 and let's see what ye got there. I will be proud to assist in any parts that you may need that I can provide. Carb, stuff like that. I see you have PIT FREE exhaust manifolds. NICE....
thanks i'll let you know... have carb, air cleaner most engine parts, motor will need a complete rebuild. cars definitely gunna be needing some things... mostly interior, the whole back seat is missing.
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:23 AM

i know this question has probably been asked a million times but where can i find good quality NEW replacement parts for this beast... engine rebuild components, differential bearings, carpet, rubber seals, sheet metal?

any recommendations on a good reputable oldsmobile motor rebuilding shop in Southern Ca?

as always thank you
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:46 AM

thanks i'll let you know... have carb, air cleaner most engine parts, motor will need a complete rebuild. cars definitely gunna be needing some things... mostly interior, the whole back seat is missing.
Please post some ABC* photos of this AIR CLEANER - would love to know what unit they used! Hi-res, well lit, and on MACRO setting for the close shots please.

*A = primary overall photo
B= backside or bottom
C= Close shots - the inked on PN and 2-letter code would be most relevant for this. Width and height of the snout at each end is probably a differing detail also. See other thread on '69 442 air cleaner details.
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM

1967 Cutlass Donor

oldsmosteel, I picked up this 1967 Cutlass (Ex California Car) other day & it would be a perfect donor body for you. That's if your car does not have the post. To think about it since your car was a former Police Car it probably has the post. Anyway, I plan on parting this car out since the 330 4bbl engine is locked up, unless I get a wild hair & drop this 455 in it that I have sitting on my garage floor... This car is solid, except around the windows. I really hate to part it. Here's a few pictures. Too bad my car is located in Indiana...
Attached Images
1967 Cutlass (11).JPG (137.9 KB, 74 views)
DSC01517.jpg (86.7 KB, 74 views)
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:46 PM

Please post some ABC* photos of this AIR CLEANER - would love to know what unit they used! Hi-res, well lit, and on MACRO setting for the close shots please.

*A = primary overall photo
B= backside or bottom
C= Close shots - the inked on PN and 2-letter code would be most relevant for this. Width and height of the snout at each end is probably a differing detail also. See other thread on '69 442 air cleaner details.
will do. i'll take your ABC pics when i bring her home right now the air cleaner is still w/ the car. i will be picking it up on friday... cant wait! i requested a cellphone shot of the air cleaner today & this is what it looks like... looks pretty plain jane considering all the other goodies this car has... owner swears its the original
Attached Images
AirCleaner.jpg (26.1 KB, 71 views)
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:01 PM

that looks like a very original car 65B01.. ill pm you when i put my list together. i know ill be needing a rear seat & some interior pieces for sure.
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Sounds good.
Old February 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Bucket seats

mostly interior, the whole back seat is missing.[/QUOTE]

I have black bucket seats(needs tracks) and covers, not sure what you are planning to do for front seats
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Any more pictures/updates ?
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM

will do. i'll take your ABC pics when i bring her home right now the air cleaner is still w/ the car. i will be picking it up on friday... cant wait! i requested a cellphone shot of the air cleaner today & this is what it looks like... looks pretty plain jane considering all the other goodies this car has... owner swears its the original
I'm not sure what that air cleaner is (yet), but that is not a '67 Olds air cleaner of any type.
The L77 400 with the auto trans would come with the same chrome air cleaner as the 442, except the label would be a Highway Patrol label affixed directly to the housing, not a pie tin. (Stick L77s came with the same open element air cleaner as the 442 with the HP label similarly affixed without the tin.)
I would not be deterred by that black air cleaner. That is the first "negative" I've observed here, and it is a very minor thing in a sea of "positives". Air cleaners are not a fixed item. And I'd give some latitude to the original owners memory. Memories are subject to flaws. Even without someone outright lying.
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM

oldsmosteel, I never received your PM. Also is your brother in-law going to get the car, or are you keeping it ?
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I don't know if it is the counting or multiplication that is the problem, but that is a 10 bolt P-type rear, and *that* is what it should be. And it is most likely housing a 4-pinnion carrier. The vast majority of the performance rears in '67 were the P-type including the W30s. They had problems with the performance gears in the new O-type 12/10 bolt rear that they didn't get sorted out until the '68 model year.
My experience with 8.2 posi rears is,only the 3.55 and lower geared cars had the 4 pin posi. The higher geared units had a two pin posi. This is not gospel,only my experience.
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
My experience with 8.2 posi rears is,only the 3.55 and lower geared cars had the 4 pin posi. The higher geared units had a two pin posi. This is not gospel,only my experience.
That is the gospel. Only the series III (3.55 and lower) has them. Documentation of the 4-pinion carrier is sketchy. So I don't know how far back they go with Olds. Apparently into the '66 model year. And I also don't know if all series III Anti Spin were 4-pinion, or was their a mix of 2 pinion and 4-pinion.
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:20 AM

That is the gospel. Only the series III (3.55 and lower) has them. Documentation of the 4-pinion carrier is sketchy. So I don't know how far back they go with Olds. Apparently into the '66 model year. And I also don't know if all series III Anti Spin were 4-pinion, or was their a mix of 2 pinion and 4-pinion.

I had a very late 66 442 3 X 2 07E build that had a 3.90 posi with a 4 pin carrier. That's the only 66 I personally has seen or heard of that had a 4 pin carrier.
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1970supremevert
mostly interior, the whole back seat is missing.
I have black bucket seats(needs tracks) and covers, not sure what you are planning to do for front seats[/QUOTE]

i'm gunna try to preserve this car as close to stock as possible. i'll stick w/ the factory bench for now. thanks anyway

65b01: no updates yet, i'll be bringing her hm on friday. my uncle decided to pass on the car. i was glad he did so i'll be taking on the resto myself. ill keep you updated. pm'd you on sat. maybe i'm doing somehtin wrong. either way i won't know what i need til i get her home.
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:57 AM

I'm not sure what that air cleaner is (yet), but that is not a '67 Olds air cleaner of any type.
The L77 400 with the auto trans would come with the same chrome air cleaner as the 442, except the label would be a Highway Patrol label affixed directly to the housing, not a pie tin. (Stick L77s came with the same open element air cleaner as the 442 with the HP label similarly affixed without the tin.)
I would not be deterred by that black air cleaner. That is the first "negative" I've observed here, and it is a very minor thing in a sea of "positives". Air cleaners are not a fixed item. And I'd give some latitude to the original owners memory. Memories are subject to flaws. Even without someone outright lying.
good to know. i'll have her home friday & will take more pics of the car for ya. i'd like to drop the tank & hopefully find a build sheet to verify authenticity... maybe i'll get lucky & find the 1st build sheet from a Lansing built car.
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM

i'll be bringing her hm on friday. my uncle decided to pass on the car. i was glad he did so i'll be taking on the resto myself.
Cool you ended up with it. Here is a link to my build on a 67 442. Maybe you can find some useful info there Good Luck with yours. We would love to follow the progress !!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-trac-pac.html
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:43 PM

I found build sheets on top of gas tanks on (2) 1965 Starfires. Good Luck.
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Cool you ended up with it. Here is a link to my build on a 67 442. Maybe you can find some useful info there Good Luck with yours. We would love to follow the progress !!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-trac-pac.html
wow! diggin the progress pics. your car was solid. nice find. mine is a bit more beaten up rotted floors & rust beneath windshield. can't wait to get started!
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:16 PM

brought home a few boxes of misc engine parts today... heads, intake, exhaust, 4 barrel quadrajet carb, brackets & bolts. proud to say she's a 49 stater. no smog equip, no plugs on heads... & found a dealer name plate on the rear trunk lid... looks original. "Ahrens Madison" googled it, an olds dealer in Madison Wisc. i've been trying to decode the Rochester Quadrajet Carb to find out if its the original or not. i'm having the darndest time! there are no numbers on the side plate drivers side... (see 1st pic of carb) only on the back. there is a BP with 7044618 inside of a circle. my buddy who used to work at a carb rebuiling place told me that the 70448618 is the part number for the float. is this true? there is also a faint BP 269385 number back there but thats all i could find. here are some pics... any ideas?
Attached Images
NamePlate.jpg (23.8 KB, 51 views)
Car7F2.jpg (72.0 KB, 47 views)
Car7F3.jpg (64.4 KB, 46 views)
Car7F4.jpg (62.4 KB, 46 views)
Car7F5.jpg (62.2 KB, 45 views)
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:56 AM

None of the picts show carb number which is the number on the round circle tag. That is the carb number and the one you use to get the proper rebuild kit.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

On a true '66 or '67 carb you want the number on the round embossed tag on the front left side, shown here:

- Eric
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
On a true '66 or '67 carb you want the number on the round embossed tag on the front left side, shown here:

- Eric
after thoroughly checking the carb... i can say for a fact that i don't have a plate like that. i don't see a date code anywhere on it. there are faint little "BP" numbers on some of the parts that i can see but no date code stamped on the outside. is there any other way i can get a carb kit?
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Look on this vertical "rib"
Attached Images
carbnum1.jpg (26.5 KB, 32 views)
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:56 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

If you dont have the round tag pictured above you may have a (later) replacement carb or a unit that someone simply tossed in a box to go along with the car. Hopefully its a Q-jet and not an earlier 4G. Look for a 170xxxxx or a 70xxxxx number. The number will be vertical to the right of the "T" in QuardaJet in the pictures MD provided.
Google "how to identify Rochester quadra-jets"
Then Google Quadra-Jet rebuilding services. There are several reputable Q-Jet rebuild shops around the country that will provide you with a high quality rebuild on that carb or you can purchase one already to go. The rebuild shops will fix any short comings associated with the carb (leaking welch plugs...idle circuit up dates etc).
If you do attempt to DYI get the two Q-jet bibles. Cliff Ruggel is a great one and Doug Roe the other.
Furthermore do your self a favor if you DIY get a kit from one of these shops. They are higher quality (read not likely offshore) and the accelerator pump cup will be the latest and greatest material to survive on the crap they call gas at the pumps today. Also the adjustments in the books may not be accurate. Today's gas requires slight tweaks to be happy on the ethanol. Example:The float setting needs to be lower then yesterdays spec. to prevent boil over peculation into the idle ports etc...Cant hurt to put a 1" insulator/heat isolator under it before installation onto the intake too.

Kurt types faster then I. The arrow points to the spot.

Quick Reply: 1967 Olds Cutlass 4 Door Sedan B07 B09 (442) "Police Apprhender" option... RARE?