General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1966 Cutlass Turn Signal Switch

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2023, 05:43 PM

1966 Cutlass Turn Signal Switch

Hi to all,
I'm new and have joined specifically to help a friend get his turn signals working properly. And although this is definitely NOT a 1966 Olds Cutlass w/tilt steering wheel (it's a 1951 Ford woodie), evidently the steering column and turn signal switch ARE from that car. The column looks virtually the same as the column discussed in the following: Linked Thread posted on this forum from last year. Anyway, I'm thinking I need to replace the switch mounted on the base of the column on the left side as after cleaning it up, I can make it activate the left turn signal, but the switch doesn't follow cable back to the center position (or the right turn position either) when the lever is manually moved back to center position. Everything I've seen so far references an original GM part number of GM 1993624 or a Delco number D6220, which was also used in some Lincolns of similar vintage. But here's the question. While mine looks identical to that part on the terminal (outboard) side of the switch, the inboard side looks a bit different. The new switch has a spring mounted on it, where my original does not. Looks like it MIGHT work and do what I want it to do, but certainly does not look exactly the same. I will try to display some pictures here for reference:

The above photo is the INBOARD side (column-mount side)of the original switch. Although the cable is not connected to the slider in the photo and the slider is not very visible in the photo either, there IS an internal slider pulled by the cable that moves between left, center (off) and right.

This is the potential replacement switch. Note the spring and sliding return mechanism

This is the potential new switch looking at the terminal side. It looks virtually the same as my original.

Is anyone familiar with the two types? Has my original switch been e-designed to use the potential replacement version? I kind of hope it is as it's the only one I'm seeing currently available.

Thank you in advance for your help.