General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1956 Super 88 - Project Assessment

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:03 AM

1956 Super 88 - Project Assessment

Recently I drug home a 56 Super 88 2 door HT with the intentions of parting it out but a plan to restore it to road condition has started to ferment.
Whether I choose to bring it back to original condition or resto mod it the amount of work to save the body and interior is massive. Having done this type of work on previous projects I am not blind to the challenges but the thought of completely killing this car is making me lose some sleep. Not much but some.
The body has issues that would need to be addressed first. These include:
A1. Inside left panel in trunk from wheel well back needs to be replaced.
A2. Driver side door has severe rot on inside panel.
A3. Floor from toe panel to the cross support needs replacement.
A4. Door and window mechanisms (frnt & rear) need rework/replacement.
A5. Trunk lid needs replacement.
A6. Rear bumper pulled out in middle
A7. Front and rear bumpers need minor rot repairs and rechroming.
A8. Most exterior side stainless is on hand but some pcs are MIA.
A9. All glass needs replacement

The interior will also present challenges. These include:
B1. Door panels are history. I do have the stainless trim pcs though.
B2. Rear seat side panels also missing. Have stainless for one side.
B3. Front and rear seat assemblies require complete rebuild.
B4. Replacement required of all rubber weather stripping.
B5. Padded dash requires replacement.

The original motor and Jetaway are in place but condition is unknown. From what I have read I do not think the Jetaway transmission will be used on the build either way. The 324 would be unique but would need to be broken down for assessment and rebuild. Has anyone fuel injected these motors? This car would be driven so performance and reliability are prime considerations over keeping it completely original.

I am hoping someone can provide information on solutions to some of these challenges.
I realize many of the interior parts are available from Fusiks but what about sheet metal?
Do Chevy tri-5 floor pans work on these?
I know Buick 54-56 doors interchange but do tri-5 Chevy doors share the same window mechanisms for front and rear?
Do truck lids from 4-door models work on 2-door models?
Where can I get parts to rebuild the rear axle such as axle bearings and differential gears/rebuild kits?
What modfications have others done to the steering? Sub-frames, IFS kits?

Some might cringe at the thought of some of these changes being considered but if this is not done the car will die completely. Of course if someone has a 56 project in progress who can benefit from this car that is always an option. At least some of it will live on. The one part which will be required to start this project though is a title. The process to get one in Texas on a non-op vehicle is onerous and not something I wish to repeat.

I hope I get constructive responses so I can come to a decision I will not lose further sleep over. - Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01499.JPG (188.5 KB, 43 views)
DSC01502.JPG (175.9 KB, 40 views)
DSC01505.JPG (191.4 KB, 38 views)
DSC01500.JPG (190.9 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by HoustonS88; May 27th, 2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: add pics
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Smile

There is a guy on ebay (classicparts4u) who sells replacement floor pans in sections for these (has fronts, rears, toes) - I've gotten for my '55 - also, try www.classicfabrication.com - he makes the pans too.

Tri-5 chevys are very different - don't know why but they are - especially the trunks - I've used pieces for lack of other options, but is some work and not 'correct' - but in most cases better than nothing.

Trunk should be the same 2 door to 4 door

Window regulators and such for chevys are different too - some hardware will work but you're not going to be able to order a complete setup from a catalog (man I hate those guys).

Not sure about your rear axle questions but I'm sure there are sources out there - check out the "all 56 owners ck in" thread on here - tons of 56 guys there.

Me, I'd save it - but I've been known to save things that should have gone away a long long time ago - as my wife kindly reminds me every time she can't make her way through the garage due to 'saved / saving / to be saved' cars.

Keep us updated

gordon