Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1956 Super 88 Canadian paint color??

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM

1956 Super 88 Canadian paint color??

I've just purchased a 1956 Super 88 4 door sedan built in Canada.
I've been searching online and can't find any info on the paint and trim codes.
Here's what I have on the cowl tag:
style 3669D
body 2469
paint 3626
B.S.O. 303-372
trim 938

Currently it's painted two tone. White nose, red roof and back.
I've always seen 56's with the roof matching the hood color not the trunk color.
I've pulled the backseat out and can see remnants of a turquoise like green color.
The interior is red and white, but it has obviously been sprayed because I can see greenish color poking thru here and there on the door panels and steering wheel.

Can anyone help me find out what the codes are. I'd like to return this car to it's original colors.
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I do not know if there is color differences between the US and Canada. I think this is the bigger question, before you can go further. All the color charts I've seen for Olds are US oriented. You may want to contact Dupont or a Ditzler paint representative to find out. Ditzler may not be around anymore, but there is a place in San Diego called Restoration Shop (a mega Auto paint store) that handles Ditzler colors that may be of help: 1 858 909-2110.

Hope this helps.
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM

The paint codes are different between US and Canada, and my paint chart is US as is the interior trim codes...
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Registered

I take it the 3626 is a two-tone paint code?

This place has '56 Olds codes and those numbers but they come up with two different colors for each code?

http://www.carpaintonline.com/paints...=56&ModelId=56

BTW...Welcome.

Last edited by Bluevista; November 20th, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the help and thanks for the link Bluevista.
I just have to figure out which combination of those colors would have been right.
Dark Green OR Arlington Green with Admiralty Blue OR Sandpiper Yellow.
wow...Green and Blue or Green and Yellow....no wonder someone painted it red and white!
Thanks for the welcome too...I've been lurking around here for about a year, but it's been a few years since I owned an Olds.
Old November 21st, 2009, 02:34 AM

If you look under the carpet and other areas that would not have been painted over you might find your colour combo...usually the first number is the lower colour...
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaymann
Thanks for the help and thanks for the link Bluevista.
I just have to figure out which combination of those colors would have been right.
Dark Green OR Arlington Green with Admiralty Blue OR Sandpiper Yellow.
wow...Green and Blue or Green and Yellow....no wonder someone painted it red and white!
Thanks for the welcome too...I've been lurking around here for about a year, but it's been a few years since I owned an Olds.
Glad to help when I can.
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in awhile.

To each their own but the yellow sounds better than the blue with green but you could order about anything you wanted so anything is possible. The green might not look too bad with the blue actually??? I would have to see the colors.

Those were the good old days when you could get green cars with pink interiors and blue roofs just by checking off an order form.
The customer was always right, no questions asked except for "How do you want to pay for this?".
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM

The 1956 Cadillac colors here in the US are 36 and 26, One is Arlington Green and the other is Cobalt Blue. So perhaps the Arlington Green is one match - but don't take that to the bank, just a thought..

Here is a link that shows the colors (USA) for the 1956 Olds. If you find the original colors somewhere on your car, you may be able to match them up with the colors shown on this link:http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/c...r=1956&rows=50

Last edited by Dan Wirth; November 21st, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:18 AM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by jaymann
I've just purchased a 1956 Super 88 4 door sedan built in Canada.
I've been searching online and can't find any info on the paint and trim codes.
Here's what I have on the cowl tag:
style 3669D
body 2469
paint 3626
B.S.O. 303-372
trim 938

Currently it's painted two tone. White nose, red roof and back.
I've always seen 56's with the roof matching the hood color not the trunk color.
I've pulled the backseat out and can see remnants of a turquoise like green color.
The interior is red and white, but it has obviously been sprayed because I can see greenish color poking thru here and there on the door panels and steering wheel.

Can anyone help me find out what the codes are. I'd like to return this car to it's original colors.
If you're still looking for your original colors this would be the best source.
This is a canadian service manual that someone is selling on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-...sQ5fLiterature
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
To each their own but the yellow sounds better than the blue with green
There is a lot of truth in that. I have seen 56 Oldsmobiles painted in Green and Yellow. Although it does not sound all that great, it is quite attractive believe it or not.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Those were the good old days when you could get green cars with pink interiors and blue roofs just by checking off an order form.
The customer was always right, no questions asked except for "How do you want to pay for this?".
How true. Customer service is long gone from car dealerships. I remember when they actually wanted your business, now all they do is make it look like they are doing you some big favor by charging you an exuberant price for a flimsy glorified go cart. What's worse, is you can't even get the features you want in the colors you want. It's like this is what there is, take it or leave it, I don't have time to fool around with you.

It's so utterly ridiculous too. I mean really, you can only get the coupe in green, but can only get white interior with red exterior on a convertible? What kind of crap is that?

If you want one option, you have to buy some stupid package of features that you don't even want to get the one, and then they over charge you about 275% for it. What really slays me is, you can't get this option because it's part of package B and you have chosen package A.

20 years ago I got up and walked out of a dealership in the middle of a deal because of that kind of nonsense, and vowed then and there to never again buy a new car.

They still had the unmitigated gull to tell me that I owed them the non refundable down payment because of all the paperwork, so I politely told them to kiss me where the good Lord made a part.

To this day, I have not set foot in any car dealership, not even to look. As far as I'm concerned, they are nothing but liars and thieves.

Jim.