General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1955 Olds super 88 4dr sedan. Build it or part it?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2018, 01:33 PM

1955 Olds super 88 4dr sedan. Build it or part it?

Picked up a 55 super 88 4dr sedan with the 4 sp automatic on Wednesday. Car is missing generator, radiator and battery cables. In addition it will need a new trunk pan and a right rear quarter panel and dog leg due to cancer. Also front and rear bumpers.

On on the bright side car is ugly but mostly complete. Interior has 2 tears in the front seat and an extremely dirty headliner. No evidence of a crash, straight body aside from mentioned rust. All stainless is either on the car or in the trunk, 2 pieces are bent with kinks. It will need the pull handles recovered on the interior doors. No work needed to dash area, door panels or rear seat. Has all lighting lenses intact or they were found in the trunk I cracked/unbroken.

Car has has its original 324 w/4 barrel and 4 sod tranny, has spent its life in the Phoenix AZ area. Wiring harness has been butchered by previous owner who did not understand the basics of wiring.

Were about out to pull the spark plugs and try to rotate the motor. It will not rotate by hand with the plugs in. If the motor rotated then it will be sent to an engine shop for a reconditioning and I’ll build this 88 as a driver. If we can’t get the motor to rotate and it’s frozen then I will need to decide if I go ahead with another motor for it or do I tear this one down for parts.

Been looking around and and while I do like this old shoebox I’ve noticed parts are not the easiest to find.

Decisions.

Old February 17th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Without pictures it is hard to say. A lot will depend if you are able to get it running. The cost of an engine rebuild would be high $$. On top of that it is a 4 door which doesn't help the value. We really need pictures to help with a decision.
Old February 17th, 2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Without pictures it is hard to say. A lot will depend if you are able to get it running. The cost of an engine rebuild would be high $$. On top of that it is a 4 door which doesn't help the value. We really need pictures to help with a decision.

Old February 17th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
More pics to come as I take them. But these are from the night it slid in the garage
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:13 PM

I don't see anything that would keep me from not restoring to a driver except money. Looks to have good bones.

When ever we venture into these projects it's a non profit affair. If you are looking for a cheap car though you are better off buying one that has been finished or at least the previous owner ran out of ambition or money and didn't finish and sold at a loss. There are deals out there if you have the time to sort through them all.

Remember the 4 D's of opportunity divorcee,death, desire,and debt will always give you a opportunity unless it is happening to you, then it sucks.....Tedd
Old February 17th, 2018, 08:20 PM

I bought the same car / model 4 years ago a barn find from Kansas. If you can do a lot of things yourself it can be done. You'll find a lot of help and support here, good luck !
Old February 18th, 2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by harwooddan
I bought the same car / model 4 years ago a barn find from Kansas. If you can do a lot of things yourself it can be done. You'll find a lot of help and support here, good luck !
Welding in the dog bone, trunk pan and 1 1/4 panel will be what I have to send out for. Just not my expertise. Removing and replacing pieces is a piece of cake, even modification from drum to disc is not hard.

Did some reading on upgrading the power brakes, seems cut and dry except for the peddle ratio might have to be sent out for. Of course paint will be done by a paint shop.

Still haven’t fully decided yet. Looking around for a solid 2!door rolling chassis this one might help finance. I have time to decide.