American Autowire dash harness

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Angry American Autowire dash harness

Has anyone installed on of these units? If so, did the Rally gauge package hook up ok? If the connectors for said gauges where so loose in fitment that a good sneeze would be enough to disconnect them, were you able to remedy this "small" problem. The original wiring harness connectors were nice and snug, as they should be.Also with the originals, you could insert a small jewelers screwdriver blade and remove each wire and crimped end piece from the terminal and adjust for snugness.
Now the American Autowire crimped end pieces on the other hand, could not be removed, even after an hour of trying! Different size jeweller's screwdrivers were tried along with other tapered tools, but to no avail!(Even with the duly required obscenities and various oaths, it was to no success!)
I left a message on the American Autowire answering machine requesting their tech advisor call me on Monday.I shall be able to report on their assistance or lack thereof by Monday nite, because as we all know, customer service is the number one priority in this time of cash strapped customers.A lack of a suitable solution would certainly tarnish the reputation of any company not willing to look after their customers!
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:25 AM

It sounds as if that new harness has a quality problem. Imagine that for a repro part...

Removing each pin and reforming them (or applying a thin solder layer in each contact) would be the best mod, IF you can get them out of the connector without damaging them.
This post shows how to remove the factory ones:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t-working.html

The other alternatives would be to apply a thin layer of solder to each of the pins on the gauges - just enough to increase their diameter. A couple thin strands of wire mashed between the pins and the connectors can work, also.

If you hear back from American autowire, I bet you would be the only one who had complained about this...
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM

I just installed a new harness from a different company it worked fine, though I will say I twice sent them images of a connector in an email and received no response - figured it out with help from folks on here.
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Nope.

But I did rewire my 1978 Camaro with American Autowire Highway 22 kit.
Full aftermarket harness with my 2004 GTO drivetrain in it.

Works beautifully. Just finished it this Spring.
As for their customer service. Their tech guy is great, and I've called him a few times.
All the people on Pro-touring.com and Lateral-G have used them too with much success.
Originally Posted by Bunser
I left a message on the American Autowire answering machine requesting their tech advisor call me on Monday.I shall be able to report on their assistance or lack thereof by Monday nite, because as we all know, customer service is the number one priority in this time of cash strapped customers.A lack of a suitable solution would certainly tarnish the reputation of any company not willing to look after their customers!
You called on the weekend when they are closed.
Don't sell them short until you actually call them on a day they are actually open.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 17th, 2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Nope.

But I did rewire my 1978 Camaro with American Autowire Highway 22 kit.
Full aftermarket harness with my 2004 GTO drivetrain in it.

Works beautifully. Just finished it this Spring.
As for their customer service. Their tech guy is great, and I've called him a few times.
All the people on Pro-touring.com and Lateral-G have used them too with much success.

You called on the weekend when they are closed.
Don't sell them short until you actually call them on a day they are actually open.
Thank you.(Actually, I know some businesses are open on Saturdays, but I did not know they were not one of them, hence I left a message.)
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Loose Radical

semi-hijack----------

stevengerard, what company did you use? Its good to hear there is a good replacement for this stuff. But who?
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by slowolds
semi-hijack----------

stevengerard, what company did you use? Its good to hear there is a good replacement for this stuff. But who?
PMed U
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM

I talked to Tim Anderson from American Autowire this morning.He was quite knowledgeable about their product and agreed to look into it.He called me this afternoon and confirmed that the wrong terminals had been used in the gauge connectors.He proposed a solution which is acceptable.Although I am not from Missouri, I will wait until everything is completely settled before commenting any further.(Well just a quick one...It does appear,however, that American Autowire could be very good to deal with and they believe in customer service!)
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Trust me, their waaaaaay better then Painless in regards to their harnesses IMHO.

I did a Painless install and it definitely WAS NOT painless.
American Autowire has waaaaaay better full systems and waaaaaay better instructions they break down into sub schematics.

They can make ANYONE a wiring expert with how they developed their instructions and support.
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Glad they acknowledged the issue and will do something about it. Most places will say that you are the only one to complain!

Hopefully it is not completely installed in the car yet...
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Trust me, their waaaaaay better then Painless in regards to their harnesses IMHO.

I did a Painless install and it definitely WAS NOT painless.
American Autowire has waaaaaay better full systems and waaaaaay better instructions they break down into sub schematics.

They can make ANYONE a wiring expert with how they developed their instructions and support.

I do not think most companies include instructions or schematics though so that sounds like a bonus right there
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Glad they acknowledged the issue and will do something about it. Most places will say that you are the only one to complain!

Hopefully it is not completely installed in the car yet...
Nope! Hadn't been able to plug the gauges in!