69 442 wiring help

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2019, 01:05 PM

69 442 wiring help

I am trying to make put my engine harness back together. The car has had at least a couple engine swaps. I found a couple wires that were obviously added and stripped them out. I found the purple wire to run to the starter, had to add about 2 feet to bn it to reach. I was able to verify it by testing and it only has voltage with key in start. The yellow wore was missing completely, so I ran a new one from starter to coil. I believe the last wire I need is the regulated one for the coil. There is a black wire that is taped with the purple, but tape looks newer than original. It is about a foot short of reaching the coil. My meter shows it at just over 11v with key on. I don't know of I have the wrong wire, or if it just jas been cut back and now is not functioning, or is there a resistor connected to that wire somewhere, or supposed to be and was removed? I don't want to replace the whole harness at this point, but if that is the right thing at this point i will. Its points ignition. I am hoping to wait with the harness until i rebuild and switch to hei in a couple years.

bob
Old January 30th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Administrator

The resistance wire needs to be checked under load. Connect it to the coil+ terminal, hook up the meter and momentarily ground the coil- terminal.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 07:29 AM

I have only found 3 wires coming through the firewall that seem possible to be my resistance wire. 2 of the 3 have 11 volts though the coil. The other has no power with the key on. Can someone tell me what position in the harness the resistance wire comes through, or where the resistor is so I can try to rewire it?

bob
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:52 AM

Assuming the resistance wire hasn’t been cut out, your going to find it in the bulkhead connector. It is t run thru a grommet in the firewall. Those holes with grommets were used for add-on accessories like cruise control,power seat or convertible tops, etc. I’ll get my service manual and try to get a good picture of which wire on the engine harness is the resistance wire.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:03 AM

I would appreciate it, i have been back and forth between the osm and the car. I eliminated one of the 3, being the one that goes to the brake distributor. The other is the hood light, (has power when switch is on. The other a black going to the firewall plug pointed below. I am guessing that this is the wire, minus the resistor. So is it an actual resistor, or a certain type of wire that is missing?

bob