Installing new dash harness - thought I'd provide pics

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2018, 05:00 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Installing new dash harness - thought I'd provide pics

Finally diving into my dash harness replacement, something I should have done while the dash was more fully apart for the prior Vintage Air install - but, it is what it is... It's an original condition harness that had never been messed with but after a turn signal fuse blew recently while I was traveling on the highway at night and shut my engine down, I decided it was time..

In pulling some of the wrap back, the harness ultimately looked really good for its age, only one visibly questionable wire showing signs of a potentially impending overheat condition (see pics) - but a 46 year old main harness is still more than I'm comfortable trusting my prized ragtop to...

With careful and patient efforts, I was able to remove my existing dash harness just by removing the dash gauges, radio and lower a/c vent panel (in my case split panels, I have a center gauge console dividing them), ultimately being able to pull the entire harness out through the fuel pod hole. Was not without some minor hiccups though, parts of the harness extensions were routed between the back of the dash and the metal frame braces, making it a bit tricky at times. In addition, the factory courtesy lamp harness is apparently attached to the main harness, essentially necessitating its removal, at least in large part, before I realized it was actually a separate piece.

I labeled any connections not immediately obvious, to ensure I wouldn't mix anything up on the reinstall. I've replaced these on other cars in the past but still never hurts to insure your efforts.

Ultimately going to replace the courtesy harness as well for best measure though it too looked good. Will hopefully have all back together again by the weekend, time and patience permitting...

Last edited by 70sgeek; December 10th, 2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old December 10th, 2018, 05:25 PM

Good for you. Where did you get the harness from?
Old December 10th, 2018, 06:08 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

OPGI had a recent sale. $430 shipped direct from M&H. Couldn't pass it up for that price
Old December 10th, 2018, 07:08 PM

Seems to be quite a few suppliers out there. Do you know of any to stay away from? Is M&H made in USA?
Old December 10th, 2018, 11:55 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

M&H is the arguably the best reproduction harness manufacturer in the market. They are US and always available by phone or email to discuss any problems or special specifications you may need for your wiring. Been using their products for years