Cleaning and taping engine wires

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Chris

Cleaning and taping engine wires

hello! What is the best thing to use to clean grease and oil and dirt off of my engine wires and cables?? And what kind of tape should I use on the sections wheee the tape is unraveling? Any brands or types you would recommend?
Old November 18th, 2018, 05:58 PM

From a restoration standpoint other members may have better suggestions; but, Scotch 33 electrical tape is good stuff.
Old November 18th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Running On Empty

To clean them, I generally take a shop rag & spray it with some PB Penetrating Catalyst fluid then grab the wire(s) and slide the penetrated rag down the wire(s) several times before a final dry rag.
For restoring the tape or replacing the tape I use a cloth/fabric tape - which is nearly identical to the original electrical wiring tape. Ace Hardware or many hardware stores carry fabric/cloth tape.
There are several brands of electrical wiring loom harness tape on the market; but, the cloth/fabric wiring loom harness tape works the best, IMO.
Additionally, for long runs of wire you want bundled, you can use Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable. There are various styles and manufacturers of this material.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...cal-tape/30982
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...l-tape/3585254

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 18th, 2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old November 18th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Old November 18th, 2018, 08:38 PM

friction tape is the bomb !!!!

sticks to itself .... doesnt come loose under heat.... I like the 3m from home repo

yes ... a rag with some juice on it... GLOVES ...more rags... more juice

power wash ? ..... good ole gas ... then a final wipe with clean gas n rags

old towels with fuzzy stil on em rather than a shop towe l works better ...

no real fast easy way if its still under your hood and your car is immobile

just time n wipen ..... and fresh air ...... tear your towel into 10" squares so its manageable
Old November 18th, 2018, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
hello! What is the best thing to use to clean grease and oil and dirt off of my engine wires and cables?? And what kind of tape should I use on the sections wheee the tape is unraveling? Any brands or types you would recommend?
I have used Acetone with great success to clean wires. There is actually 'wire wrapping tape' sold in many places that will give the OEM look to your wire bundles.
Old November 19th, 2018, 06:53 AM

I really like Silicone Tape. It used to be impossible to find locally, but now all the auto stores have at least one roll on the shelves. Won't goop up like electrical tape since there's no adhesive. You may have to knot the loose end or go back and trim off the bit that doesn't stick after a few days.
Old November 19th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

I just use lacquer thinner to clean the wires. Dampen a rag and wipe. So long as you don't soak the wires in lacquer thinner, there is no problem. Been doing this for 40 years now.

As for tape, the factory tape is non-adhesive plastic tape. It gets tied at the ends. Many repro houses sell the correct tape. Whatever you do, do NOT use regular adhesive electrical tape. The adhesive lasts about a month in the underhood heat, at which point it starts to ooze out and forms a horrible, sticky mess. As for the self-fusing silicone tape, just hope you never have to take it apart. There's a reason why the factory used what it did.
Old November 19th, 2018, 08:17 AM

Use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Super-33-Electrical-carton/dp/B0000AZ9HG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542643955&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=3m+electrical+tape&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Super-33-Electrical-carton/dp/B0000AZ9HG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542643955&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=3m+electrical+tape&psc=1

Not this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-...ape-63239.html
Old November 19th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I just use lacquer thinner to clean the wires. Dampen a rag and wipe. So long as you don't soak the wires in lacquer thinner, there is no problem. Been doing this for 40 years now.

As for tape, the factory tape is non-adhesive plastic tape. It gets tied at the ends. Many repro houses sell the correct tape. Whatever you do, do NOT use regular adhesive electrical tape. The adhesive lasts about a month in the underhood heat, at which point it starts to ooze out and forms a horrible, sticky mess. As for the self-fusing silicone tape, just hope you never have to take it apart. There's a reason why the factory used what it did.
As Joe said, you DO NOT WANT TO USE ELECTRICAL TAPE. You will end up with a gooey mess.
Old November 19th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Chris

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!