72 Gauge light issues at night

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2018, 02:39 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

72 Gauge light issues at night

Have all light working on the car besides the Instrument lights, cant see dash at night, changed all bulbs behind the clusters to rule out bad bulbs, 4 amp fuse is good, and checked the fuse panel with an ohm meter and it has juice, when the car is in gear and I unplug the seat belt it will light up the belt light, as well when starting the car the hot light will light up..dome light works when spun all the way, so is it the switch?, noticed I'm missing a ground strap as in this pic I found in a thread...tried jumping a wire from those 2 bolts to make a connection just to test it out and it made no difference...what am I missing thanks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (252.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by skyhigh; August 7th, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old August 7th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Do you have voltage on the fuse when the headlights are on? Is the 20A fuse marked TAIL good and is there voltage there also?
Old August 7th, 2018, 02:55 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Yeah I pulled the headlight **** out and have juice on the 4amp fuse, the tail light work, side markers and such work so I would assume the 20amp fuse is good...just the instrument panel is being a bugger lol

Last edited by skyhigh; August 7th, 2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old August 7th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Is there a light in the ashtray, temp control, or clock? You need to follow the gray wires and see where the voltage is lost. Also check the grounds.
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:19 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

I don't have a light in the ashtray, maybe the 4 door didn't have them? the hot light only comes on when I start the car and no light in the clock, not sure there is one since its just a gauge with no arms lol, but I will trace out the gray wire when I can..I am missing that ground piece with the pic I posted in post 1..the guy that I got the car from had an aftermarket stereo in the car..I have all ready found some wrong wiring he has done, think this will be the last piece of the puzzle to straighten out, that gray wire does look interesting in the wiring diagram..

EDIT:

well running out of light for the night but its a wiring nightmare behind that stereo, I did manage to see a single gray wire up there not plugged into anything, as well as a black and green, those look interesting...looks like the guy used the orange for the power in the stereo, so the cigarette lighter wont work anymore..probably gonna have to pull the stereo to have a better look up in there..

Last edited by skyhigh; August 7th, 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old August 11th, 2018, 11:32 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Well I pulled the stereo and I see a single gray unplugged up there, a single orange, and a green and black combined plug, don't see any colors that match up, the gray and orange will plug together but that don't seem right and I don't see anything that the black and green would plug into, is it possible those are just extra wires if I had a clock?..I really need some help please..the cigarette wire wasn't plugged into its spot so I plugged that in..

I think this is the area I need to be looking at but its confusing, I really suck at wiring

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (446.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by skyhigh; August 11th, 2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old August 11th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Administrator

If you look at your drawing... You said your tail lights work and with the headlight switch you have 12v at the 4A INST LPS fuse on both sides. That means that everything works before and to the fuse. You need to follow the gray wire from the INST LPS fuse to the lamps and see why you have no power there.

The orange wire is possibly for the clock power, the black and green possibly from the stock radio. Again the only wire you should be tracing is the gray one.
Old August 11th, 2018, 04:13 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

I have it narrowed down to a ground issue in there somewhere, I will keep at it..

Edit, got the night lights working, maybe it was because i pulled the clip off the gauge and re seated it, only hick up is the right turn signal in the dash not lighting up now, and it has a fresh bulb, might have to pull the gauge again lol

Last edited by skyhigh; August 20th, 2018 at 03:18 AM.