Generator light remains on

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2016, 06:06 AM

Generator light remains on

The car is a 1961 Dynamic 88 with a 35 amp generator. The generator warning light does not illuminate when I turn the ignition on indicating (according to the maintenance manual) that the generator has an open circuit. On start up the light illuminates brightly then dims slightly but never extinguishes completely. The generator was working until I was trying to replace the left turn signal indicator light. I didn't disconnect the battery, thinking maybe the fuse is blown (odd component on the regulator battery terminal). There is no troubleshooting guide. Thoughts?
Old July 24th, 2016, 09:58 AM

check all fuses. If you have the fuse on the reg terminal, you can eliminate it for testing.
Old July 25th, 2016, 06:03 AM

I have checked all the fuses including the Generator 35 amp. I started cleaning terminals and they all were dirty. I was fixed on the generator light and didn't notice that none of the warning lights came on prior to start. Also when I tried to get a voltage reading from the cigarette lighter plug no voltage present, and the radio doesn't come on either. The headlights do illuminate both on high and low beam. I am thing the ground system is open. I am going to jumper the ground cable directly to the body at the firewall. See what happens?????
Old July 26th, 2016, 06:10 AM

I did jumper the ground to no avail. The tail lights/license light illuminate. I have power in the fuse box for the cigarette lighter but not at the fixture (could be a separate problem, never use the lighter). Still no annunciator lights with ignition switch to on prior to start, the circuit is hot as the turn signals do work (without instrument panel direction indication). Studying the wiring diagram all of these components go through the ignition switch, going to focus on it.
Old July 28th, 2016, 05:30 PM

I have not found the problem, yet. After tracing the wiring diagram seems all related inop lights etc go through the ignition switch. So I ordered a new switch, we will see if I guessed right.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Well not the ignition switch! The good thing, the switch is easy to change. I do have power at the switch and the ground tested ok. No warning lights when ignition on prior to start and the radio does not come on? Engine starts and runs good all the while the generator light remains on.
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Check your fuses again look at each one individually. Also check your instrument cluster connector.
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:56 PM

I found it, I found it!!!!!!! The plug came off the instrument panel wiring harness (cluster connector). A big thank you to Oldcutlass! That plug is positioned way behind the steering post and not only is it virtually invisible but it looked like it was connected (when I touched the plug it just fell off. That explaines why components started to just stop working, as the pins lost contact off went another indicator. Well all those connectors needed cleaning anyway and the car has a new ignition switch. I knew it would be something simple when I found it. YES, YES, YES !!! Another successful repair.
Old August 6th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Glad its fixed.