55 Olds vexing me

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2018, 01:13 PM

55 Olds vexing me

Does anyone have a diagram of which post on the distributor cap the #1 is for the 55 Olds. And the wiring harness coming into the engine compartment has the yellow ignition wire a green wire for the heater gauge and a black wire of which I have no clue where it connects? HELP
Old May 23rd, 2018, 01:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The number one wire is the first one on the drivers side of the front clip that holds the cap down. Remember the distributor turns CCW. Where does the black wire come into the engine compartment? If you don't have a factory service manual you really should buy one. They are on ebay and prices are all over the board. You should be able to get one for $30 or $35. It will be the best money you ever spend on your car.
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:12 AM

Pull the plug on #1(driver side front plug) and find top dead center. Take the cap off and see which hole the rotor is pointing at. It should be as redoldsman said unless someone has played with the distributor but use that hole as number one where ever it is pointing.And as mentioned above Oldsmobile distributors rotate counter clock wise unlike their Chevy brothers.

Are you talking about a heat gauge or the heater hot lead?... Tedd
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ranmat2
Does anyone have a diagram of which post on the distributor cap the #1 is for the 55 Olds. And the wiring harness coming into the engine compartment has the yellow ignition wire a green wire for the heater gauge and a black wire of which I have no clue where it connects? HELP

You may have to clarify your questions about the wire color codes. There is a 16 gauge yellow wire that goes from the ignition starter switch to the ignition coil's resistor. There is an 18 gauge green wire that goes from the temperature gauge sender on the engine to the temperature gauge on the dashboard. There is an 18 gauge black wire that goes from the + side of the ignition coil to the starter's solenoid. There are other yellow, green, and black wires on the car. I'm trying to guess which you are talking about.