1970 CS MSD Distributor

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2016, 05:03 PM

1970 CS MSD Distributor

Hi Guys,

Not quite ready yet but getting everything in order. Looking to remove the stock points distributor and drop in an MSD Ready-To-Run setup designed for the Olds 350. I like the all-in-one design and keeping it simple.

Where I would like some advice and more importantly instructions is for the 12v wire from ignition to the new coil. MSD's overview states a 12v switched source should be use, such as the ignition but I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to that.

Am I able to use the wire that was going to the terminal on my stock GM coil or do I need to run a new wire? If I do have to run a new wire, how do I do it? Do I run a wire to the fuse panel or to the ignition switch in the steering column? If i'm running to the fuse panel, do I add a connector that allows me to 'split' that circuit (1 for coil, 1 for ignition switch)?

I'm sure I'm taking something simple and making it complicated but I don't want to F anything up. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm still learning this stuff and don't have much experience with this. I was hoping there were videos out there for this and all I've found show detailed instructions for everything but this 12v wire hookup.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 05:16 PM
Administrator

On your fuse box there is a 1/4 spade terminal marked IGN. Connect a 12ga wire to it and run it to your new coil+ terminal. Then follow the wiring instructions for the rest of your system. Cap and stow the original 2 wires that used to connect to your old coil.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
On your fuse box there is a 1/4 spade terminal marked IGN. Connect a 12ga wire to it and run it to your new coil+ terminal. Then follow the wiring instructions for the rest of your system. Cap and stow the original 2 wires that used to connect to your old coil.
Thanks Eric! Pardon the dumb question as I haven't gone out to the car to look yet but what if the IGN terminal already has a wire to it?
Old October 2nd, 2016, 05:31 PM

Also, can I pick your brain on another question? When I'm going through the install of the actual distributor and after I've marked my current position, found TDC on compression, etc, my factory timing is about 12 BTDC but will I need to do any timing adjustments with the new setup or is it fairly plug and play as long as things are lined up where they should be? I'm assuming my total timing will change due to new setup but wanted to see if I needed to do anything in particular.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Thanks Eric! Pardon the dumb question as I haven't gone out to the car to look yet but what if the IGN terminal already has a wire to it?
Lets check and see first.

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Also, can I pick your brain on another question? When I'm going through the install of the actual distributor and after I've marked my current position, found TDC on compression, etc,

Should be pointing to #1 spark plug wire.

my factory timing is about 12 BTDC but will I need to do any timing adjustments with the new setup or is it fairly plug and play as long as things are lined up where they should be?

Your stock timing settings will no longer apply, your timing curve needs to be setup based on the performance level of your engine.

I'm assuming my total timing will change due to new setup but wanted to see if I needed to do anything in particular.
Your total timing will be relatively the same. As stated above its the curve that changes.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 06:14 PM

Lets check and see first.

Your total timing will be relatively the same. As stated above its the curve that changes.
Thanks as always Eric! Much appreciated.