Wire boot for sending unit

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2020 | 04:22 PM

Wire boot for sending unit

I replaced the sending unit on my 72 Cutlass. When removing the old one, the rubber wire boot for the sender wire was destroyed.....or at least the metal inside the boot was.

I can't seem to find it anywhere. Ordered the new part from original parts group. They didn't provide a new boot and don't sell them. Had no luck locally through Oreilly, Napa, etc. Tried Grainger and struck out there as well.

SOS. I need help and quick. My wife is going to drvie me crazy if she complains about the gas tank on the floor of the garage one more time
Old July 7th, 2020 | 04:29 PM
Running On Empty

I'm not sure you might find solely the boot but I know ILT sells a complete wire assembly including the boot. Is this what you are seeking?

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/inl10613

Old July 7th, 2020 | 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by NorthBay72supreme
I replaced the sending unit on my 72 Cutlass. When removing the old one, the rubber wire boot for the sender wire was destroyed.....or at least the metal inside the boot was.
From what I recall, that is just a straight push-on connector like a bullet connector. You should be able to get one at the local hardware store. Get the old one out of the rubber, cut it off, crimp the new one onto the end of the wire, then stuff it back into the rubber.

f

Old July 7th, 2020 | 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
From what I recall, that is just a straight push-on connector like a bullet connector. You should be able to get one at the local hardware store. Get the old one out of the rubber, cut it off, crimp the new one onto the end of the wire, then stuff it back into the rubber.
It is a 90' push-on connector. A straight push-on would be too tall to fit between the tank and the underside of the trunk floor. I bought the Inline Tube version that Norm posted. It is a well-made piece. The rubber boot is soft and pliable, and seals well around the sending unit's connector. You might be able to make a straight connector work if you bent it, but you will not get a good seal when installed.
Old July 8th, 2020 | 11:27 AM

That's the one! Thanks a MIL!
Old July 8th, 2020 | 11:46 AM

Seems as it would be simple enough to solder the wire onto the straight connector so it's at 90 degrees. Oh well, I'm a DIY kinda guy but others may not be as "creative" in their solutions to problems as I am.