Wipers parking the middle

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Wipers parking the middle

my 65 Cutlass wiper motor, a new Cardone unit, which at first wouldnt shut off now parks in the middle when shut off...WTF any ideas? its the third motor I have tried...
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Could be the switch or is it "clocked" right?
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM

When it is wiping its great...wipers appear to be in the correct locations...just moves the same centre location when shut off...Has never worked properly and is a new unit not one of their rebuilds...I think these units have cams to trigger the park? Its a two speed non-round motor
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442scotty
When it is wiping its great...wipers appear to be in the correct locations...just moves the same centre location when shut off...Has never worked properly and is a new unit not one of their rebuilds...I think these units have cams to trigger the park? Its a two speed non-round motor
Yes they do. I had trouble with the one on my 98 and a buddy (mechanic/service advisor) took it apart and showed me the guts. The cam the wiper uses is really wierd looking; it's made of plastic and the 'cam' looks more like a raised worm trail. If it's not working properly right out of the box I'd send it back, or ask if they got the right application. If you still have the original maybe a good idea to take the housing apart to see how the cam is positioned. What happened to the old unit that it needed replacing? Guessing a burnt out motor?