What is this wire for?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM

What is this wire for?

I found this wire tucked behind my fuse box today and I don't know what it connects to . Any clues?? It's brown with a
white stripe. (sorry its so small I'm trying to learn how to down size)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AAA3 008.jpg (18.9 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by FATRATMATT; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: picture too small
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM

A little better? I think.
Attached Images
AAA3 011.jpg (43.0 KB, 65 views)
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM

i am not sure but is it the wire that goes to the emergency brake peddle to turn on the brake light when pushed?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Geezer

That thing looks somewhat like the end of a fuse holder for some sort of aftermarket gadget like a CB radio. Would be unusual for a wire that short at the fuse box to be factory on any car.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM

I've looked at the emergency brake pedal and can't find anywhere that this would connect, BUT I notice that the light on the cluster does not light up when the brake is set. The wire comes out from the back of the fuse box with many other wires. I pulled back the carpet and the mystery wire looks like it runs towards the driverside of the car.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM

I believe the '68 wiring harness has a brown wire with a fuse for the Rally Pack. Not really sure why you'd have one on the Delmont, however.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM

Does the Rally Pack wire harness have a white stripe on it? Is it possible the harnesses were all the same, I have found power connections for..a electric clock, a map light, and under dash courtesy lights that did not come on this car. The connector on the end of this wire looks like a stiffer wire would be plugged into it. (It has a hole in the center of hard plastic)
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by FATRATMATT
I've looked at the emergency brake pedal and can't find anywhere that this would connect, BUT I notice that the light on the cluster does not light up when the brake is set. The wire comes out from the back of the fuse box with many other wires. I pulled back the carpet and the mystery wire looks like it runs towards the driverside of the car.

Okay, I must be dense but how could the wire be running to the driver's side if the end you are holding in the photo is connected to the fuse block? Does the end in the photo appear to be some sort of socket or connector when looking down into it?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM

The end of the wire I'm holding goes behind the fuse box at the top. The wire that runs towards the driverside comes out of the bottom of the fuse box. If you can enlarge my picture you can see it running out the bottom.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

The e-brake pedal should have a pin switch screwed into the top of it. It looks pretty much like a door jamb switch and is designed to make contact when the pedal is pushed. There is a single wire with a bullet connector that attaches to the pin switch. It looks like what you have in your hand.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM

Could this be the point of contact. I've looked all around the brake pedal and this looks like it could be it BUT It seems that I'm missing a piece.
Attached Images
AAA3 019.jpg (67.7 KB, 48 views)
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM

Yep, you are missing the switch part that mounts in that silver bracket.
Grounding that brown wire should make the brake light glow when the IGN is on (providing the bulb is still good...)
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM

Thanks Lady72NRob71, Joe, 68Tom, Texascarnut, Jensen Racing 77, for your help in solving this mystery. Lady72NRob71 I know the light on the dash works cause when I first got the car it was low on brake fluid (Thats the only thing I didnt check!!) and when I drove it to it's first show, The pedal went to the floor on the way home. There nothing scarier then having your pedal go to the floor and a red idiot light come on at the same time. So now I guess I have a new piece to hunt down, It should be fairly easy to find this one. The last part of my vacation will be in Ohio and I know of a yard that has a couple of 68 98's and a 4 door Delmont. Thanks again everyone
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:41 AM

I had a heck of a time finding one for my 65 Cutlass. Finally contacted these guys.
www.eastwestautoparts.com
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dingusboy
I had a heck of a time finding one for my 65 Cutlass. Finally contacted these guys.
www.eastwestautoparts.com
Finding what, an ebrake switch? They are used on just about every GM car and truck with a foot pedal ebrake.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Finding what, an ebrake switch? They are used on just about every GM car and truck with a foot pedal ebrake.
This was one of GM's widely-used interchangable parts.