washer pump

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2018, 02:47 PM

washer pump

curious if anyone could help out with this issue ?whenever i turn my windshield wipers on in my 1980 cutlass the washer pump runs .pumped out a reservoir full of fluid today driving in the rain .im not good at electrical issues .can i disconnect the pump and still use the wipers?i pulled the two wire connector on the front of the motor and had no effect .
Old June 28th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
curious if anyone could help out with this issue ?whenever i turn my windshield wipers on in my 1980 cutlass the washer pump runs .pumped out a reservoir full of fluid today driving in the rain .im not good at electrical issues .can i disconnect the pump and still use the wipers?i pulled the two wire connector on the front of the motor and had no effect .

The stock pump is driven by a pawl that engages the wiper motor drive shaft. A solenoid energizes when you use the pump to pull this pawl into position. If the problem is just a short on the solenoid, then yes you can pull the wires. Be aware that if you have delay wipers with a three wire connector going to the pump, one of those three wires is required for the wipers to work. Non-delay wipers with only a two wire connector to the pump do not have this issue.

If the problem is a stuck pawl or broken spring, then pulling the wires will not deactivate the pump, as it will still be mechanically linked to the wiper motor drive shaft. In this case, simply disconnect the hose from the washer reservoir to the pump for now.

If you have removed the pump recently (like just before this problem started), be aware that there is a finicky alignment procedure to get the pump cam properly lined up with the drive mechanism in the motor gearbox. Do this wrong and you create all sorts of pump problems.

If the pump itself is bad, I strongly recommend the new Trico pump with the small internal motor. This completely eliminates the interaction between the pump and the wiper motor itself. I have a couple of them installed on my cars now and I love them. P/N 11515 is for non-delay wipers, P/N 11516 is for delay wipers. Either one is about $8 at RockAuto.

Old June 28th, 2018, 02:01 PM

thank you Joe, always a big help.ill check the things mentioned and most likely order that pump.cant go wrong on the price.