Warm/hot starting issues

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Warm/hot starting issues

Recently bought a bone-stock, 1-owner '66 Delta 88 Hi-Comp 425 2bbl SP TH400. Had intermittent starting problems hot or cold - replaced positive battery cable/clamp. Now only has occasional problems starting after being driven for awhile. If I leave the hood up and wait an hour or so - fires right up like it does 1st thing in the morning. I heard that starters can overheat - is this true? This only happens once in awhile, though. I can drive, park, restart, drive some more, blah, blah, blah...and it's OK. But occasionally I will turn the ignition key to the right to start and...nothing (insert cricket noises). No solenoid death rattle, and all electrical looks fine (lights, radio, idiot lights).

I looked through the posts, but I found nothing similar to my issues. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:22 AM

I would suspect the following:

Neutral safety switch (if the 66 had one.) Can you "jiggle the handle" (gear shift lever) and get it to start?

Ignition switch intermittant connection. Will jiggling this help? My Harley suffered from this issue...

If not the above, then perhaps it is the starter solenoid. I know very little about the Deltas, but if the starter is right by the exhaust manifold or headers, then it may be getting heat soaked. The 455 Cutlasses had a heat shield installed between the starter and exhaust to help with this problem. Yes, there are heat soak issues with the Olds starters from back then.

Do you have a wiring diagram and a volt meter? If so you can trace the problem much easier.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM

I had the same problem when I first got my 455 - 442. The started acted as if the battery was weak or no good, even when I replaced the battery. It turned out to be the starter. I replaced the starter with a high torque starter with a heat shield. Presto...the problem went away and has never returned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442 03.jpg (78.9 KB, 8 views)
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Will try the jiggle trick next time it won't start and go from there. Thanks for the suggestions - will let you know what happens.
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Registered

Sounds like a hot soak starter problem as mentioned, actually the solenoid gets so hot it won't function until it cools. It picks up heat after you shut the car off , usually will start right after it's shut down or after sitting for a few hours or until it cools. It just depends on the conditions, sometimes you can beat on them and they will go, co2 fire extinguisher, water, don't recommend any, it used to be real common. I have had a few cars, especially Pontiacs, that did that, the solenoid heat shield is important, usually they got thrown away with the side brace.

Allan H

Last edited by Bluevista; August 7th, 2008 at 07:54 PM.