U21 Temp Sensor Mod

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2012, 09:24 PM

U21 Temp Sensor Mod

Has anyone tried to modify the aftermarket gauge temp sensor to make it look like an original with the spade connector? I'm thinking about trying it on the 72 I'm doing. I just saw a correct NOS sensor on eBay for 500.00 - yikes.

It looks like you could grind off the "button" on the aftermarket one, take a spade connector out of an old harness and bend a 90 at the end of it. Drill a hole in it at that end, and then either solder it or peen down the end of the stem over the hole. Worried about potential connectivity/conductivity issues - Should I Be? I just hate that rig I have with cutting a slot on the connector to make it work.
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:00 PM

It could be because its past my bedtime... the older I get the earlier that is I'm not following what your describing. Is it the temperature sensor that screws into the intake that you need to replace? Could you post a picture? Maybe a link to the ebay add too? If you don't mind doing some polishing it seems like you should be able to find a good used one for a fraction of the ebay one.

John
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You should be able to solder a spade terminal onto a screw terminal one way or another.

Not knowing how the sender is constructed inside, there is always a chance that the heat from soldering might damage connections or insulation inside, but you could try on an old one first and see how it works.

- Eric
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Supercarsunlimited sells a repro temp sensor, not exact, but might be easier)
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check out the repro and see which way to go.
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
It could be because its past my bedtime... the older I get the earlier that is I'm not following what your describing. Is it the temperature sensor that screws into the intake that you need to replace? Could you post a picture? Maybe a link to the ebay add too? If you don't mind doing some polishing it seems like you should be able to find a good used one for a fraction of the ebay one.

John

John, it was worded a little vaguely. It's the temp sensor/sending unit that screws into the intake manifold for cars equipped with the Rallye Pak. All the aftermarket (and even GM service units after approx 1977) have a button on the top to connect to the wire, while the earlier GM OE and service ones have a spade terminal sticking straight up.
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Joe,

Have you thought of finding a used temp sender? I rarely see them go bad.
Old December 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe, I don't know if this is what you're looking for. It might work but don't know 100%.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/rally-gauge-...c2a9ba&vxp=mtr

I know it's dangerous to assume, but the chances of GM using a 'universal' thread on the coolant blocks is pretty high.
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM

I just bought one and it looks very close to the original. Honestly, I can't remember where I got it but it for sure wasn't any $500.00. More like $30.00 There are some very inexpensive ones on ebay that might work and some are only $10-12.00. I'm sure somebody here can tell you some sources---Fusick, InLine Tube, Year One, they all list them. I know Kryta from InLine tube is an Olds guy and I THINK I got mine from him (but without the receipt wouldn't swear to it). I've always been happy with his products and service and buy a lot of stuff from him.
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why not just solder a ring terminal and a spade terminal together, screw the ring terminal to the sender, and plug the wire onto the spade terminal?

- Eric
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Why not just solder a ring terminal and a spade terminal together, screw the ring terminal to the sender, and plug the wire onto the spade terminal?

- Eric
Actually, if you do it right, you could unfold the crimp on the ring connector and trim to the size needed, then bend the newly trimmed area 90° and solder the connector to the pin on the sender. Voila! no need to solder 2 terminals together.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Very true, Allan, and if done well, it could be a nearly perfect modification.

For those less meticulous, an 18ga conector end would probably fit inside a 10ga connector end, allowing a good solder joint.

- Eric
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:09 AM

I believe that American Autowire or Lectric Limited has the repro sender with the correct terminal.

I have one on my car.
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just checked American Autowire. Must be something wrong - the info comes up but the image isn't there. Maybe someone else can try and see if it pulls up a picture. Their part number for the sender is 06402383. $27.00 is a decent price.