Turn Signal Switch Extra Wires

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2024, 04:59 AM

Turn Signal Switch Extra Wires

Recently purchased a NOS replacement turn signal switch, Delco Remy part number 1997939, for my 1970 Cutlass Supreme. The new switch, which is identical to my original, has 3 extra wires on the one end that I'm trying to figure out what worked. My car came with cruise and I have the wire for that on my turn signal stock so I don't think it's that. Looks to be a gray wire, gray with black and white and a black or brown wire. I have the CSM wiring diagram but can't tell from that. Anyone know? Thanks.
Old June 15th, 2024, 05:36 AM
Running On Empty

I'll shoot from the hip & take a SWAG to suggest the switch is not the exact same OEM NOS wiring loom connector for your specific 1970 CS because I believe (guessing) those three extra wires are for a vehicle w/ cornering lamps. I don't believe cornering lamps were an option for any 1970 A-Body. Although, there are evidently a couple scenarios for which this switch is applicable for some 1970 model years depending on steering column.

I haven't done a deep-dive into validating this, but the URL link below provides some clue as to the application for the 1997939 switch. The information provided on the site (below) is most generally pretty accurate. Others might know specifically what those wires are for. Good Luck!

https://oldsobsolete.com/products-pa...97939-1997964/

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 15th, 2024 at 05:38 AM.
Old June 15th, 2024, 06:54 AM

Hi Vintage Chief and eh70. Vintage, I think you may be correct on the cornering light idea, I have seen, albeit rarely, Pontiac Lemans of that time period having cornering lights. I also saw them on a GTO. Wondered why they were never offered on the upscale Oldsmobile and Buick A-bodies. My guess is that the other divisions did not think the particular buyers, sometimes more sport oriented, would care for them. But, Pontiac was the 'sporty' division of GM! Who knows. The lights looked like they came from a full-size Pontiac. We have them on our 66 full-size Olds, we call them ditch lights, because turning into some narrow driveways in the dark countryside, they come in very handy! I am sure if the wire coding colors are the same, you can use the new switch with no worries!
Just be sure the upper part is the same, though it will have the extra contacts up there to allow cornering lights to operate!
Old June 15th, 2024, 07:05 AM
Running On Empty

Vista - Dad's cars back in the days 1950s/1960s had cornering lights - he was a Buick guy (Invicta, LeSabre, Wildcat & 225). I think his all had cornering lamps, but yeah - pretty cool. They didn't shine far, but enough not to drive into the roadside ditch.
Old June 15th, 2024, 09:25 AM

Thanks guys. The seller listed it as fitting my car. The rest of the wires all color match and go to the same place on the upper part. And yes, it just has the extra connectors that shouldn't affect operation. And since the extra wires won't be connected to anything at the plug, it shouldn't matter. Thanks again.